Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 06:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
563 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My new Projector testing and thoughts...

Started by XOrionFE, August 28, 2010, 05:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Quote from: saabpilot on September 01, 2010, 05:04:30 AM
Hi Scott,
The handles are as of now only connected with 30 deg rotaries so not 100% accurate, we will enhance them later to "liftable" handles with a turn stop as per the real ones.
Bjorn
Sorry Scott, far from projectors, just following the flow :laugh:
If this can help Bjorn....works really great
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=63.msg221#msg221

Jack

XOrionFE

Joe Lavery

Hi Jack,

Very nice idea with the Fire handles, mine (like so many others) are just dummys. The idea is simle yet very effective.
One question if you will, how are the handles fixed to the top acrylic and are they hollow, (for the LED wiring)?
Oops that's two questions,  ;) have I exceeded my limit Jack?   :)

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jackpilot

Handles are made of several layers of rectangles of acrylic smoothed out and painted red on the sides.
The bottom layer hold the threaded hollow rod (axis) with a washer and bolt. the intermediary layers shaped as a rectangle leave room for flat super bright LEDs and the top layer is engraved 1/ 2/ APU.

You can see the business end of the rods with the wire coming out on pic 2 and 3

Jack

Joe Lavery

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

XOrionFE

I've been a little quiet but busy.  Here are some pics from my visual build out.   Start with the all important diagram and work from that.    I am not done yet as I still have to permanently mount the projectors to the ceiling and I also need to setup my views properly within FSX.   These pictures are with no undocked views...straight TripleHead2Go projection at this point with Nthusiam Pro (wonderful software!).

Enjoy...
Scott

dharrison

Wow Scott,

This looks amazing. I will try to get over as soon as I can. Possibly next week. Really some great work here. Sorry I haven't been around much, new job has me all over the place.

I will give you a call.

Don

Bob Reed

jskibo

Less than 4 years to retirement......

jackpilot

Quote from: XOrionFE on September 06, 2010, 03:23:01 AM
  These pictures are with no undocked views...straight TripleHead2Go projection at this point with Nthusiam Pro (wonderful software!).

Is this a fully zoomed out one forward  pic spread on three proj  by TH2GO + Nthusim...right?
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

Correct Jack,

This is not the 3 undocked views like Ivar's.  This is just 1 plain vanilla foward view.   I also have setup with 3 views like Ivar's and that is fine except with the default 737 you get VC cockpit window frames on the left and right views when looking past a certain point and I havent figured out how to remove them.

If anyone knows I would be much obliged!

Scott

jackpilot

For FS9 there is somewhere a line which says
see self=1
turn it to =0
cant remember where it is. will look
JP
Found old post saying:
The virtual cockpit is part of the .MDL, which is the 3D model for the aircraft you are flying. Unless you talk to the person/company that made the aircraft and has them remove it, or edit the .MDL with a hex editor.

TBC

Jack

XOrionFE

This is FSX.    I will post new pictures once I take care of the issue....stay tuned.

Sean

Scott,

Those visuals are absolutely brilliant. I can't believe you're slightly disappointed with them!

Great work.

Sean

XOrionFE

They are growing on me for sure.  The trick is not looking at an LCD display at same time.  Actually i flew a lot last night and didnt even notice things I was the other day.  When you are banking around and feeling queezy you tend not to notice the small details any more :-)

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on September 06, 2010, 10:17:42 AM
Correct Jack,

This is not the 3 undocked views like Ivar's.  This is just 1 plain vanilla foward view.   I also have setup with 3 views like Ivar's and that is fine except with the default 737 you get VC cockpit window frames on the left and right views when looking past a certain point and I havent figured out how to remove them.

If anyone knows I would be much obliged!

Scott

Just erdit your model.cfg file for whatever aircraft you use and do the following:

[models]
normal=B737_800
//interior=B737_800_interior
//Line above remed out to remove the interior cockpit view when looking to the sides

Hope this helps & fantastic progress with your visuals. Don't understand why you were slightly 'unhappy' a little whiel ago :)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

XOrionFE

Jack and Maurice,

that did it!   Thank you.

Now I can move on to more tweaking and some more pictures will eventually follow.

Scott

ETomlin

Scott

You have just made progress by leaps and bounds. Very nice! So glad to see it coming along so quickly and looking forward to getting there myself one day.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

XOrionFE

Anytime Eric, in fact, if anyone is ever in Chicago area give me a shout and I will be sure to accomodate.

Here are some more pics after I setup multiple views at 65 degrees each in FSX.  Keep in mind I have not done any serious alignment at this point with Nthusim so still off a little between projectors and have to dial it in more ....lots of adjustments.   The main thing is that it is taking shape and view out sides is what it should be now.

Here in the first pic you can see the window frame issue I was having due to VC in FSX 737 side views and in the second pic they are gone (thanks to help of Jack and Maurice).

And finally, I was up late last night mounting the projectors to the ceiling and when doing so I realized I had enough room to pull them back a few inches more and spread out to 70 degrees so now I have them setup for 210 degrees of projection rather than 195 which means I am now covering my full screen and will beyond the two immediate side windows.    (haha - I will never be done tweaking!).

Scott

ETomlin

Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jackpilot

Jack

choffmann

Scott, Ohh myyyy God!!!!
This looks absolutely perfect!!!
I found out that the Mitsubishi projectors  you use are much cheaper than the Benq MP782 ST over here in Germany.
Please keep us posted with your projection details, they are so remarkable.
Thanks also for the little sketch of the projector arrangement, it is really helpful.
Chris

XOrionFE

Thank you Chris.   Glad the drawing could help out.   Of course it is easy to modify to anyones size once you see what is there.  You also need to use the projector calculators to get the throw distance needed for your given width required which is derived from the diagram also.    Also should consider a sidview diagram to make sure there is no interference of shell in the light paths.  For my ceiling height restriction this causes me to have some interference at the far back bottom corner of the screen sides but no big deal for my point of view inside.

Lots of ways this can be done depending on the circumstances of each individuals space.   The paper drawing can get you in the ballpark.

Scott

shaneb

Hey Scott,

Awesome visuals . . great to see your project at this point!  I will be watching and learning while waiting to get to this point . .   :idiot:
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate