Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
193 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3 24inch monitors or 3 27 inch monitors?

Started by usajet93, September 27, 2011, 08:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usajet93

Hi I am Nathan and I a looking for help with visual monitors. Should I go with 3 24inch monitors or 3 27 inch monitors?

Also do you think about taking screens out of the bezels and making a bezel that won't have the big spaces between monitors?

jackpilot

Hi Nathan

Welcome aboard, and glad you joined the finest crew. :laugh:

I would tend to say that the bigger the better,
Are you on a desktop or full size cockpit.?
If full size Mip I would go for 3  Flat screen TVs. They are now affordable if not cheap.
If you want to start with one only, my own experience is that one huge single front view, zoomed out at 60% is way better for immersion than 3 small screens.
But if you are on desktop 3 big monitors would do a nice job.
Of course the black borders should be as minimized as  possible wether Monitors or TVs
The subject of Projectors vs 3 TV has been debated here (search)
Jack

Jack

Bob Reed

As Jack has stated the brain will very quickly "zone" out the frames. And I also agree the bigger the better. Never enough visual real estate.

saabpilot

Agree with the above comments.
The bigger the better.

I used to have 3 x 20" TFT:s hooked up to a Matrox Triple-Head Digital.
Very crisp and nice picture that covered the whole MIP width.

But, I changed those to one BenQ short throw beamer and have now a HUGE 2.10 meter wide front view.
The beamers do not have that good resolution (1280x800), you do not notice that when flying, but you do notice the giant front view instead.  Likewise pixellation is a non-problem - if you look intensively you can see the pixels, but they do not disturb you.

Never regretted the switch for one second, and also it is a lot "frame rate" friendlier without the Matrox.   ;D

Best,
Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

usajet93

Thank You That awnser my question. It's funny that all I read on the matrox triplehead 2go I never see a framerate loss. That to me is a big problem from the resolution.

So the big question is should I get a 720p or a 1080p projector? A short throw for sure.

Thank You Nathan

Bob Reed

Quote from: usajet93 on September 28, 2011, 06:12:05 AM
Thank You That awnser my question. It's funny that all I read on the matrox triplehead 2go I never see a framerate loss. That to me is a big problem from the resolution.

So the big question is should I get a 720p or a 1080p projector? A short throw for sure.

Thank You Nathan

This is an easy question to answer. 1080p !

usajet93

Okay I am new at this projector thing. What are the key things I need to look for when looking for a projector? Is native resolution key? if I want to get a 1920x1080 short throw projector should that be native or is it okay to be the max widescreen resolution?

Thank Nathan

Bob Reed

Quote from: usajet93 on September 28, 2011, 07:37:03 AM
Okay I am new at this projector thing. What are the key things I need to look for when looking for a projector? Is native resolution key? if I want to get a 1920x1080 short throw projector should that be native or is it okay to be the max widescreen resolution?

Thank Nathan

Native is the important resolution to watch. Anything else is scaled.

usajet93

If I decide to stick with the led monitors for better visuals. Do you think the frame rate using the trippelhead2go with no 2d or virtual cockpit viewed would be good?

Thank You Nathan

jackpilot

Hi Nathan
Do a simple search on "projector"...lots of info.

We would be better off to help if you told us what your present or future setting is.
Full size enclosed cockpit?
Starting as desktop?
Planning?

Visuals are a vital part of the pleasure!
Big money can be wasted if not adapted.
Jack

Jack

usajet93

I am undecided. Planning. It will be a Single 737NG pit or a Full cockpit. All depends on the room I have. I won't know that until I get home in a month. But here is what I am working with now.

Maurice

Quote from: usajet93 on September 28, 2011, 06:12:05 AM

Thank You Nathan

You could use a TripleHead without frame rate loss but only if you have a single front view stretched over 3 monitors and you would end up with about 120 degrees field of view which is really not bad at all. The only time when you get a huge hit on frame rates is when you have 3 undocked windows with 3 different views as opposed to 3 windows with one stretched view. But you would really only go that route if you were after 180+ degrees with 3 short throw projectors.

So, if you are still considering monitors or large screen TVs, TripleHead is the way to go in my opinion.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

usajet93

Thank You Maurice! If I were to go that route I would stretch it to all 3 monitors. This really helps Thank You

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate