Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 07:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
551 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My new Projector testing and thoughts...

Started by XOrionFE, August 28, 2010, 05:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hale

Sure Sure Sure...  Scott.  I leave you alone for 5 weeks, and look what you come up with...  Good golly miss molly.  Incredible.  Keep us posted.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Thanks Trevor

I am glad to see you are alive and kicking.   Good to hear from you.  Hurry back!

Scott

Kennair

Fantastic information Scott.  With those 3 undocked views what sort of frame rates are you getting?  I'm finding it surprisingly quite draining even on an i7 980x.

Cheers,

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

XOrionFE

Here is a little video of my visuals tooling around Hong Kong.

Sorry about the video.  It rt be 16x9 but somehow is stuck in 4x3 mode when I convert to YouTube.

Enjoy
Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyh6XRPz_bY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

warvet

Scott,
Truly outstanding work, you have done a great job. GL with the rest.
Tim
"Want Some,Get Some, Bad Enough Take Some!:D "

ETomlin

That's great Scott. Just posted about this over at the Hangar to share with those guys too.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Boeing Skunk Works

It looks very good Scott. Much better than my WidevieW setup.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Thank you guys.    I cant wait to install the MIP.  Then I will have to do another video :-)

Scott

dharrison

All I can say is I have seen and flown it in person and you cannot describe it in words how much easier it is to fly FS when you have this type of visuals.

It's going to be great when that mip is in!

Don

jetpilot

Scott,
certainly, amazing job.
I have two questions (May be the answer is quite obvious but I do not know it :P): the lines in between projectors is something that always stays there or could be corrected somehow?
the second one: I see everybody works a lot getting theirs screens circular but what about concave screens like the one Art sells (http://www.northernflightsim.com/projectionscreen.shtml). Any experience?
I am in Iowa city, so for sure next time I visit chicago I will try to contact you. Just meeting you is going to be a nice experience.
Roberto

XOrionFE

Thank you Roberto.
Both of these questions are probably best asked and answered on the NThusim forums or maybe Ivar can chime in here.  I am not sure if the line between screens may be removed in some future version but it would be nice.    As for the screen you mentioned, I am sure it could be made to work but best to check with the Nthusim folks.

If anyone is ever coming to Chicago area please by all means give me a shout and we'll see if we can hook up and do some flying.
Scott

matta757

Scott,

Just watched the video and I am STUNNED. Your setup looks absolutely amazing. Do you mind if I ask how much you dropped on this? I realize the projectors are very expensive, but I am also curious to know how much it cost to setup the wrap around. I am certainly wanting to ultimately do this!

Regards,
Matt

P.S.- I will be in Chicago (Elmwood Park) from November 18th to the 20th visiting family and if you were available would love to see this in person. I'll send you a PM.

XOrionFE

Quote from: matta757 on October 21, 2010, 07:04:28 PM
Scott,

Just watched the video and I am STUNNED. Your setup looks absolutely amazing. Do you mind if I ask how much you dropped on this? I realize the projectors are very expensive, but I am also curious to know how much it cost to setup the wrap around. I am certainly wanting to ultimately do this!

Regards,
Matt

P.S.- I will be in Chicago (Elmwood Park) from November 18th to the 20th visiting family and if you were available would love to see this in person. I'll send you a PM.

Thank you Matt

The wrap around as far as the screens are concerned was maybe $100 in lumber and paint.   I probably used about 4 2x6's, 8 2x4's, a couple sheets of 1/2" plywood, and 3 sheets of the thin wall board (prepainted white on one side).   Then I bought a gallon of Kilz primer and another gallon of Behr Flat White primer that was mixed using Behr Silver Screen paint color.   So  all and all about $150.00.   Just a lot of labor really.

Projectors, TripleHead2Go, and Nthusim all together figure you will need about $4K in USD.

Let me know what works best for you when you come out to Chicago and you are welcome to come by.   I am about an hour from Elmwood Park in the far western suburb of Sugar Grove.   I would be happy to have you over and you can do some flying.  I should have the Mip in place by then.

Scott

ETomlin

Yeah, I was going to say that you should figure around $1000 for each projector (depending) and then $489 for nthusim and another $300 or so on the TH2Go plus your screen materials.

Scott has made heaps of progress in a short span. Cant wait to get up there and fly it myself one day as Im an old 737 guy.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

fsaviator

Great video Scott!  You've achieved exactly what I was trying to do.  I'll be hitting you up when I get back from downrange on measurements and stuff if you don't mind.  Looking at your other photos, your not using to much more floorspace than I am.  Your projector mounting solution may be exactly what I need.

Thanks for sharing.

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

XOrionFE

Thank you Warren

Sure thing.   Get back safe and sound and happy to help when you do.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate