Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 11:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
562 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 562
Total: 562

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Pressure to push levers(?)

Started by Steve A, March 30, 2010, 09:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve A

While im waiting for various items to arrive to finish my throttle, or at least make it usable, I have not been able to help myself from sitting with it pushing the power levers back and forth lol, i mounted the levers very kindly donated by Jack on a 12mm central spindle/axle and used a combination of large nylon and steel washers plus nyloc nuts. This method has worked great for getting good friction and the levers feel strong when pushed back and forth, and by loosening or tightening the nyloc nuts i can adjust the stiffness (?) Enough waffle, my question is:
How many pounds of force is required to push by hand real throttles forwards?
I was thinking i could adjust mine with the aid of a sprung scale ( like what fishermen use ) and get them approximately feeling like the real thing.

Thanks Steve

jackpilot

Tough question.
I think from memory that Mike told me 6 pounds, I may be off.
Rule of thumb.
As hard as you like, as long as you are able to make fine adjustments without having to go back and forth to reach the desired point.

Tip, to estimate the right torque/feel move the two levers together as you have to overcome about twice each lever friction.
Probably someone will jump in with a better answer.
JP

Jack

DarrylH

I can't comment directly on airliners but in general and (in my opinion having flown lights, and some high performance):

1. Depends whether the throttle is spring or mechanically loaded to "closing". If so you want a good dose of friction.

2. Depends on the sort of flying you are doing. Long cruise you want tight friction. Jaunting around sight seeing you may have it more loose.

3. Aerobatics, tight enough to not move around, loose enough so that you can use your fine motor contol for small adjustments.

4. At the end of each flight friction nuts and oil tank caps should be tightened as much as humanly possible (with grips preferably) because it ensures that the next pilot's  inconvenience is  maximised.... ;D

That is the reason most aircraft have pilot adjustable friction nuts. I assume with auto throttles witn servos may differ greatly

Darryl

Boeing Skunk Works

I may still have that spec that was sent to me from a Boeing maintenance manual. However, it's stored on an out of service computer at the moment. Still works, just not being used.

I am going to be using this computer again in the near future and when I get it out of mothball I'll see if it's still on the drive.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Steve A

Thanks Guys, It would be interesting to know exactly but for now i have set them at about 5lbs as this feels nice when im pushing/pulling, I have had to put a small bag of sand in the base of the stand as a weight because i cannot screw down the throttle and it trys to tip when i use it lol

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate