Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
154 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Laser CNC cutting/etching using a 3D printer?

Started by blueskydriver, October 11, 2018, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

The subject has come up recently about using 3D printers and laser CNC cutting/etching together. So, while doing some researching, I stumbled onto this video where a YouTube user did just that...check out his video!

https://youtu.be/cbDS_ba_6j0

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

The laser shown in that video has been around for some time now but it's a blue laser which is very low power.
The video that followed that one from Thomas Sandler is a lot more interesting because the machine seems a lot more useful than I thought possible. 
So it seems my original contention that a multi purpose machine was not viable was wrong.   :( 8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmD4kwz3XV8

Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

blueskydriver

Hey Joe,

I don't think you were wrong. It's not the best option when you look at having one machine to do it all. For example, if any of the stepper motors fail, all three uses of the machine are done. Whereas, with separate machines, one can fail and yet, you can still do work with the other two.

Of course you could always keep backup stepper motors...lol, but if it's not them, it'll be something else that would keep your 3 in 1 machine from working.

The "Murphy's Law" thing  :o

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

I agree John, I also think the all in one solution is restricted to the base size of the machine, for example my Laser will cut up to 500 x 300, and my CNC router goes up to 600 x 400. But you're right the only way I would consider it was if I was restricted to the space I had to work in.

Of course these multi purpose machines are aimed more at schools and universities where the space could be an issue.

Joe.   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate