Cockpit

* User Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Who's Online

• *Users: 3
  • *Guests: 19
  • *Total: 22

Our Discord

Author Topic: Operating System Blues  (Read 383 times)

Offline n4208t

• Forum GURU
  • Aviation Enthusiast
  • First Name: Steve
  • Home Location: Eagan, MN
Operating System Blues
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »

I LOVE the Blues.  Chicago Blues.  Delta Blues.  Texas Blues.  Any Blues.  You name it.  But when it comes to flying sims, I hate the OS Blues and our friends at Microsoft seem to be just making it worse and worse as time goes on.  And, as someone who flies turboprops, which FS, FSX, and P3D has never really mastered well, it is even more of a pain.

Even with the Windows Update Blocker I uploaded I have had it.  MS slipped another update in and now my com ports are not being recognized and I need to reinitialize my ethernet adapter every time I boot the main box.  So, as I write this, I have reformatted my main C: SSD drive and am going back to  Windows 8.1.

But that us not why I am writing this.  There may be some good news on the horizon.  I am running Linux Mint 19 on one of my laptops but Linux, in all of its various formats, does not work with P3D,  Even if you try using some of the Linux software to run Windows (like Wine and its counterparts) or a Virtual Machine, it will not work because it cannot address or handle DX10 or 11.  No one has apparently been able to figure out how to do that and lots have tried.  On the other hand, if you run only X-Plane, you CAN run X-Plane in a Linux environment and a bunch of folks have successfully done so and apparently it will run faster and smoother than on windows.

But for us who are mostly P3D addicted all is not lost.  As Windows 7 winds down to the final bell, new developers are finally starting to pop up with alternative operating systems.  These are not Windows emulators but new operating systems that have the ability to natively run Windows applications.  Indeed, they (so far) look a lot like Windows 7 but are legal because they the code has been written from scratch.  I have not tested these yet as they are in early alpha but I have my eye on two of these, one called ReactOS and the other called HAIKU and I suspect there will be more.

The key will be whether the myriad of add-ons can be tweaked to work and I, for one, am not about to put something like this on my sim....yet.  But I may just blow out that Linux Mint OS on the laptop and give ReactOS a whirl and see if I can get FSX to boot up and run and start playing with things.

If anyone else has any other info on this subject would love to hear about it.  Otherwise, I will post if/when I have anything more to add.

Steve

Offline n4208t

• Forum GURU
  • Aviation Enthusiast
Re: Operating System Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
Does not seem to be much interest in this topic so this will likely be my last post.  I have gone ahead and tested both of these new OS on a Lenovo i5 laptop.  ReactOS is easily installed and looks a lot like and acts like Windows NT.  But it is truly in an early alpha stage and not really usable at this point in time.  I could not get the network to load, even with a direct ethernet connection, and there are virtually no drivers though the built in apps work just fine.

HAIKU is in Beta 1 release and is much further along.  Also easy to install and easily connects to my home network via wi-fi.  All of the built in stuff seems to work just fine including a web browser and there is already a GitHUB repository of software.  Interface-wise and learning curve is higher.  It seems to me more Linux like and not as close to Windows than the ReactOS but it is more stable and further along so I am going to continue to play with it.

That's it for now.  I do expect that these or others will mature as time goes on.  As for me, I enjoy playing with this stuff (I have beta tested 2 versions of windows for Microsoft) but my sim is back to running on Windows 8.1 Enterprise and doing great.  And Windows 8.1 allows you to shut off ALL windows updates.  Ah, the good old days.

Happy flying.

Offline jackpilot

• I am chained to this website!
  • 737-800 Sim-Avionics/Full Cockpit FDS + OEM P3D V4
  • First Name: Jack
  • Home Location: Montreal / Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
There IS interest... alternatives to W-10 "overreach" are certainly worth consideration from cockpit builders.
 I do read your posts carefully but considering my fluency with OS matters, there is nothing much I can add... :D
Jack

Jack

Offline fsaviator

• I am chained to this website!
  • Aviation Enthusiast
    • Boeing 737 Next Generation Simulator
  • First Name: Warren
  • Home Location: Riverview, Florida
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »
Same here.  I love the idea of a windows compatible alternative (to windows 10).  I don't see any point in my future of jumping to a new operating system if I can't maintain the tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and software I have though.

Please keep us informed as this develops and I'll be more than happy to load up software on any number of old systems I have laying around to test things out.

Warren "MTN385"
Florida

http://www.B737NG-SIM.com and https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator on facebook
FSX, Prosim737 Suite, FDS DSTD 2.0 MIP, RevSim Proline TQ, ACE Dual-linked Yokes, Intel 3.5GHz i7-3770K, MSI Z77A-G45, 16GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400, Galaxy GTX670 GC 4GB, OCZ 60GB Vertex 3

Offline Joe Lavery

• I spend way too much on this forum!
  • 737 Builder
  • First Name: Joseph
  • Home Location: Newport, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »
I have the same thought as fsaviator, at least 5 aging PCs lying around.

As a footnote I only run on windows 7 with all the updates turned off and have done for the past.... errr who knows.  :angel:
Anyway I have no issues and everything works fine, it's only when I mess about with it that things stop working.  8)

:2cw:
'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!'

www.pcpilot.net

Offline FredK

• I may as well be Staff!
  • 737NG Cockpit Builder
  • First Name: Fred Kurasiewicz
  • Home Location: Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
This topic is pertinent but probably best addressed on the P3D or XPlane forums.  Would be interesting to see what the responses there would be.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.3, Sim-Avionics, WideView multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Offline n4208t

• Forum GURU
  • Aviation Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:52:20 AM »
Appreciate the replies and I will post more if/when anything does change.  I do think these will be more developed over time.  I look at those other forums but am not active in them which is why I posted here.  I am really disappointed in the direction Microsoft has gone and is going.  I have had a long history with them with being part of their insider program for about 14 years, beta testing two of their OS (including Windows ME which had to be the worst OS MS ever put out.  If I got paid for every blue screen of death during that build period I could have retired), and being the chair of their healthcare users group in the past.  I also worked as a consultant with a predictive analytics spin-off of theirs. 

They were much more attuned to users concerns back then and trying not to screw up corporate installs with updates.   Now, like Google, Apple, Amazon and others they are more concerned with mining everyone's data and them maintaining control over the software, rather than the other way around.

Windows 7 is a great OS as is 8.1 and it is fine for a dedicated stable system but I am concerned about the long term compatibility with future enhancements and add-ons with no ongoing support.  Hence, using a stable open source OS maintained by a community could be a good thing.  LINUX is a great OS and Linux Mint 19 looks and feels like Windows.  If I were running only X-Plane I would seriously consider using it and I may still do so as a boot option with a separate OS and a dedicated drive for X-Plane.  If nothing else, just to try it out.  Like I said.  I like this stuff.   Thanks for the response and the support you guys have given me on and through this site.

FlightSimExpo 2019

FsExpo

COUNTDOWN TO WF2019

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent Posts

Looking for 737NG FDS Glareshield and wings
by Ed
[Today at 12:35:19 PM]
something different
by kurt-olsson
[Today at 07:09:10 AM]
FOR SALE: FDS Shell & Liners New for Sale
by p1080
[Today at 12:35:58 AM]
OEM 737-400 MIP frame and complete rudder pedal covers for sale
by navymustang
[March 24, 2019, 09:34:48 PM]
Wanted: 737 CDU
by Philip
[March 24, 2019, 07:17:58 PM]
Join me on Vatsim Tonight
by Trevor Hale
[March 24, 2019, 05:24:35 PM]
Assortment of Phidgets Cards for Sale
by kenrosefire
[March 24, 2019, 01:07:08 AM]
SLAVX Model 4 Panel For Sale
by kenrosefire
[March 24, 2019, 12:50:30 AM]
Complete 737-800 cockpit - moving sale
by Trevor Hale
[March 23, 2019, 11:10:21 AM]
Screen coming together
by jackpilot
[March 23, 2019, 10:11:50 AM]
Flight Scoring Platforms....
by bernard S
[March 22, 2019, 05:55:18 PM]
SALE! Airbus A320 trainer, located near Gatwick UK
by nic
[March 21, 2019, 09:35:58 PM]
Help with wiring up FDS map light
by Skysurfer170
[March 21, 2019, 02:36:03 PM]
Boeing 737-800 Next Generation Simulator
by blueskydriver
[March 21, 2019, 07:42:41 AM]
Great US switch supplier
by Bob Reed
[March 20, 2019, 09:21:11 PM]
Great video on a Caravelle project
by Lomaric
[March 20, 2019, 06:10:00 PM]
Holy Grail ?
by bernard S
[March 20, 2019, 06:05:06 PM]
737 MAX
by FredK
[March 19, 2019, 11:07:27 PM]
Sim Speaker System in a small package...
by sagrada737
[March 19, 2019, 01:32:30 PM]
Prosim and RSP TQ interfacing
by jfuenmayor
[March 18, 2019, 02:04:20 PM]
OEM 737 classic liners for sale RESERVED
by Gallie
[March 18, 2019, 09:54:39 AM]
B737-200 throttle quadrant for sale
by Gallie
[March 18, 2019, 08:56:25 AM]
What have you done for your simulator today?
by 757Simulator
[March 18, 2019, 04:20:49 AM]
JetMax TQ for Sale...
by sagrada737
[March 16, 2019, 02:57:19 PM]
Revolution Simproducts V2.0 Plug & Play Throttle help
by jfuenmayor
[March 14, 2019, 10:13:05 PM]
Attention All Members and Guests
by Trevor Hale
[March 13, 2019, 06:25:07 PM]
Creality CR-10S 3d printer.