Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 12:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
544 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 544
Total: 544

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Landing Light Switches?

Started by matta757, April 24, 2010, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced supplier or an at-home fix to create Boeing style landing light switches? I am building a 757/767 and am a little sick of the generic switches glaring at me from my overhead. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

matta757

Wow, those look great but 36 euros a piece equates to $48 for each switch. That's a bit higher than I was hoping. Anyone else know of any others?

Boeing Skunk Works

There's always the rated switch for $60. This isn't a cheap hobby.

matta757

I'm aware that it's not a cheap hobby. I have been willing to make larger purchases that were more expensive (things like my yoke, for instance), but $48 for a single switch seems just a little bit high.

Boeing Skunk Works

Well then, try this.

Get a piece of 3/4"x1/16" aluminum stock and cut 5/16" rectangles. Round the edges with a file and sand. Run down to the office supply store and buy a box of stick pins. The kind with the plastics heads. Remove them from the pin and cut each in half using an Exacto knife while rolling them on a hard surface. Attach those to the newly made switch heads, prime and paint.

JB Weld those to your choice of baton SPST switches.

matta757

Now that sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

XOrionFE

Email Nick,

$40 each INCLUDING the switch.   That is a good bargain.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/LL.jpg

Joe Lavery

Hey Matt,

If you're looking for cheap, these guys do a nice set for $32 Australian. That's a set of four painted.
The only downside is you need switches that don't rotate, or you could connect them together with a small strip and switch them all together. Just an idea..

These guys do quite a range of 737 and Airbus stuff, worth a look but bear in mind they are not going to be the real thing.

http://sites.google.com/site/flightfacsimile/home/parts

Cheers

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

autocadplease

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on April 24, 2010, 03:39:52 PM
Well then, try this.

Get a piece of 3/4"x1/16" aluminum stock and cut 5/16" rectangles. Round the edges with a file and sand. Run down to the office supply store and buy a box of stick pins. The kind with the plastics heads. Remove them from the pin and cut each in half using an Exacto knife while rolling them on a hard surface. Attach those to the newly made switch heads, prime and paint.

JB Weld those to your choice of baton SPST switches.

Great idea! Thanks!!!
Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

andarlite

Quote from: Joe Lavery on April 24, 2010, 06:00:00 PM
Hey Matt,

If you're looking for cheap, these guys do a nice set for $32 Australian. That's a set of four painted.
The only downside is you need switches that don't rotate, or you could connect them together with a small strip and switch them all together. Just an idea..

These guys do quite a range of 737 and Airbus stuff, worth a look but bear in mind they are not going to be the real thing.

http://sites.google.com/site/flightfacsimile/home/parts

Cheers

Joe.

I would be careful ordering stuff from these guys. There are a number of us who have not received our order and our e-mails have been ignored.

Regrads,
Henry
Level D 767
FSX

Joe Lavery

Thanks for the heads up Henry, they sent me some samples for my own 737 flight deck and in return I gave them a mention in the magazine. I didn't realise they were messing people about. :(

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

matta757

Hey Joe,

I actually did try emailing them a few months ago about their switches and have still not heard back from them. As Henry mentioned, I have also read some questionable reviews about their communication and punctuality on other forums. But I appreciate your mentioning them as an option, because they certainly are the cheapest I have seen. Too bad they won't return my emails!

Matt

Concorde-AF

sorry to drag up an old topic but they owe me over £100 for an order placed in November 2009 - don't suppose anyone has any contat details other than whats on the website.

Not heard a peep from them since Jan when the emails (and excuses) dried up

Jon

saabpilot

OK metal variant:

http://www.simparts.de/epages/15465782.sf/de_DE/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=14175030&Page=2
10 € each.

For those there are APEM switches available rather cheap with non rotating shafts.

Bjorn
Fly Safe - Low and slow
There are Young Pilots there are Bold Pilots but no Bold and Old Pilots.

NAX228

I bought from Revolution-Sim in Lelystad. Had preordered.
A set of 4 where two of the switches has 3 positions like the real ones, cost me 130€. Exellent quality, but yes, quite expencive. In the big picture the price fades anyway...

http://www.revolution-simproducts.com/
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Aerosim Solutions

Hi guys,

It looks like Aerosim Solutions is going to have to develop a new product here!!! I reckon I could make those pretty easily, I'm going to be making my own at some stage anyway. The trick would be finding a toggle switch with a toggle that doesn't rotate without using a locking type. Anyone know where to source these from?

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

matta757

Hey Gwyn,

Any idea what an estimated date of availability will be on those landing light switches?

Matt

Boeing Skunk Works

He first has to find an appropriate toggle who's toggle will not turn or twist as it is accuated. Those are a bit difficult to find in a non-locking toggle.

I searched Mouser today Gwyn and I did not see anything. I don't think they carry Honeywell or Eaton switches though and IIRC, that is who made those switches for Boeing. I would have to check with both Honeywell and Eaton for sure.

Their catalog(s) does not have that option listed, but there are custom solution that they can manufacture. Probably big bucks for a limited run. Might be cheaper in the long run to get them from Nick.

shaneb

This site carries Honeywell switches . . were cheaper than other sites.  Don't know if any of them will work for what you are wanting.  But it is a cheaper source for switches.

http://www.arrownac.com/
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: matta757 on November 26, 2010, 01:17:31 PM
Hey Gwyn,

Any idea what an estimated date of availability will be on those landing light switches?

Matt

Sorry Matt, it won't be for a while. I have 8 column elbow and base pivots to make, a set of A320 Airbus flap and speedbrake levers and another Spitfire TQ to do before I tackle anything else but I will make the landing light switches as soon as I can. I'll also try dismantling a standard toggle switch to see if I can lock up the shaft - stay tuned. I'll cast the landing light switch covers in polyurethane after making a metal pattern. Anyone want to pop over and put my sim together, I miss it!!!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

fordgt40

The switches you need for landing lights can be found at the following link. Scroll down to the 5000 series of switches

http://www.apem.com/toggles.html

Apem switches are availble in many countries, not just the US

David

Boeing Skunk Works

After looking through 42 pages of specifications and options I did not see the option for a non-turning toggle on the 5000 series. That looks to be a very lightweight switch to begin with.

The 3500 would be a better choice and more in line with the Honeywell or Eaton that Boeing uses if it can be had with the non-turning toggle. I saw nothing in those specs either to indicate one is available.

fordgt40

There is "no option for a non turning toggle" They all are non turning - see page 5 for a section thru the 5000 series of switches, where it clearly shows a centre pivot. These are also the switches used by Revolution Sim Products in their landing light switch product.

On the 737 you do not want a large bulky switch as it will mask the backlighting. Also, there is no current to speak off.

Suggest you look again  :)

David

Boeing Skunk Works

I will have another look at the 5000. I don't know what you mean by "mask the backlighting". It is built into the panel.

The switch still looks physically flimsy. I would want something more robust that is going to be operated at least twice per flight, possibly bang your head into, or otherwise accidentally bump while reaching for another control or switch. Panel thickness looks to be limited to 2mm using two mounting nuts or 4mm using only one. Not much of a mounting bushing.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate