Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
145 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have you done for your simulator today?

Started by blueskydriver, January 14, 2018, 04:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Spent another night playing with P3D and Fly Elise...is it me or does P3D just seem so washed out? Fooled with a lot of settings and it just seems that way overall...hmmmm  :D

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FSAddon_boss

I am waaaaaaay behind the curve compared to most of you here....

Not only is my cockpit far from ready, but it is nothing as suave as many builds I see posted here. I had to cut my panel from an old bit of Tùtriplex wood that was screwed on this house when we bought it 8 years ago..... with an electric hacksaw.

No laser-cut aluminum panel for this ol' boy.

But my main challenge is not my health, nor money (well, that's second place), not even time (though getting closer) or space (after 68 years I found myself a BARN)..... or my 0% knowledge of electronics.
None of all that are insurmountable hurdles.

Nope.

My main problem is my dear wife. Because she thinks ANY money spent on any sort of Hobby is a crime against humanity (no, she has no hobbies).....

So what have I done for my Sim this weekend?
Arguing that I REALLY NEED a Creality Ender Pro to print me some bezels for the panel.

If you don't hear from me anymore.......
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Jason L

I hear ya.  I live in an area where hunting is the go-to hobby.  Guys spend thousands on guns and other hunting gear and then disappear for weekends, etc. all throughout the year.  My wife likes that my hobby is in the basement and she knows where I am and what I'm working on.  As such she's OK with the project.  I get the 'ANOTHER box from xxxx showed up today' comment every once in a while.
Hobbies are important.  She like to do crafty things and this way we keep our minds fresh.

blueskydriver

You guys just need to ask your wives to be a part of it and help you do things. Tell them how happy the sim hobby makes you feel and that if they help, you both will be doing something together.

However, flight simulation hobby is not cheap at all, and you gotta get over that along with explaining it too them. BUT, do tell them you'll recoup some of the money when you sell things off later on, so not a total waste of money.

If they still don't go along with it, you might need a new wife! I'm just kidding..., but then again, I did just that and got Karen who's awesome about it all. And, like I mentioned years ago, her maiden last name is WING! Can't go wrong there!  ;D  :laugh:

John

PS are there any airports nearby that offer GA aircraft rides for a small fee? A lot of aircraft clubs do this too generate money. If yes, let them get your wife up there and put her in the Co-Pilot seat...trust me, the thrill for her will work towards your simulator hobby!
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

By the way, it doesn't have too be 3D printed, CNC'ed or Laser Cut, and it could be cheap if you want it...take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/Gy0mwzWqHk0

My first sim started with poster board and ice cream sticks!

John

PS it's really about imagination...I admire this kid:

https://youtu.be/kwEYO25rCUQ

blueskydriver

Just told Karen about this wife aspect thing and kid you not, she says "that you guys need too play this song/video and listen to the words..."

https://youtu.be/p0pM5dm--yQ

John

FSAddon_boss

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

John, Nina and I have been married for 47 years..... she comes from a poor family in a poor country. I come from a family where hobbies were the reason to work and live.

We've had arguments about this (potting up money instead of using it to have fun) for 47 years. That ain't gonna change anymore.

And I took her up with me in several Cessna's and Jodels.... all fine, as long as I don't have to pay for it too much (hence, no PPL)....

:laugh:  :laugh:

Some things are just incurable..... but we still love each other. Just have to get it off my chest every once in awhile.

Peace !
Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

Well, my simulator loves me...uh, not really!

Looks like I got to move my projectors forward 2 feet because I placed them that far back past my 7'8.5" radius of the screen. In my old garage setup I had them at that location, but for some reason I put them at 9'8.5" for the new setup, which makes my center image bigger than the side images and throws the screen correction off.

Sad thing is I got too move the back wall/box in order to reach the whole framing that I have up, where the projectors are attached. Of course it sounds easy, but before I can do that, I got to move the computer desk and computer racks, along with covering all of the Lego City up with plastic sheeting (dust is the enemy).

Thus, that is what I'm doing for my simulator today...uuuuggggggghhhhhh  ::)

John

RayS

Strange that I've been helping others with their sims lately, and totally enjoying it!

My friend James moved to a new home this past year. We broke down his sim back in August of 2021.

Just yesterday we completed the first 'official' flight in his full-size 737-800 sim. He moved it from a very small garage to a massive RV garage. We built a platform, and slowly put it all back together. Future plans include a few rows in the First Class section with windows, a drink cart, and maybe a few other goodies.

James also reluctantly shelved MSFS2020 and dove head-first into X-Plane. We've been struggling with 2020 in his sim for months and months. We would get it all fixed and running, only to have it break all over again with the next 2020 update. He finally had enough.

A few weekends ago we converted his sim from 2020 to X-Plane.

Two hours later, we were performing test flights.

Also been helping our very own Robert Reed build his Beechcraft 1900D. We've been working on a microcontroller interface to interface all the switches and lights.

Also working on a website so I can market some of my other skills, like doing simple real-world gauge conversions to work in X-Plane.
(www.EllieAvionics.com)

The site is still a work on progress but I hope to have it completed by the end of June, when I finally pull the plug on the corporate world and head off into the retirement sunset.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Bob Reed

As Ray said we have been working on the Beech 1900D. Today I started to rebuild the TQ I have had for a very long time and make it function. No idea how I built 2 other sims without a 3D printer  :P  :laugh:  HUGE THANK YOU to Ray for all his help and his patience!

sagrada737

Hi Bob,

Looks like you are making good progress on your Beech 1900D Sim Project.  I'm not too familiar with the cockpit panel layout, but from what I see on the Net, it is somewhat the same as a King Air.  What are you going to do for the Flight Model?

Anyway, it seems like an interesting and unique project.  Glad that Ray is helping...   Always good to have a partner on big projects like this.  Looking forward to seeing more photos as your project comes together.

If you need a projection system, I have three Optoma GT1080HD projectors you might be interested in.

Regarding 3D printing...   Good to see that you are proficient in designing and making your own 3D printed parts.  Have you tried using PETG?  It is a very durable material that is easy to print at 80C Bed Temp @ 240C.  Also can be post-machined.

Best wishes on your Sim Project.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Jason L

After a long, long journey working with my Dremel and a Dimond cutting wheel I finally have all my annunciators fitted on my forward overhead.  Working on the final touches this week and will assemble to start interfacing with my 6 Arduino megas.  Will post pictures once this part is finished.

Bob Reed

Quote from: sagrada737 on March 13, 2022, 04:19:46 AMHi Bob,

Looks like you are making good progress on your Beech 1900D Sim Project.  I'm not too familiar with the cockpit panel layout, but from what I see on the Net, it is somewhat the same as a King Air.  What are you going to do for the Flight Model?

Anyway, it seems like an interesting and unique project.  Glad that Ray is helping...   Always good to have a partner on big projects like this.  Looking forward to seeing more photos as your project comes together.

If you need a projection system, I have three Optoma GT1080HD projectors you might be interested in.

Regarding 3D printing...   Good to see that you are proficient in designing and making your own 3D printed parts.  Have you tried using PETG?  It is a very durable material that is easy to print at 80C Bed Temp @ 240C.  Also can be post-machined.

Best wishes on your Sim Project.

Mike
Hi Mike. And yes it looks a lot like the B200 or 300 or 350, just bigger. I am using the Carenado B1900D flight model. As of the printing, I have not tried PETG I was worried about ambient temperature as my printer is not enclosed.

blueskydriver

XOrionFE

And I bought it all....Thank you John

Scott

(Ps.- the Blueskydriver 737 has flown from Wisconsin to Illinois!)

blueskydriver

TIME FOR MY FULLSIZE ATC TOWER SIMULATOR ON VATSIM!

NO KIDDING!

Seriously, I'm moving onto the ATC side....

PS. All my stuff is at Scott's house, so I have nothing left to sell.  ;D

Jason L

Wait what?  I didn't even know you were selling!?  Wow.  Big change.

blueskydriver

Didn't know I was selling either, but I was having a hard time keeping at it mentally and physically that the thoughts of moving on keep creeping in.

And, after discussing this with Scott who tried talking me out of doing this, I decided it was the best choice too do so while I still could. Thus, I offered it all to him first because he is the one who helped me the most throughout all these years.

Consequently, I am not leaving the hobby though. I'm going to keep a desktop sim, as well as continue to use my big curved screen and projectors for a full-size ATC sim.

Hopefully, I will be on VATSIM soon and controlling traffic for many folks here on Cockpitbuilders who fly online....

John

fsaviator

What have I done for my sim?  I think I broke it...
Not really!  This is what a pile of 99% complete 737 NG looks like after it's moved.

As many will remember, I am just back into my natural state of moving this beast from one location to another.  She is now in very close proximity to her final parking spot.

I got the opportunity with my job to come down and work in Greece for six months (and I get to live in the home I will retire in).  There is a possibility over the next year that it will become a permanent work move so I made a snap decision and tore down the sim and hired a van and driver to load it up and move it from it from Germany to Greece.

This build will incorporate a rear bulkead and jump seats, an instructor station, a business class section, and a cockpit door.

I'm also seriously thinking of a collimated display.  I've got 15 feet to play with for width.  I'm torn on this as I know I need a ton of research, but I want to get it all back together and flying.

I hauled down all my old parts as well so I'll see if any budding builders in Greece want some good deals on seats, forward and aft overheads, and some other odds and ends.
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

XOrionFE

Wow, another move.   Warren, I think your 737 sim is possibly the only plane to have actually traveled all over the world!

Good luck in Greece.   Look forward to seeing your bird in the air once more.

Scott

Joe Lavery

Yes Warren, I think they need to ammend the description of static simulator where yours is concerned.. LOL.

Good luck with the next posting.
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

blueskydriver

Hey Warren,

Just keep saying "there's no place like home, there's no place like home..."  ;D

John

Flying_Fox

Since I am like 6 years behind in my main sim PC (still i7 4790 at 4.4 Ghz) here is the state-of-the-art stuff for the new one.
;)

Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi

Processor Intel i9 12900K

RAM G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MHz

Liquid cooler Kraken X73

Bob Reed

With RayS's help, what a patient man, my sim project is moving forward. Not much to show yet but, the programing is going well. It's almost nice enough outside so I can start cutting wood and do some real building an then there will be some pictures. I am really looking forward to being able to fly this beast!

Jason L

Made another purchase...lol.  Will have pics next weekend.  This is one of the few the wife said, wow that's a good deal do it. 
John is a heck of a deal maker.

Making some under $50 magnetic controlled switches for the Yaw and Ice switches on the overhead.  Will utilize small magnet controlled by a small MOS driver board which is signaled from a MobiFlight Arduino.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate