Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 03:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
547 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 547
Total: 547

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Updates on my 737 Build

Started by XOrionFE, March 21, 2010, 04:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

Finally got my basement finished and after putting up my little Mustang to fly I am back to working on the 737.    I managed to get my hands on an aft overhead panel frame and have the real NG 737 forward frame with all center panel switchs and the lights (lower edge) panel and switches.    These were some nice catches.     I moved my yoke and rear platform into the office and today I moved the MIP and front platform in as well as seats so I can start placing things.     I also was getting close to just purchasing an FDS MIP and Glareshield instead of the ones I am working on but after a little more fabrication today I think I will be ok with my own.   They have Open Cockpits light plates on top of my own backers with my own cnc'd bezels, isis panel, and rmi bezel.  I got the OC light plates because I dont like the way the letter looks when engraved on the cnc because when not backlit it doesnt stand out due to milkyness of underlying plastic.   Laser engraving with bright white letters looks better to me.   I think it will work out good.    I will likely still get the FDS glare wings and 6 packs because they look so nice.   Doing my own mip will save the money for the overhead panels which I really want to be authentic or FDS mixed.   I will have to get some help from Peter on that.   I also am saving pennies for an FDS CDU in the future.

Here are some pictures.....

Regards,
Scott

Larger versions of these pictures can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/

Bob Reed

Very nice Scott. Are you going to use monitors for your visuales?

XOrionFE

Yes, I am planning to use 3 LCDs on TH2GO.   I am still trying to find a suitable one but looking at 32" LCDs and unfortunately when you get to this size your looking at TVs rather than computer lcds and most have wider bezels.   This may make me go to a 28 inch LCD so I can stay in the computer side.   Still looking around though for the right ones.....

My room is really too small for projection unless I settled for a single short throw and I really like the clarity and definition of LCD over projection although you do lose that depth effect.   

What I may end up doing is putting two up a wide view computer or two with sideview LCDs as well but will have to cross that bridge once I get there.  I have been following Angus's and am looking forward to see what Trevor does also.

Scott

shaneb

Hey Scott,

Glad to see your able to start working on your 737 again.  It is looking great. . I was admiring that yoke/column setup. I hope to get started on converting mine over to the metal crossover and using your design idea to mount the yokes very soon.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

XOrionFE

Here are some new pictures of my MIP progress.     The light panels are Open Cockpits and again, I chosed these rather than making them on the cnc because I like the laser engraving and the nice bright white color of the letters when not backlit.   I must say that the OC panels are a good value and speed up the project.    The MIP backers, ISIS panel, all bezels including the DUs, rings, etc were made on my cnc.   Everything is starting to take shape nicely and especially love now that I got them painted today.

On a side note, after much thought I decided to purchase the overhead panels from FDS because I really wanted the IBL and also because I spoke to Peter and was able to have them add real Dzus fastners to the backplates so I can pop them right into my real overhead panels.    The Engravity panels were also a nice option but due to the Euro/Dollar conversion, shipping, and lack of IBL I decided to go the FDS route.   I also like the fact that FDS are almost in my backyard (well half a continent anyway :-)) away.  Doesnt mean I wont include some Engravity stuff as well at some point.

Anyway, here are my homemade MIP panels so far....

Larger pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157622388681607/
Scott

ivar hestnes

Good work there Scott. Looks just like a 737 mip  :)
Love your ISIS bezel (jealous)  ;)

Boeing Skunk Works

Looks great Scott. The CNC machine is coming in mighty handy.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Trevor Hale

Scott,  Looks like you have become an expert on the CNC..  Great stuff.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

MarkDidIt

Hey Scott, progress is looking good.  I have to start coming over here more often now to keep tabs on where you're at with your build!

Mark

DarrylH

Beautiful work Scott!!

I  have to agree with you too...CNC'd lettering is nice but Laser Engraved is just at another level again.

XOrionFE

Well today my FDS overhead panels and 6 packs arrived.     I must say that when I open the box and unwrapped the first panel I was just absolutely blown away by the quality and detail in these panels.   Later I hooked up one to my 5v ps and turned out the light......and OMG!   The IBL is just absolutely drop dead gorgeous.   I quickly grabbed one of my real overhead panels and lit it up for comparison and I must say....FDS got it right if not arguably even better than the original.   Not only that but with the supplied wiring and connectors and the annunciators all ready to go it is just as complete as it could possibly be.   Worth every last penny spent.   I know the first time I get the whole panel setup and lit up I will likely camp out in front of it overnight!

Thank you Peter and the rest of FDS for such a wonderful offering.    Next will be the aft ovhd panels and a high capacity sys board.    Cant wait to have this stuff start coming together.....

I definitely have a lot of work cut out for me but with the FDS ovhd my life just got a whole light easier for sure.

Anyway...just had to report my glee!  Oh and Peter...notice the new Avatar and signature....your idea but I couldnt resist! :-)

Trevor Hale

Awesome Job Scott,  I can't wait to see pictures of the overhead when you get some...  Always good to see another project on the horizon.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate