Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 10:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
525 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 525
Total: 525

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Big contract

Started by jackpilot, March 28, 2010, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

I need two custom acrylic panels, boeing gray, no engraving, to fill the gap under my TQ levers.
Who will be the lucky one to make  it???
::)

Jack

XOrionFE

Jack, I would be happy to make for you.   All I have is the white Acrylic though if that works for you.   I have 5.8mm.  It looks like you want to bend around the top?  If that is the case then I think I have just enough 3mm poly left that would work nice.   If is a little more flexable.  The paint I have is a good match and really tough stuff.    Do you need any holes drilled?  It is very easy to plot and drill them precisely on the cnc.

Anyway, only other thing may be shipping.    I can make the panels for you for nothing but not sure where you live or what shipping would cost.  I am just outside of Chicago.

Scott

jackpilot

Color is not an issue but I need 3mm thick to be even with rest (and I have to bend it)
Many Thanks anyway.
Jack
PS Iwould pay the costs of course
Shipping to NY12953

Jack

jackpilot

Can Poly be heat bent? I suppose yes.

Jack

XOrionFE

yes, that is what I used for around the top of the radio Pedestal.   Heated with a torch and it bent easily.   Holds it shape perfectly afterward.   

Only probably is that the paint might get ruined if it was painted first.    May be better to be bent first then painted.   Your lenth may have to be adusted slightly for the bend also.

jackpilot

The length is already calculated for the bend.
I do not know anything about poly.
Painted acrylic panels bent quite well with a heat gun
see: http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=640.0

Jack

XOrionFE

well my guess is this would be fine.  The paint I use is a PPG auto interior paint that is sprayed on after using plastic adhesion promoter.   I will take a heat gun to a test peice and see if it works.

Boeing Skunk Works

Jack, if it were my project, I would make those individual pieces instead of a whole plate. Working a piece at a time it would be much easier to bend them with heat, and you can attach the rubber dustshields individually afterwards.

Just another idea I used.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Hi Mike
Had that thought, ... it means more screw heads and less clean design.
But it remains a very valid option.
Thank you for the tip.

Jack

Boeing Skunk Works

I know yours is a hybrid design, but that's just what Boeing did with the earlier throttles. There are four countersunk screws holding each of the plates to the bulkheads.

I rather like it myself, but I like that old tech stuff.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

XOrionFE

Well I will test the paint tonight for heat resistance and let you know how it works Jack and will confirm before cutting that you still want to go that route.   I probably will have to do this over next weekend if that is ok as I will be out of town on business Wed. and Thursday but happy to help out if I can.   

Scott

XOrionFE

Well the heat from a heat gun held at around 1/2" for a good minute did not effect the paint at all.   This paint I use is really the stuff....

That said, the heat gun didnt seem like it had enough heat to allow the poly to break down and go limp for reforming.   When I did the piece for my pedestal I actually used a propane torch to heat up rapidly then bent.  That obviously would not be good on your actual throttle quad but could be done fine over a form.   

The other thing about the poly is at 3mm it is very bendable without even heating.  You could literally bend it over your top probabaly fine but would have to hold it down somehow at each end.

XOrionFE

Jack,

Just double checking that the bottom part is 3mm?

jackpilot

Make it 5mm (3 is too slim probably)
I will modify the idle stop position of my levers.
I tried to have maximum travel.
The second small panel will go over the back open end. The fact that it is removable allows sliding in /removing the main panel without disassembling the power levers.
If you do not mind trying It should be fine.
The 5mm end makes it vulnerable during shipping, has to be sandwiched between someting rigid.
No rush whatsoever , of course.
Thanks a ton.
JP

Jack

XOrionFE

ok

I will make it 5mm.   No problem.  Have plenty of poly and this is a quick cut for the cnc.    I have some of my panels for my MIP to paint this weekend so will paint these at same time.   

Scott

jackpilot

super nice
Thanks Scott.

Jack

Trevor Hale

Hey Scott,  if you get a chance to take pictures of the various steps, I would love to see how you do this..

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

XOrionFE

Well, I got them cut.  I did one out of 3mm poly and also because I had recently got an aluminum cutting endmill and some 2.25 mm thick aluminum I decided to give that a go as well.   They both turned out nice.   The endmill I got for aluminum cut it like butter.   Very cool.    Anyway, I did a little video of the cnc process from artwork to cam to the cnc but wont have time to put it together and up until the weekend.    Jack, here is a little peak at the cover plates.    I will paint when I get back this weekend and they can be out the door to you on Monday (I will send both and that way you can try either).   The aluminum is pretty stiff stuff but I am sure it would be easy to bend on the curve you have and would definitely hold shape.

Regards,
Scott

Bob Reed

Wow Scott.. Very very nice!

Trevor Hale

Fantastic..  Looks great guys..  Awesome.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Flabbergasting...( if that word exists and is correctly spelled)

Wahoooooooo!

Jack

jackpilot

GOT THEM....
They fit perfect..I think I will use the aluminum one..
Will report
Thanks a ton Scott!!!
Super work and nice help!

Jack

XOrionFE

Great!

Glad they fit.   Yeah, my choice would have been the aluminum one also.  Sorry I didnt have the exact thickness but it should be close and easier to form.

Glad to help.  That is what this hobby is all about.

Scott

jackpilot

Thickness no prob...will now have to curve it gently...

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate