Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
441 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 441
Total: 442

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Starting 737 build

Started by XOrionFE, September 30, 2009, 05:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Hey all,

I finally gave up on the Lear as I had no passion for it and decided it was time to dive into the 737.   I had run the demo of Sim-Avionics suite and loved it.   It actually was the first time I flew the 737 in FSX and I loved it!    I love the fidelity of the avionics and since there is such a huge amount of data as well as parts I decided this is the route I need to go.   I like that fact that I can make my own panels on my cnc but if there is something that seems too hard or I dont want to build I can likely find it for purchase. 

I plan on building the MIP and pedestals myself as I have a full woodshop and that should be no issue.  I already have OC interface boards as well as some DA, Hagstrom, and Bodner boards so plenty to use in the sim.   

For initial parts I HAD to have in order to feel like I could fly while I build I bought the CP Flight "EL" series MCP and 2 EFIS units which I should have this week.    I also plan on purchasing the ACE Yoke/Column for the pilot side as soon as I can get them to send me an invoice via paypal.   

The other very important part to me is the CDU which I am still debating on whether to go with a non-backlit OC, an FDS, or the Engravity.     If anyone has one of these and has some advise or opinions I welcome them.

Anyway, wish me luck on this huge endeavor and journey.    I will show pics as I go and hopefully can live up to the level of detail of some of my inspirations among you.

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Good luck from me Scott.

Have you started any construction at all yet?
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Not on the 737.  I built a ton of the Lear but then stopped.

On the 737 I am reviewing the autocad drawings from "mterm" that I found on the other site.   It seems to have everything I need.    I was debating on buying a simulatory mip set but I think I can make it as well.    I have to break down the drawing and start putting together some of the files in my cam software and hopefully start cutting some this weekend.

Trevor Hale

Great Stuff Scott.  We will all be happy to help you wherever we can.  Pull up a chair and lets have a blast.

I can't wait to see this thing as you go.  As for the ACE Yoke..  that's a great choice.  Ali from Ace, is amazing to deal with, and an all around Great guy.

Can't wait to hear more.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ETomlin

Hey Guys

Glad to see Scott made it safe and sound over here to get started straight away on his new build. Scott was a great contributer to Hangar45.net and has built his reputation on tackling SIOC with ferver and gusto. The Hangar crew will miss Scott's real-world aviation insight and computer info but it's best that he move into the aircraft that suits him best. I know that the 737 is an awesome aircraft to build- some of you know that I was a 737 freak before I took on the Learjet and although Im so very glad Im not building a 737 now, I would if I had the money, time, and space :-) AND a 777 too, as that was my first 'love' :-), all of course sitting next to my brand new LJ45 that I will love to show off in the coming months.

Anyhow, thanks for the warm welcome to Scott as he's a very giving guy and Im sure he will contribute a ton here!
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

XOrionFE

Thank you for those kinds words Eric

ivar hestnes

Hey

A 737 is a good choice for a simulator project. It involves so many elements, and it is a great plane to fly. I wish you good luck with your project. You will do absolutely fine I am sure :)

And I think you will have a much better result to make your own MIP than buying the symulatory one. Self made is often much better than some of the available hardware for sale.

Regarding the CDU. It is a item that is used all the time in your sim. And for sure you will miss the backlighting if you dont have it there. So do yourself a favour and spend the extra $$$. I would recommend the FDS CDU which is very PnP with Sim-A software.

:)

XOrionFE

Thank you Ivar

If I can achieve even a quarter of what you have I will be thrilled.   Of course I intend to take it is far as I can though.  Your project is one of my inspirations.

Also think you for the advise and reassurance.

XOrionFE

Well after a lot of .dxf cleanup and cad work (with a great deal of help from my close friend Vince in Italy) I was able to cutout my MIP panels and my right lower backer panel on the cnc last night out of 3mm poly.    I am really happy with the result.   Today I will finish left lower backers and start cutting the DU bezels for the MIP and also start building the MIP framework out of plywood.    I plan on building as much as I can and buying what I can't build or dont want to.  In this way I hope to have a little part of me in my sim rather than all bought.  Thats half the fun after all aint it? :)

Scott

Here are some pics so far...

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks nice! And yes, I rather like the DIY aspect of this hobby rather than the store bought stuff. I've used both though for what I am unable to build.

ak49er

Wow, those panels look great, great work on the CNC. Those are going to look really nice, what material did you use?
FS9, FSUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD
XPlane XUIPC, WideFS, FreeFD

XOrionFE

Thank you,

These are made of 3mm Poly.   I will be making all the front panels out of 6mm Acrylic but I had this poly laying around so decided to use it.  It is stronger than the acylic and often used for outdoor signs.

simsimmer

Hey Scott,

Great looking back panels.  I'm at the beginning stage of building the 737 as well and look forward to building along side you and all the veteran builders here, from whom, I have learned so much in the past year and a half.  Keep up the good work.

Ian

Trevor Hale

Quote from: simsimmer on October 05, 2009, 03:57:09 PM
building along side you and all the veteran builders here, from whom, I have learned so much in the past year and a half.

Trev looks around......  *who the heck could he be referring to* LOL

Ian..  its all good, and I can't wait to see pictures of your project as you move along.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

shaneb

Hey Scott,

Awesome backers!  Really glad you found your true desire (aircraft), thought I would jump over from the Hangar and take a look at your progress.  I can't wait to see what you come up with.  If I ever get the Lear done (are sims ever truly completed?) I would like to tackle the 737 . . for now I'll follow your build and all the others.

Shane
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Thanks Shane for stopping by!

I would be remiss if I didnt ask you to post a picture of your Lear Shell for all to see and admire.   Truly a beauty!   Edit...I just saw that you did!

XOrionFE

Here is what I got done last night.    This is my first "prototype" DU Bezel.   Made this on my cnc in three parts.   I have a little sanding to do on the bezel and have to adjust my gcode a little for the rest of them but I think for a first one this turned out pretty good.    Sometimes it is hard to do all this when I know there are plenty options out there to quickly buy but this sure is fun and like I said, it will have a little of my personal touch in the mip.   Again I must also give credit to my friend Vince in Italy for helping me create toolpaths to cut that bevel properly around the inside.  Vince is a cam wizard.   For those of you that don't know Vince please allow me to introduce you.   See his work on his blog at http://www.learjet45.info

Also thank you to Phil for providing dimensional drawings.

Trevor Hale

NICE JOB!!!  Those look incredible..  I am looking forward to seeing more.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

ivar hestnes

Very nice work there. They look just like real to me :)

jackpilot

Very very nice, while you are at it, cut as many as you can, pretty sure you will find interested builders!

Jack

autocadplease

XOrionFE, What CNC machine do you have? I am cutting some panels for my 787 project but it is slow going with two kids! FYI: I built a Rockcliff CNC machine and am slowly building a Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid (if I can find some 60" lead screws here is Canada!).
Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

XOrionFE

Hi Grant,
I have a unit I bought from a guy on Ebay.  It is called a "Masters CNC" and is pretty basic but works like a charm.  It is a 2'x4'x3" capacity so great for cockpit stuff.    The 737 Mip panels were challenging because my cnc was not big enought so I actually cut everything within range then finish the tops on a scroll saw.   Everything else I need to build I think will fit fine though.

XOrionFE

Ok, while awaiting some parts and trying to order or decide on others I have been busy building.

Here are some updates....

Here is my CNC working hard cutting another DU Bezel..

Here is my current run of DU Bezels..4 down 2 to go.....  (I modified them after the first to have the bottom latch panel look more realistic.

Here you see the progress on my MIP.  Found some good examples out there and some drawings that have helped.  I am pleased with the way it is coming together.  Of course everything is just sitting loosly right now as I fit more pieces.

Here is the superb Open Cockpits Gear Handle.  Nicely detailed and strong feeling.   Great price.   

Well thats all for tonight.  Gotta shut down the shop lights and hit the sack.

Scott

Boeing Skunk Works

Wow, that's really coming along nicely!

Question about Autocad, if you have a technical drawing of a panel, can that be scanned into the computer and imported to Autocad and converted to that file format to operated the CNC?

XOrionFE

I am not sure about Autocad's capability to do this Mike but I believe my Corel Program can do it with its trace function then can export back to dxf file once cleaned up.    Some of the Autocad guys will have to answer for that software.   I know if you scan it in it will likely be a bitmap image and is unusabe directly.    If you have something you want me to try go ahead and scan it and send it to me.  I can see if it can be traced in Corel.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate