Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
165 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

World Flight 737 Procedures thread

Started by MLeavy737, September 17, 2013, 11:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hi all,
  I spoke with Bob earlier this morning and we decided to make a thread dealing specifically with 737 procedures, flows, checklists etc. for the upcoming sim event.  Pretty soon all the pilots involved will be getting checklists, flows and general procedures I had made up. Would also like to say thanks to the builder who typed them up!  Best bet is to look them over and we'll use this page here for discussion.  Probably in a week or so after you all have a chance to review or practice them maybe we can get a Skype session up or whatever as Scott suggested.

for now I would like to keep this thread only for those participating in world flight as I could see this thread getting out of control if not.

thanks

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

MLeavy737

ok here's one thing that I was thinking based on some of the other posts. This is a real birds eye view of what goes on just to get started.

1) walk on airplane,  (do the Safety Inspecton-Flt Deck proc in handout.)
2) establish electrical and air (also in handout)
3) ACARS if you have one so the flight plan and performance will load automatically in box.
    If not just skip this.
4) next is the (Flight Deck Inspection(Rainbow)) in handout.
5) setup for preflight. set brakes, fuel pumps ON, elec HYD pumps ON, wheel well light ON
    go outside and preflight.
6) come in an top to bottom flow.. checking stalls, IRS align, lights, RTO on brake panel,
    check ground prox, check trims etc.
7) one that's all done you setup for your particular flight. load the FMC, set radios, setup MCP,
    perform briefings etc.
8 ) Once done CA calls for the preflight checklist.
9) Once doors are all closed up and ready to push CA calls for before push checklist, first flow
     then FO reads CA answers.
10) during pushback CA calls to start engines. FO hits start switches and CA raises idle cutoff
      switches to start engine.
11) once you release ground crew CA calls for after start checklist. You then perform the
      after start flow then FO reads the checklist and CA answers.
12) Once complete call for taxi. There is no Taxi checklist :)

that's all for now, stay tuned for more :)

Mike L

sagrada737

Hello Mike,

Thank you for starting this Thread.  Since CBWF is coming up soon, this surely can be an informative place for quick feedback and comments on various questions that might be on the minds of the Crew that will be flying in this event.  I suspect that there are a lot of questions that folks my be a bit shy to ask.

Since I'm at the bottom of the experience pole, I'll start off with a question: 

1.  Relative to the flying we will be doing in other countires, could you comment on the issues of QNH, QNE and Transition Levels?  Any FMC programming issues?   I for one am a bit confused as to how this will be dictated by ATC in other countries.

2.  Will it be a requirement for ATC authorization prior to Push-Back and Start-Up at ALL airports in the WF event?  Any other Ground Ops differences or variations from country-to-country?

3.  Will it be necessary to update the IRS on many of these Routes, or does the Sim Server do this automatically?

Best Regards,
Mike

Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Just one comment here.....

I really appreciate you doing this Mike and Mike but if you dont have the time then another suggestion is for each pilot to subscribe to AOA and use what they have done.   They have all the flows well documented, checklists, procedures etc as well as practice flights.    It is an awesome training ground.    We could fill in the blanks as they relate to WF specifics, the specific routes, and Vatsim stuff on this thread and calls.     I dont know if anyone else besides Maurice has looked at AOA but it is awesome stuff and very well organized.

Just trying to save you time if you want....I plan on going through all the AOA stuff myself anyway.

Scott

MLeavy737

In reference to Scotts post..

Its really up to all the pilots flying the sim. I haven't looked at AOA but you guys can go that way being that they have all the training and i could just help with general questions thats fine.  Whatever everyone feels comfortable with. 

Dont expect me to fly using those procedure however :)

Mike L

Bob Reed

Hello Cockpitbuilders World flight Team USA crew. I would like to thank Mike for stepping up and becoming Team USA's official instructor. Sam and I had a conversation and decided it would be best if one person was answering all these questions so we are all on the same page instead of a dozen different answers to each. So we asked Mike and he accepted. Please direct all questions to Mike in this thread or send him a PM, but remember the question you have may be had by many and asking it here will benefit all.  Mike will have the final say in the way things are done as far as the training is concerned. Lets face it, he does this for a living. SO ask away. He may not have all the answers but with some help, he will do his best.

Sam Llorca

MLeavy737

Ill be happy to take a look at the AOA site.  Sounds like alot of what were trying to here is already done there. 

Mike L

Trevor Hale

Mike I can't thank you enough... for everything.  When is it you get your schedule??

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

MLeavy737

Quote from: Trevor Hale on September 17, 2013, 04:44:19 PM
Mike I can't thank you enough... for everything.  When is it you get your schedule??

Trev

Hey Trev,
  Really no problem and i know all you guys are really carrying the burden here with the amount of work and prep going on!

I get my schedule on Oct18th so ill know then if i was able to get the sched i bid for. Ill let you know assp when i have it.

Mike L

MLeavy737

Hey everyone,
  I just took a quick look over at AOA it it really seems pretty impressive.  I noticed its a $79 subscription so thats something all the pilots will have to agree on i suppose.  Let me know what you think

As far as the training and practice is concerned im sure something like AOA instruction is rather good as Scott indicated and would accomplish much more than we all could hope to do over the forums here.

Like i said before i would be here to help fill in some gaps if that the decided path as im sure theres not much difference as to the way i fly it. 

Mike L

Trevor Hale

Hey Mike, I am not going to spend 79 bucks on something when I have an encyclopedia like yourself to get information from for free, and your the real deal.  Sorry But I will stick with you.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Bob Reed

I have to agree with Trevor. With all the money I have spent so far and trying to scrape the money up for another ticket, no way I am spending $79.00 on AOA.....

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

Thanks again Mike L. for making yourself aviable for questions on the upcoming WF event.  The newly released flight schedule looks like things are well balanced, with everyone having a nice shot at flying.

Regarding AOA services...   I agree that there is no end to what we can spend $80 on, but AOA does have a 30 day FREE trial.  So...  It's easy and no-risk to check it out and explore some of its content if you desire.  Just a thought...

Question:  Regarding the list of ICAO airports in the schedule...  I am now in the process of loading in all the Routes that I will be crew on.   I use SimRoutes to create the Route with their respective Waypoints. 

However, when I tried to load my first Route (FLLS -HUEN), the FMC gave an error that FLLS (Lusaka, Zambia) was an invalid ICAO code.  It did take HUEN without errors.   The funny thing is...   Both SimRoutes and FSX recognize FLLS as a valid ICAO code.

In researching other possible codes for Lusaka INTL Airoprt, FSKK comes up and the FMC recognizes it as valid.

I wonder if someone else can check out this ICAO code FLLS to see if it is recognized on their FMC or not.  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Quote from: Trevor Hale on September 18, 2013, 05:26:02 AM
Hey Mike, I am not going to spend 79 bucks on something when I have an encyclopedia like yourself to get information from for free, and your the real deal.  Sorry But I will stick with you.

Trev

I am getting the feeling you guys totally misunderstood my suggestion and frankly I am rather aggravated.    The suggestion was not that the AOA training was somehow better than having Mike do it but rather to try to minimize the load on his plate. 

I will butt out of it if he is willing to take this on.   Was only trying to help minimize his workload.  As it is my plans have changed anyway and will not be there.

If however there is anything I can do to assist let me know otherwise all yours Mike.

Scott

Trevor Hale

Hi Mike, Don;t get too caught up on the schedule yet.  This is only the first round.  3 more people have dropped out, so I need to adjust again.  I tried to keep it as fair as possible, I am just hoping everyone shows up thats on the list.

We still haven't heard from some of them.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

sagrada737

Regarding the ICAO Code for Lusaka, Zambia... 

I have been chasing my tail on this one, but it turns out that the ICAO code listed in the schedule is outdated, tht is...   FLLS has been changed to FLKK.

What I have found is that SimRoutes is not as up-to-date as some other Route Planning software.  I have SimPlates, but it too is not up to date.  I am now using Navigraph, which seems to be current.

I'm sure that if there are any further issues with ICAO codes, it will come from other Crew members as they practice their respective Routes.

Regards,
Mike Sherick

sagrada737

I see that there is not much activity on this thread with regard to commenting on questions that have been posed.  Please don't get the wrong idea...  I am not complaining, but confused as to the original intent of this thread, as I don't see anyone commenting on specifics.

That said, I do have a couple more questions:

1. With respect to SIDs, STARs and Approaches...   Will there be "fixed" SIDs, STARs, and Approaches for each of the scheduled Routes?   or...

2. Will there be Plates for specific SIDs, STARs, and Approaches, or will there be a need for ALL the Plates to handle whatever SID, STAR, or Approach that is dictated by ATC?

As a side note:   Having flown a few of my Routes, and reviewing the Plates, I can see that if the SIDs, STARs and Approaches are not fixed for this event, it could be quite a challenge to assemble the information and setup the FMC on short notice by ATC.

That said, I would assume that we all will file Flight Plans, where we will request SIDs and STARs, with desired Approaches in the comments section.  Or am I mistaken on this?

Lastly, the idea of "casually flying" the Enroute segments of these flights is fine, but there could be a lot of intensity in the Departure and Approach phase of these flights - especially with all the other traffic participating.  So it seems that becoming familiar with each phase of the Route is very important prior to climbing in the cockpit and Blasting Off!  Just some thoughts...

Mike

Trevor Hale

Mike once you see how it works, you will be very surprised at the fluidity.  After a crew has landed we have 1 hour between flights.  the first 10 minutes will be complete simulator reboot, the aircraft will sit back at the gate waiting for connection back to vatsim.  Enough time for a smoke, and a drink, and the old Capt (New FO) will join the New Capt in the cockpit and do a briefing.  about 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure the new crew will program the route into the fmc, and call for clearence. (There will be upwards of 30 other aircraft joining the official worldflight teams) generally you will hear the clearences they are getting in advance of filing your flight plan however, if not, its really easy in the FMC to add the DEP/ARR button in the FMC Select the SID and the runway) Keeping in mind you know where your going and the wind direction from the atis, so your likely going to know what SID you will be on anyway.  But Each Capt coming into the cockpit will have a package of all the charts he may need for the route..  Done for you already.  I hope this clears it up.  But really as they say on Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, "DONT PANIC"  We will be there to help you.

sorry for my spelling its been a long tiring night.
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Trevor Hale

Quote from: XOrionFE on September 18, 2013, 08:54:18 AM
Quote from: Trevor Hale on September 18, 2013, 05:26:02 AM

Trev

I am getting the feeling you guys totally misunderstood my suggestion and frankly I am rather aggravated.    The suggestion was not that the AOA training was somehow better than having Mike do it but rather to try to minimize the load on his plate. 

I will butt out of it if he is willing to take this on.   Was only trying to help minimize his workload.  As it is my plans have changed anyway and will not be there.

If however there is anything I can do to assist let me know otherwise all yours Mike.

Scott

Sorry Dude, I think everyone involved in this is easily aggrivated right now, Sorry its the stress on our end, words can;t describe the involvement in putting this together, in any rate, I didn;t misunderstand your post, I appreciate it, I just don;t want or cant shell out anymore coin, and din;t want Mike to leave based on that one suggestion.

Wish you could still come Scott.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

Wish i could make it also.  Right now all I can think about is walking normal again.  Knee surgery is a bit€#...  The pain sucks.

Anyway, if there is a way to help and support remotely will do....

Scott

MLeavy737

Mike,
  Honestly it sees that most of your questions can be found in the Vatsim instructions or something.  Im not sure exactly. Im mostly here to help with airplane flying or procedures.  Qne,qnh and all may be completely different on vatsim in the way they use it. In real life you put in whatever they give you. Your not going to get an altimeter setting that you cant set. 

Transition level is on the plate.  It says it towards the top on a Jepp chart.

Pushback and engine engine start is different every airport in real life and im sure different everywhere in vatsim.  Youll have to reasearch that. Airlines have a general info page specific for us.  Its called a -7 page.  It lists all misc info that we should know including the pushback procedure.  Without that the usual flow is atis, clearance, rapm, ground, tower.. If no ramp tower listed csll ground for push.

The IRS is realigned every leg therefore you never ever touch it in flight.

The other questions about the database you answered yourself :)

Now the whole SID/STAR question is not as hard as your making it seem. You already know the route your flight and then sids/start so u have that.  When you call clearance and they readback a clearance if its different you change it.  Thats why i said get comfortable manipulating routes, legs, sids, and stars in the FMC. Most importantly put a route in then make sure you can say put in a different sid and transition.  Happens all the time.  You really need to double check the order of fixes in the box to the chart.  Compare them.   In my eyes being able to do this is prob the most important thing to learn right now. 

Calm down a little.  The more you overthink this stuff the harder it will be.  Believe me.

You all also have to realize your not going to learn everything you need to know in this forum post, ie. i cant teach the last 7 years in this airplane plus all the basics in 1 month or so.  Best thing is to relax, learn what u can to get by and have fun! Like Trev said. Most of you guys already know more than you think.  Learn the fmc, learn the checklists and flows and you will be fine!

One last thing.  Noone here is getting paid for their time so sometimes it may take a day or so if im flying 8 hrs a day.  Know what im sayin? :)

Mike L

sagrada737

Hello Mike,

Thanks for answering the questions I posted.  Sorry for posting so many pesky questions... 

I'll back off and take your advice to chill out.  I'll simply try to do the best I can when I'm down at CBWF.

Regarding your last comment.  It is a great thing you are doing to help out with CBWF on such technical matter relating to the 737-800.   Although it may not be commented on much in the forum, please know that EVERYONE appreciates all the effort and wisdom that you guys are applying to making CBWF a reality and a success.  Kudos to you for going the extra mile!

Mike

Sam Llorca

One thing to remember guys is that...

We are all on the same team, support and understanding is very important not all of us are seating at home waiting for a question to pop up, like Mike L said some of us work 8to 10 hours a day no need for over elaborated questions or super technical answers, in this case if you practice how to set the FMC you are a winner, is all there and the airplane will follow, in my case I have a problem keeping auto throttle settle in flight, I'm still looking for the answer because I know is something simple that I haven't found out yet, if WFT gets here and I'm still having the same problem, someone on this team will know how to fix it, No big deal!!
This is an event to share, learn, have fun, make friends, have a good time together, not to get aggravated, upset, or loose a friend over it.

Hope everybody can take a step back, take a deep breath, relax, and make this event a wonderful one, please think about it.

Thank you all for participating, enjoy the rest of the day and have a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Sam

FredK

Hi All -

Time is getting closer and I'm getting excited about participating in the event!

A point of clarification about availability of charts......

My understanding is (please correct if I am wrong) that a complete set of charts will be provided for each flight segment......Please confirm to be sure.

I have been practicing flying my assigned routes and have printed out many of the associated charts but not all.  I am using Navigraph for the charts and Vroute for flight planning.  I do not have access to either via an Ipad though, but printing out hard copy of a complete set of charts is not an issue if necessary.......I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if all this is already taken care of.

I have prepared and will have printed copies of Vroute flight cards for each of my routes including fuel requirements and including the detail of waypoints along jet routes (Sim-A does not have provision for manual "via" entry of jet routes in the CDU).  But again, is this redundant to what will be provided?  I can easily prepare such for other routes if anyone is interested.   

Just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks,
Freds

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate