Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
445 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

BU3086 Decisions???

Started by mpl330, October 11, 2009, 07:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpl330

Hi All,

So my 1st job this Autumn is to replace the FSBus card for my TQ with a BU3086 card but can't decide whether to get the X version...

The original card is £20 (inc delivery) and gives me 8 analogue inputs and 12 (or 32 in a matrix) button inputs.
The X version is£50 (inc delivery) and gives 16 rotary encoder inputs and 32 button inputs.

So is the X version worth 2.5 times the price of the original and what above that is it giving me that the original isn't? Or am I complete noob and mis-understood and the X version won't do the TQ analogue inputs?

Cheers
Mike

Trevor Hale

Hi Mike.. 

For simplicity, and the time it will save you get the X version.  No ribbon cable or soldering required, and every input has its own terminals.  No Diodes required.

Just my $0.02.

Trev

Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

mpl330

Cheers for your 0.02$ Trev!

Well I never did get my head round how to wire the matrix, the concept is fine but physically doing it is another matter!

Only need 1/2 dozen switch inputs (although you can always use more  ;) ) so was wondering if it really is worth the extra £30... it's a big difference, I can nearly get 3 original cards for the price of 1 X...  ???

Cheers
Mike

Trevor Hale

You are very welcome..  for me it is worth the difference..  But that's just me..  :)
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

Same here, but I needed all of those inputs for the overhead and the encoder inputs too to run the HSI.

I have a few inputs unused right now but they will eventually be used. 
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

mpl330

Ok - you are twisting my arm 8)
So to follow on with the Leo theme... do you reckon I can strip out the existing FSBus stuff and use a couple of cards to do the MCP & Efis?
What's everyone using at the moment for LED outputs and 7 seg displays?

Goodbye FSBus - It's like a new start!!!

Cheers all
Mike

Trevor Hale

I am running PmSystems, So for LED's I am using Phidgets LED64 cards.. &-segs..  I am not using any, all my radios and MCP have them built in..

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi mike......
first the standard card and the X board give you exactly the same functionality. 32 buttons or 16 encoders (not and ) along with 8 axes.   if you are using FSUIPC to calibrate, then you can only use 6.   but that's ok, that's all you need for the TQ.    as trev pointed out all the diodes can be dispensed with if you use the X board.
the standard card is 10 bit resolution, where the X board is 12 bit, which does make it that little bit more accurate.
have a look at leo's website, he has just started selling some 3 pin plugs with leads which make connecting to the standard boards a breeze.
i ripped out the guts from my symulatory TQ and rewired it up using a standard BU0836 a couple of years ago and never looked back  ;D
re: MCP, cant help you with this at present, but i made my own efis units complete with dual encoders using the X boards (and then ran the Tiller Axes inputs to it as well).
good luck and if you need any more help, just ask....
have a great day chaps....   ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

mpl330

Note to self - must check Ian's site when planning changes, there's a good chance he's already tried it  ;D

Ok I now have a plan ;) How does this sound?

1) use my existing BU0386 (original) solely for the TQ i.e. 6 axis (flap/t1/t2/rev1/rev2/speedbrake), AT Disc, TOGA, P Brake, Fuel Valve 1 & 2.

2) get a nice new X card for Cpt EFIS, MCP & Glare inputs and OC output card for LED and OC output card for LED's and think I need an OC master card for that too...

Any views appreciated
Cheers
Mike

ian@737ng.co.uk

hi mike......
part 1, perfect. offset for idle/cutoff 1 is 3590 and for 2 it's 3594. offset for the parking brake is 0BC8.  parameters are 1 for on and 0 for off.     use the offset byte set option in FSUIPC.  seeemple  ;D
part 2, then with the efis inputs, you can also manipulate the offsets or use whatever option you want to input from them using FSUIPC.  if you use single encoders (with push switch), there are enough inputs on one card if you 'tee' the vor/adf switches (and use (on)-off-(on) switches), but if you go with dual encoders for the real deal, then you will need a second card.
but, i'm asking myself why you want to use an X board.   for the efis units, you are only wanting encoder inputs and push buttons.  no benefit spending fifty quid when two 17 quid cards will do the same job.
i got your point about making the matrix, but i would be happy to go thru it with you if it helped.  not as difficult as it seems once you get your head around it  ;D
have a great evening men ... regards ... ian
FS9 - PMDG/Prosim737 - Pokeys - Lots of BU0836X and a BEER FRIDGE :D

mpl330

;D Cheers Ian - expect some questions heading your way once I complete the TQ!!!
Actually expect some questions when I start the TQ!!!

Cheers
Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate