Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 05:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
545 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 545
Total: 545

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Question:Types of switches - Electrical Ratings?

Started by usafgadget, November 15, 2010, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usafgadget

I'm in the R&D stage of my build.  Doing some proof of concepts before I go all in.

My question is related to selecting the proper switches.

This weekend I purchased (along with several others) a toggle switch (SPST) with a safety cover.  The switch tip also has an LED in it.  The package says it's rated 20A at 12VDC.  It has three prongs (Power, ACC, and Ground)  I wired the power and ground into my BU0836X.  When the switch is in the guarded OFF position (covered) the joystick calibration display shows the appropriate button as being pressed (?).  Moments later it's state will change to not showing it's been pressed.  This can go back and forth with no intervention from me.   When I wired two of these switches and gave it it's own connections on the board, throwing one switch can (and often does) influence the other.  As far as the LED is concerned, it is lit in the ON position (safety cover up) and off when the switch is in the OFF position (cover down).

The switch solder connections are solid and do not touch.  The wires into the controller are solid.  Could this have something to do with the switch ratings as other toggles are not behaving the same (they are 5v but I'm not sure of the Amp rating).

I not very smart when it comes to electricity and hoping someone can set me straight. 

Is this too powerful of a switch?

What is the ACC prong for?

What else could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
You can accelerate out of any problem.

usafgadget

Well I haven't found anything new about the types of switches to use  from an electrical rating standpoint but I was able to find information about wiring my three pronged toggles.

Turns out that I run the:

Ground terminal to Ground input on the board - Nothing new there.
AND the ACC terminal to the power input on the board.  The power prong is for the switch tip LED, which is not wired because I can't figure that part out yet. Not that I need that LED, at least not now.  I simply trying to learn the ins and outs of wiring your own switches.

If anyone can still add to my original questions I appreciate it.

Chris
You can accelerate out of any problem.

jackpilot

Seems to me it has more to do with the card than the switch itself.
A switch is a switch . It is open or closed, whether it is a rotary, a push switch or a toggle.
The interfacing deals with the card and the software which tell the logic to do one thing when the circuit is closed or when it opens, or both.
Whatever the switch, and its rating.
Maybe someone could explain it better...
Just trying...anyway do not worry it is not rocket science.
Cheers
Jack

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate