Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
479 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Squawk Maintenance

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, October 20, 2009, 09:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

I had another switch failing on me over the last few months. This was a 30 amp push/pull switch I had planned on using temporarily until getting a higher amperage switch. Then I bought the new switch and kept putting off the installation.

I finally changed it today to a 50 amp toggle switch. This runs the overhead, control stand, and instrument panel 5VDC lighting circuit. The toggle is much better looking. While the overhead was down I took time to inspect all of the power circuit wiring and discovered a couple of toasty connections on the 5VDC line. The insulation jackets hadn't melted, but they were discolored due to heat. I replaced the connection from the power supply for this.

Now the 5VDC lighting is about 50% brighter than it was prior to switch replacement and the wiring connector.

Check those switches and wiring!

I also installed the final interior lower light plate that's been sitting on the bench for a year or more. Looks a lot better completed.

While I was up there, I attached the wiring to the Bodnar card for the tiller and ran it over the top of the sim and dropped it down to where it will mount. Labeled the wires and they'll be ready when I get to it.

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Bob Reed

Very nice. Also goes to show that an inspection once in a while is not a bad idea!!

Boeing Skunk Works

Even though the back of my overhead looks like a plate of spagetti now, I'm pretty meticulous with power connections. Especially one that's drawing upwards of 30 amps DC. This connection was at least four years old and I could see how it could have gotten hot given my bad luck with main power switches on this circuit.

I think this may have happened before I changed the last switch. I was running a switch rated at about 10 amps that eventually melted down and this is where I think the connection overheated, but I didn't check it at the time. I have quick disconnect fittings on all the power supply busses in case I ever have to pull one for replacement. I didn't inspect this connection during the previous switch problem I had.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate