Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 05:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
560 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 560
Total: 560

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Front View - Projector or Monitors

Started by bagpiper, February 16, 2010, 09:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saabpilot

Hi guys,

Vaesteraas Flight Museum in Sweden has two sims, one Convair Metropolitan 440 and one DC-10.  Both are now equipped wit TripleHead2Go and 3 beamers.
The Metro has 3 screens in fixed (different) angles and the outside view is perfect from CPT side and offset (you seem to fly with a heavy crab) on F/O side.
The DC-10 has a huge curved screen and thus need SOL7 !
If they were building this again today they would opt for three straight screens without the SOL7 like in the CV440.

Ivar, a tip, as you are "close" to Vasteraas - contact the guys there (Chico Schnelzer CV440 or Jens Hubersson DC-10) and go and study their setup.
They essentially use the same setup as the Australians.
Too complicated to explain here in short but easily done and a perfect solution if you fly from the CPT side.

http://www.flygmuseum.com/

For those who have small rooms for their sim, the heat will be a problem and you will need some a/c equipment if you put in three beamers.

Best,
Bjorn
www.boeing737sim.se
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

jackpilot

Nice pictures on that site...the DC10 looks really cool.
I always have the same idea bugging me when I see steam gauges..reverting to good old tech!
But anyway the pic below clearly shows where the angles of the front view screen are. The 3 screens assembly is slightly to the left of the pit centerline, which is similar to my little drawing on page 1. This way the left seat has no crab effect. Worth testing.
Would be interesting to know if the Museum managed to fill the right side of the view which ,as shown on my drawing, tends to be left out black because of the offset of the front view.

Jack

ivar hestnes

Quote from: saabpilot on February 23, 2010, 11:24:31 PM

Ivar, a tip, as you are "close" to Vasteraas - contact the guys there (Chico Schnelzer CV440 or Jens Hubersson DC-10) and go and study their setup.
They essentially use the same setup as the Australians.
Too complicated to explain here in short but easily done and a perfect solution if you fly from the CPT side.

www.boeing737sim.se

Hi Bjørn
It is a 10 hour drive to Vesteraas from here. So not a every day trip for sure ;) But would be fun to go see their sim some day.
I have already done the configuration for 225 degree visual. I just have not curved it around yet due to the need of three new projectors. And for sure, how to do it is not easy to explain. But relatively easy to make.

I am flying with this 225 setup now projected forward only   :'(  But so far it doesnt seem that I have any crab issues. Didnt have crab issues when running a normal "wide forward view" either. But we will see when the image size is blown up, and it get curved around.

:)

jackpilot

I Ivar

We all know that after a "rehydratation" session you tend to walk sideways...
No wonder you dont have crab issue when running!

:laugh: :laugh:....

Jack

ivar hestnes

saabpilot

No Ivar
- you should go with Norwegian to Arlanda, then give me a call and we will pick you up!

The 3 beamers (BenQ short throws) sit centered over each other and the view is adjusted in FS9 so CPT has a 100% correct view - this makes the F/O side to look out with an "crab angle".
The screens give a sideview that cover the CV440 side window to 80%. 
This is enough to get the realistic "speed feeling" in take off/landing.
Same in the DC-10.

Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow

ivar hestnes

You are very correct Bjørn ;) 
I drive most of my time, so forgot about the plane option. Norwegian fly from my local airport. Could be fun to go and visit you guys. Something to do a little closer to summer I guess. I have family close to the swedish border along E-18. From there to Vesteraas it is like 4,5 hours I think. Will think about this :) Many possibilities for sure :)

What kind of Benq projectors are you using? I am planning for the Benq MP782-ST.

:)

saabpilot

I am not sure about the BenQ model number, they were purchased 1 ½ year ago.
MP782-ST is probably the best short throw beamer for FS use at the moment.

If you will come here just give us an email at:  bjorn /at/ boeing737sim.se !   ;D
Fly Safe - Low and slow

Sean

Quote from: ivar hestnes on February 24, 2010, 11:38:06 AM
But so far it doesnt seem that I have any crab issues. Didnt have crab issues when running a normal "wide forward view" either. But we will see when the image size is blown up, and it get curved around.

It will be fine. My visual setup is similar to yours, but I now have the curved screen and the crab effect is not present. My projectors are mounted centrally and the 'view' looks right from both the left and right hand seat.

Ricardo Carvalho

Quote from: ivar hestnes on February 19, 2010, 12:42:32 PM
OK:     Triplehead2go + 3 x native XGA beamers. 5 undocked windows, showing: Left, FWD left, FWD, FWD right, right. All windows must have exactly the same zoom setting. Try and failure until you have a match.

Hello Ivar,

I have been testing visuals and have figured how to set up the views so they match perfectly, the only thing i can't figure out is how do you remove the window frame from the undocked windows... is this possible?

Thanks.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate