Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 07:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
571 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 571
Total: 571

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Anyone want to go in on an order?

Started by matta757, October 11, 2010, 06:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey guys,

So about a month ago I decided to order some ball bearing plungers, to use for various things like adding the "click" effect to some rotary encoders. The long and short, the damn things still haven't arrived. So I called Fastenal, the company I placed the order with, and found out that they have a location about a block away from my house. So I called them and asked if they stocked the part I need. Well, they don't but they can order it from the supplier in Massachusetts. But the supplier requires them to buy a minimum of 15 plungers. I really only need probably about 7 of them.

So would anyone be interested in going in on an order for these plungers? Here is a link to the part:
https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0326095

The more ordered, the cheaper the price. For the 15 plungers he told me he must order, the total price was $56, coming out to about $3.75 per piece. The nice thing about ordering with this store is that we will get them freight-free. The online order I placed (and have yet to receive) cost me $6 on shipping! That seems outrageous to me.

So if anyone is interested, speak up ASAP so I can place an order. If we want more than 15 plungers, the price will go down per piece. I'll check back later this evening!

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

I don't need any, but I learned the hard way about ordering from Fastenal. Don't, if you can help it.

I needed some very specific screws for my MIP and the local Fastenal store told me they could have them in three days. It was closer to three weeks!

The company that my sister works for (VideoJet) decided to try out Fastenal. They went back to McMaster-Carr within a month because Fastenal couldn't deliver. They promise the world but end up quite short of that goal.

As much of a bad taste as it leaves in Maurice's mouth, McMaster-Carr is still the fastest and most well-stocked hardware supplier, probably in the whole US. Some things they may be more expensive on, but when they're the only ones who carry it, what do you have to compare them to?

Anyway, I've been dealing with McMaster-Carr for years and they've never disappointed.

Of course, I don't try and export gas springs to Canada. If they thought I did that, they might not ship to me anymore either. That whole chapter of their catalog has been censored out of their export catalogs. You can probably still look at it covertly on the internet if you're on a proxie server with a .com domain, but they're watching the Canadians.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

matta757

Thanks for the insight...

Do you know if McMaster-Carr carries these types of ball-bearing plungers?

Boeing Skunk Works

No, but my catalog is on the bench. Let me have a look.

Boeing Skunk Works

Yes, they have six pages of ball plungers, ball catches, and ball plunger mounts.

jackpilot

Never had any problem with Fastenal.
And... they are not paranoid.  :P

Jack

Maurice

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on October 11, 2010, 07:11:08 AM
That whole chapter of their catalog has been censored out of their export catalogs. You can probably still look at it covertly on the internet if you're on a proxie server with a .com domain, but they're watching the Canadians.

Did they actually do that or are you just kidding? If they did do it, what is it about gas springs that would possibly warrant such an action?

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Boeing Skunk Works

I'm just yankin' your chain Maurice.   ;D

shaneb

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Maurice

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on October 11, 2010, 03:01:41 PM
I'm just yankin' your chain Maurice.   ;D

Why do I suddenly feel like a fish? Could it be because of that big hook protruding from my cheek?   ;D

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

matta757

Alright guys,

So I totally sympathize with the ridiculousness of Maurice's situation... however, they have some amazing stuff that I have really been looking for. So I am sorry to say that I am going to have to commit mutiny and purchase from McMaster-Carr. After waiting over a month with no word at all from Fastenal, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere...

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

Yes, they have quite a bit of hardware that's difficult to find anywhere else. Plenty of raw materials for any sort of sim project you can imagine and quite a few you can't imagine.

I always say about them, if they don't have it you probably don't need it.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate