Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
460 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 460
Total: 460

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Fourth computer joining the network

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, October 31, 2009, 04:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

I got a second-hand computer the other day from a family member. It's not the greatest, but still faster than my slowest machine rinning the left hand view.

It's a 2005 HP running a 1.8 AMD Sempron and XP Home. It had a 256mb stick of ram installed. I'm surprised it ran at all. They complained it was slower than winter molasses and when I fired it up it had so much crap on it and was so fragmented it would take minutes to respond to the simplest command. Probably loaded with spyware and trojans to boot.

They lost the OS disc so I formated the drive and loaded up XP Pro, but it wouldn't authenticate. I have HP sending me the XP Home OS disc for $15. I can live with XP Home since this is only a WidevieW computer.

Just came from the NewEgg site where I ordered a 2Gb ram kit, a PowerColor 512mb  PCI x16 dual head video card, and a Hans 22" widescreen monitor. $30 bucks off the monitor and came in at $149. If you need a decent 22" monitor at a good price this is the one.

This will run the 90° right view. Now the waiting begins. Hopefully the OS shows up before the parts and monitor do. For roughly $255 (mostly monitor) I have another decent Wideview system.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Bob Reed

Awsome Mike. See you are needing that second seat more and more.....LOL :D

Boeing Skunk Works

Yep. I guess they could sit on the right side if they don't mind flying the chimney.  :idiot:

Boeing Skunk Works

Discs were waiting for me after work a bit ago. It's reformating and re-loading now. Probably will take around 2hrs +.

Hardware will ship Monday so I should be in business by Thursday.

Boeing Skunk Works

I received the 22" widescreen monitor today. Looks great! And NewEgg comes through again with One Day shipping to my door from Memphis. The other stuff doesn't get here until Thursday. (Memory, video card etc.)

You can't beat this 22" for $150 bucks and free shipping. No dead pixels, nice and bright, good menu selection for adjustments, and the base is OK if you don't pound on your desk. Tilt adjustable but no height. Doesn't matter, next payday I'm buying an articulated arm to mout it to the wall so I can swing it over to the sim for the right view and then back to the desk for utility and Cockpit Builder surfing.

It's bigger than I thought it would be. Lots of screen estate. Not quite as HUGE as a 24", but pretty big when you sit 18" away. Lots better than a 19"WS.

This is a great deal if you need a 22" on the cheap. I have a Hanns running my MIP for two years now and another for one of the outside views, and they hold up. It might not be as good as my Samsungs, but they don't cost twice the price either.

Trevor Hale

Fantastic Monitor Mike, and very cheap..  Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing..  :)

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

carlos hermida

Looks great Mike and the best....very cheap !

Sean

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on October 31, 2009, 04:16:42 AM
I can live with XP Home since this is only a WidevieW computer.

Out of interest, what benefits would XP Pro give you over Home?

Boeing Skunk Works

Sean

and in a home cockpit environment, which of those benefits would you need? Is it to do with networking? I only ask as I am running four XP Home machines in my early setup and am wondering if I'm gonna hit a brick wall sometime soon!

Boeing Skunk Works

It's not just the cockpit.

A lot of it is nice just for everyday use. Like automated recovery, having the Admin tools in the menu instead of having to go search for them. (You can make a shortcut, but why should you have to?)

Multi- language support, support for multiple processors, etc. Can't run a dual-core on Home.

Trevor Hale

From an operational standpoint For a simulator computer, if you have home, I don;t see a need to upgrade it.  However, with that being said, if you are looking to buy a copy of XP.  Pro is the only way to go.  Price would be about the same.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

andarlite

If you are buying, make sure you go for the 64 bit version ...... that way you can access more than 3GB of ram.

Regards,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate