Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 04:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
538 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 538
Total: 538

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Know of a good casting plastic?

Started by matta757, October 28, 2010, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hi guys,

I am looking for a really good quality casting plastic/resin for various cockpit parts. I tried Castin' Crafts epoxy resin but I find that it just isn't hard enough and does not sand well for finishing touches. Anyone know of a casting product that produces a nice, hard result?

Regards,
Matt

Mike.Powell

Quote from: matta757 on October 28, 2010, 08:27:50 AM
Hi guys,

I am looking for a really good quality casting plastic/resin for various cockpit parts. I tried Castin' Crafts epoxy resin but I find that it just isn't hard enough and does not sand well for finishing touches. Anyone know of a casting product that produces a nice, hard result?

Regards,
Matt

No personal experience with this product, but it looks good...
http://bare-metal.com/Pathway%20Polymers-Por-A-Kast-Polyurethane-Resin-Casting.html

dharrison

Smooth-on. That is what I use to cast modeling parts. A pressure pot is good but not 100% necessary. If you are giong to make them commercially then you need the pot. Smooth on has the Resin and the urethane rubber. I would be happy to talk to you about casting if you are interested.

The smooth-on website has alot of good info too. When I get my modeling stuff out of the garage I will tell you what rubber and resin I have.

www.smooth-on.com

Buy or comendeer your kids legos as it makes great mold boxes!

Don

matta757

hey guys,

i have used TAP plastics new "platinum silicon" to create my molds... they are excellent, but like i said, i just need a better plastic resin that is harder!

matt

dharrison

Resin works great, you need a polyurethane resin. Check smooth-on. Their resin is quite good and they have different types of hardnesses. Smooth-cast 300 or 305 is good. Depends on how much time you want to work with it. I usally use resin with a 30 minute demold time.

The only problem with polyurethane resin is that it is toxic. If you are sanding and filing you need to wear a resparator as it causes lung cancer.

Don

Aerosim Solutions

I am having good results with the Polyurethane resins from www.aldax.com.au

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate