Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
106 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Blueskydriver's New Hanger

Started by blueskydriver, August 21, 2015, 09:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hale

John,

Hurry up and get your internet connection going out there and you can freeze and do CB all at the same time :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Hi Trevor,

Got it hooked up and freezing for the big CB! Oh Yeah! However, will not be cold much longer, as the heat and electric service will be done this coming Wednesday.

Here are a few pics from last night attached; they're fuzzy because of me breathing on the iPad lens...couldn't help it, the 9F degrees doesn't bode well either.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

More Progress:

We had the electrcian here yesterday and he got the 100 amp main circuit breaker panel installed, along with wiring all the ceiling lights from the La Crosse Airport that I got from www.publicsurplus.com

Additionally, he ran wiring for the in-floor heating unit, the garage door opener, some GFCI outlets, an exterior building light and some three-way light switches. That only leaves for Karen and I too run the other 20 or so circuits and have him come back to check them (saves money this way).

Finally broke down and purchased a kerosene (and other fuel types) torepedo heater that puts out 210k btu of heat, and is rated to heat 3000 sq feet. Talk about a huge difference doing stuff in the shed with some heat over freezing our butts off! Don't know why we didn't buy one sooner? I guess it's that die hard Wisconsin thing, saying "ahhh it ain't even cold yet!" Yeah right, couldn't imagine how much further we'd be if we bought this heater much sooner...

By the way, as a word of advice, you will need this type if heater to get the concrete warmed up enough so it will not crack from trying too heat the floor to fast. In other words, the concrete can crack from temperature shock if you add heat to a really cold floor to fast, so we had too buy the heater anyway; only wish we got it sooner...silly me!

Lastly, I know some of you might have a shed aka hangar already, but I hope that I am encouraging the guys that don't or the guys who don't have simulators yet. If you ever thought about getting or building a simulator, as well as a place too put it, let me say it's not easy and will take time. HOWEVER (shouting that), if Karen and I can do it, anyone else can. Some guys know this about me and some don't, I am bound to a wheelchair and I am getting it done through my friends, family (Karen), and even total strangers. It's all matter of saying "if there is a will, there is a way". So, never say never, nor let anyone else stop you; including, even those really close too you...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

Well done John  for the spirit and tenacity to accomplish such a project.

Unfortunately for us in the UK, unless we live in some remote location we are limited by draconian planning laws that stop us building anything bigger than a dog kennel. Well not literally...

My job before i retired was drawing plans for submission to the authorities, mainly for conversions or extensions but the regulations are most obstructive. Coupled with the space issue for a hanger like yours, which incidentally is about twice the size of my house.  8)

However it's nice to see what others are building, I'll continue to follow your progress with interest.

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

blueskydriver

Hi Joe,

It is amazing how some places are so much different from each other. The UK would surely be more restrictive due to it's size, where the US is much bigger. However, as much as that seems logical, if I lived just a few miles closer too town, it would be a whole lot different and probably worse then it is for you. For some reason town folk don't like change as they have to keep up their image. The rules are difficult to say the least; unless, you know someone on the planning commission, expect to go through a lot of red tape.

By the way, I said this to a few of the other builders and maybe even you already, but my next door neighbor is selling their house with 40 acres still! I just wish another cockpit builder would buy it and move in...oh the agony of being in this area with no one else who is into this hobby...uh, wait! I got Karen, so it's not all bad, but guys are guys when they're together, and that's what I sometimes lack from not having other guys like myself around.

Best Regards,

John

Trevor Hale

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 21, 2016, 02:24:37 PM
...oh the agony of being in this area with no one else who is into this hobby...

Try Being 5.5 hours away from anyone who even has any idea about this hobby LOL
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

blueskydriver

Hey Trevor, I admit I thought I had it bad, but Scott is only 4 hours from me, now if I would just visit him more! He doesn't know it yet, but I have too see his -200, so I am planning another trip to his place and this time when he is not sick, nor me being so worried of catching it. Although, Karen just got over a 3 week flu and I avoided her like the black plaque, so my worrsome attitude has not changed none..lol!

How close are you too me? Do you want too visit my place this year?

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Here is another update of the hangar project. Karen and I have been moving slowly forward with the bookshelf style 2x4 and 2x6 blocking for the insulation and interior metal sheeting to be attached to. Yesterday, we finished 7 bays, so we only have a few left before we can put up the insulation on the walls; although, we have at least 12 electrical circuits to run first that average 60'-80' each.

Even though we had the electrcian install the primary sub-panel from our main house circuit panel and 6 circuits, we opted too do the remaining runs ourselves saving labor man-hours. Speaking of which, I suggest to everyone that if you undertake any kind of project at all, always ask about doing some of the work yourself. Doesn't matter if it's electrical, roofing, cement, moving materials, running errands or even digging dirt, if you can save the person you hired some time they might take you up on it. Why? Well, if a company has many different customers, sometimes they cannot always stay on time and get all the simple labor work done. So, rather then have all their customers waiting for them all the time, they'd be willing to forgo some man-hour charges on certain jobs in order too stay ahead; as one contractor told me "I rather give up a few labor hours here and there over losing my reputation of being on-time".

Anyway, here are some pics from my iPad camera from last night. I included a pic of the lighting units I got from the La Crosse Airport...

John

XOrionFE

Wow,

I must say that with all the 2x4's you have in there I wonder if convential frame construction may have been better than the steel building approach?

In any event, you will have one nice sized mancave when done...or maybe I should re-phrase that as Karen may be reading.  :-[

Sam Llorca

blueskydriver

Hi Scott and Sam,

Thanks Sam, so you're going too visit me when it's all done right? And, yes you can come when we do not have snow; although, you should come when we do, that way you, the wife and kids can say you finally saw some. Then, you'll go back too Florida saying how glad you are that you do not live up here...lol.

Yeah Scott, you're right about all the 2x4's and 2x6's. In retrospect, we should've went conventional because we'd be done already. There is way more measuring and cutting in this style of a building, plus we still have the interior panels too go with a GA-ZILLION screws.

Finally, on a related note, we purchased a new cordless/airless DeWalt Framing Nail Gun. OMG! Talk about efficient, no more dragging the air hose around, fighting with it, nor waiting for the air compressor too catch up at times. Basically, you charge, load nails and go...up to 3 1/2" nails.

Here is anattached pic:

Best Regards,

John

Ps Scott don't worry if you call it ManCave, Karen will not feel bad at all, she prefers it too be called that over some girly name. You know her, she is blunt and logical just like us guys, thank goodness!

XOrionFE

Sounds like a road trip to your place in the spring is in order John.   Would love to pay a visit when your done!

Scott

Sam Llorca

Thank you John, It would be a great summer trip, I'll keep you in mind.
Cheers,!

blueskydriver

Scott and Sam,

That sounds great and who knows, maybe we could set it up for you both too come at the same time. Then, we could have on own mini-World Flight or a mini-Wisconsin Flight... PM me which months would be best for the both of you and I'll do some research on getting the best deals on flights, hotels and etc.

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

Here are some more pics of the hangar. The interior panels on the wall are done and they look really awesome, I am very happy with them; especially, the framing around the circuit breaker locations. The guys I got too do it are really good and efficent, they will be doing the ceiling on March 21st. We have to wait until then to have two scissor lift units here at the same time (rental units).

As for the heating, we're waiting until May before getting it done...yeah, I know, nothing like wanting it the most, but getting it last! The whole issue is taking a chance of cracking the concrete, if it's too cold for hot water tubing to be turned on. In other words, it would be a flash heat that would over expand cold water molecules still left in the concrete. Since it was poured in late October, it has not had enough warm weather to cure that moisture out yet.

Anyway, the good news, it's getting warmer here in Wisconsin! Nothing like 68 degrees right at this very moment...normally, we're still getting snow up until Easter or later. Thank you Global Warming...I mean El'Nino or whatever is causing it too be so warm this early.

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

So much for the heat wave! Back down to 20-30's and we had snow a couple times since my last update. Anyway, at least the insulation is done except for 7 spots where we have yet too plug in the security cameras and the center section for an attic access panel. Those areas should be done tomorrow and the ceiling panels will be installed this coming Wednesday.

We're basically awaiting for two scissor lifts too be available at the same time, and once we get those here it should be by Friday it'll be finished. Okay, in the sense of the building being done, next comes the moving in phase, starting with the simulator in storage, and then we'll start dismantling the B737 sim that's in the garage now. Likely, it'll be winter again before we have a sim back up and running...

Why? Well RC airplane season is about to start soon and I'll probably want too be at the airport on the nice and mild wind days. Then again, I might take the year off from RC and live in the hangar all summer...oh, the agony!

Here are some attached pictures from this morning. If anyone has questions concerning the building, go ahead and ask.

John

blueskydriver

With all the little things that has gone along with getting the hangar built, who would've thought that the same thing real pilots are always concerned about, is likely going to affect my last push to finish. Today, I got the guys coming back to put the interior panels on the ceiling; however, old man winter will not give in just yet and we're about too be hit with a blizzard that has 12-18 inches of snow forecasted!

Oh yeah, sim pilot gets grounded by the real weather right? Funny as it seems, I am supposed to have the scissor lift brought back out this morning; although, it's only one where we needed two. The second one is tied up with another contractor, so my guys will be using one scissor lift and two scaffolding units (I mentioned those in earlier posts; I am so happy we purchase them now).

Anyway, I am also supposed to go get a pallet jack because all my stuff that is the hangar now is on pallets, which is fine, but it's all on one end of the shed. The plan is to do the first half of the ceiling, move all the stuff to that side, and then finish the other half of the ceiling. Again, the weather will play a part because I will have to use my 18' trailer too go pick the pallet jack up...can you see where all this is going yet?

By the way, I share all of this because there is a moral to it all and that moral is called planning. Like flying real or simulated flights it's all about planning, so when building a hangar or location for your sim, you must plan for everything, including the weather. Consequently, Karen and I did sit down in the beginning and made plans, but we did not account for snow storms/blizzards this late...usually, it might be an inch or two here or there, but not a foot to a foot and a half of snow in one day. This is Janruary weather, not late March weather...uuuggghh!

I will post some more pics later of the snow and ceiling; albeit, did I mention I have an eye exam this afternoon?...rotflol! See...I uh, no wait not see, but more so are you hearing what I am saying...lol! If this isn't the biggest joke of the week, I don't know what is. Oh wait, let's add more insanity too all of this, how about that I've only had 4 hours sleep since Monday at 3pm!

And you thought getting into flight simulation was not a crazy idea...okay, it is a crazy idea, but I would not trade any of this for anything in the world...uh, well being on a nice sandy beach by the ocean, on a hot sunny day, sucking down a giant glass of ice tea might be enough...lol.

As crazy as it can be, do not let anyone nor yourself make you believe that it's too crazy of an idea. It's really all about the adventure of being a simulator pilot/owner that makes it worth it.

:rock:.

John

blueskydriver

HOORAY!!! THE HANGAR IS DONE!!!

Yep, the hangar is finally done...okay, not 100% because the heat source is not installed yet, but for all other purposes it's ready for moving into. Now, that is the big question; what should we move in first?

You would think the simulator would be first, but in my case no because there are so many other things related to the sim, as well as all of the tools that I have. Plus, we did take down two 8'X10' sheds that was full of useful items, so those items must be shelved out of the way before the sim comes in. The big thing we did was buy a pallet jack the other day...

With a pallet jack, you can move everything around really easy, of course you'll need pallets. We got a lot of pallets from all the shed materials being delivered, so that made things even easier. The pallet jack only cost $225 new at a Menards hardware store; it's a great investment.

Anyway, all the hangar insulation and interior panels are done...I will post pics later (once I get out there). Being done with the insulation is the best part, as I break out in a skin rash (mainly my arms) from that stuff and I still have it. Even after wearing a full Tyvek suit, gloves taped on, a hat and glasses. I still got it. Try not scratching an itch that just won't stop...uuugghh!

Finally, I have described a lot of the trials and tribulations while posting in this thread, but I did so in the hopes that it will help others with their own hangar project, as well as it at least provided some funny reading. The main point though, is to encourage you too build a hangar or dedicated space for your sim, assuming you can get an area, get the funds and get your other half to go along with the idea. For you single folks, you still need permission from your sane side, as your insane side has already made its decision...

Best Regards

John

Look for more updates once the moving in really gets going.

simlady/ Karen

:-* How funny is it that i came across this post... i don't remember you telling me that you posting this on Cockpit Builders..

Thank you for not showing me in my PJ's out in the shed working.

As for everyone else, I'm happy the ManCave is done and you're all invited to come over and hang out once we move John's Toys in. He would like that, you all can drool over it together.

I'll provide the drool rags.  ;D

Joe Lavery

First of all Karen that's not a shed, it really is a hanger. :idiot:

I've seen smaller factories than that, and our definition of a shed here in the UK is not much bigger than a dog kennel. If you can just about stand up in it, it's a shed. If you can drive a 747 into it, it's probably John's "shed".  8)

Joking aside and drooling while I write, congratulations both, it looks fabulous and I'm sure you'll both spend many enjoyable hours once the toys are installed. I wish I was nearer I would certainly pay you a visit.

Best regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

blueskydriver

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the kudos and I do wish you could be closer too us... Even though you're not close enough, you're never too far away for a visit...even from the UK. I welcome you and all members too come visit.

John

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

I was supposed too post some pics back when the interior panels were finished, but I got so occupied with moving stuff into the hangar, I forgot to do it. Well, I do have those on my iPad and I will go back and add them later. In the mean time, Karen upgraded my iPhone from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6S plus and I am out in the hangar using it for the first time to take pics of all the stuff that is in here now...OMG, there is not enough room! Look at the pics, what am I going too do?!!

Okay, okay...lol...there is enough room, but it all just needs too be setup yet. You will see why guys always say, "this will never be big enough" no matter how big the building is. Anyway, you will see the cockpit that was in storage for 2 years and many other related items. Also, the fire truck simulator is in here, but not setup. We just got that in here about 30 mins ago, and it was a real chore. The only things left are my working B737 simulator and the B727 cockpit, that's sitting outside, and that still needs too be cut yet, so there is no way I will have enough room...lol! Nah, I will get it all in here...I hope!

That last pic is Karen and I celebrating the moving of everything...YAY!!!

John

Almost forget, I will be selling my iPhone 4 at a good price. It has no scratches on the screen or housing, as I kept a screen protector on it and kept it inside an Otter Case (the Ottter Case, plus charger and I believe I still have the box for the phone as well). If you're interested PM me...

Looks like my pics from the new iPhone came out as 4k res file size, so way too big to attach them all (10). I will compress them tomorrow and add...

quid246

Excellent space, congrats on the hard work, looks great!

How high did you end up with your ceilings?

Bob Reed

Very nice sir! Looks great! What cockpit?

Trevor Hale

test attachment
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate