Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 02:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
571 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 571
Total: 571

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Building fun last night - Pictures

Started by XOrionFE, October 10, 2010, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Don Harrison came over last night bringing the Simparts TQ he has been working diligently on and we had a good time testing the trim wheel motor and testing fitting, etc.   He also was the first to enjoy some flights in the simulator experiencing the new 210 degree visuals for a few flights around San Francisco and Chicago.    I will let Don comment on his experience but I think he really enjoyed the immersion factor.

Here are a couple pictures.  First is Don and the TQ, then Don and I posing in front of the FDS overhead currently on the bench being slowly but surely setup, me alone with the overhead showing off my FDS Openhouse T-Shirt (new avatar) and finally a picture of the TQ placement fun in the cockpit.   Of course we couldnt resist doing pretend takeoffs with the new TQ.

Hope you enjoy,
Scott

Bob Reed

Wow Scott..... Very nice! Things are looking great!

Boeing Skunk Works

Nice shots. I wondered what the inside of that throttle looked like. Are those two long rods going down into the center for the thrust reversers?

I noticed you have a blank panel installed in the center control stand. If you aren't going to install anything there, it looks about the right size for a trackball so you can eliminate the mouse.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Thanks Mike.

The throttle handles a very heavy duty and made of steel.  They extend down below the plate you see where we plan on putting on counterweights to help balance the feel.  There are linkages that come down from the Thrust reversers that attach to bellcracks that you can see just above the middle plate.  They will link from the bell cranks to slide pots mounted to that plate.   

I need to take some more pictures of the TQ for sure and post.     It is a little off scale as far as the handles are concerned but I must say and Don will agree, this kit is built like a tank.   

As for the pedestal, yes, I am thinking track ball or something in that blank area.   I have to look aroud for a mini one that will look nice.   

Emesis

Hey Scott and Don,

Looking good, things are shaping up quite nicely.
Would also love to see a few test flight videos of your new visual system.
That would be cool if you have any.

G'Day,
Rand

XOrionFE

Thank you Rand,

I haven't made a video yet but it is definitely on the to do list.

Scott

Bob Reed

Quote from: XOrionFE on October 10, 2010, 07:39:12 AM
Thank you Rand,

I haven't made a video yet but it is definitely on the to do list.

Scott

Need to finish up that video you did before I will look a that tonight.

dharrison

For anyone on the fence about the wrap around visuals vs. LCD screens. Take it from me, immersion, immersion, immersion.

In FS, before last night I have never been able to feel vertigo. The level of immersion that is created by Scott's visuals is nothing short of amazing. Mind you this is without a pit in place, only the window frames. Do you loose some detail, yes. But that said, you don't really notice even now and you won't notice it at all when you are in on the instruments, flipping checklists and working instrument flows.

Scott has done an amazing job and I am glad I can be a little part of it.

As for the Simparts TQ, I would say that by the time all is said and one it will weight 25lbs or more. This thing is a tank. It does take some enginuity and mechanical knowhow to consturct as there is a signifigant part of it that is left to the imagination. The feeling of the steel handles really sets it off as you thow it agianst the stops.

Great work Scott!

Don

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate