Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 07:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
526 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 546
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 526
Total: 526

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

B777 Glarewings

Started by Kennair, June 09, 2010, 05:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennair

OK after inspiration from the likes of Math Maessen at http://www.boeing777.nl/ and the Austrian team at http://www.project777.com/,  I've begun the 777 build with the glareshield wings.  I considered purchasing the excellent wings from FDS but decided to give the home-build another go (sorry Peter).  Here is the result.

Due to the fact that I already own the Opencockpits 737 MCP and 2 x EFIS controllers, when you take into account the wider 737 MCP plus the 777 EICAS DSP controller my glareshield needs to be 60mm wider than the real deal.  For this reason I reduced the glarewings by 30mm each.  These were constructed from 16mm MDF.  Further trimming and painting is required but I think should work out nicely.  They will of course be painted black due to the grey colour of my 777 build.

Ken.

Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

XOrionFE

Nice work Ken!

I need to do the same thing.   I bought the 6 pack/Warning/Caution annunciator kits from FDS and will be making my own Glare wings.  My motto is build what I can and buy what I cannot.

I look forward to seeing your progress.   The 777 at the FDS openhouse was just absolutely incredible.

Scott

Bob Reed

I agree, I think they will work nicely!!

Kennair

Quote from: XOrionFE on June 09, 2010, 07:45:46 AM
Nice work Ken!

I need to do the same thing.   I bought the 6 pack/Warning/Caution annunciator kits from FDS and will be making my own Glare wings.  My motto is build what I can and buy what I cannot.

I look forward to seeing your progress.   The 777 at the FDS openhouse was just absolutely incredible.

Scott

I'm so envious of all those that had the opportunity to attend the FDS openhouse, a true sim wonderland!  I agree with your building motto Scott, building what you can is also a damn fun and satisfying thing to do, however after seeing those CDU's I'm in for one of those!  Just can't home-build something of that quality for the price.  Unfortunately FDS lift the game to such an extent that it puts a lot of pressure on us home builders but I guess I can stand the strain :)

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

jackpilot

Nice wings Ken
Choose carefully the paint, the best is to find satin black with a fine texture or some rubberish compound.
To get a good result MDF has to be primed and sanded like crazy

Jack

Kennair

Quote from: jackpilot on June 09, 2010, 12:11:02 PM
Nice wings Ken
Choose carefully the paint, the best is to find satin black with a fine texture or some rubberish compound.
To get a good result MDF has to be primed and sanded like crazy

Yes I was thinking of trying some automotive spray primer putty under the black to give it a bit of an upholstered look.  I'll do some tests first.

Ken.

phil744

Nice work Ken, im i big Boeing fan as you know and i like to say "if it aint brown it stays on the ground" but even i admit the T7 will look better in gray than, as Mr Carter put it "baby scheißen brown"

Af for painting the glares yep MDF is a bitch, its like painting a sponge, what works best is basically car body filler and apply a thin skin on it then sand to shape, especially where the cut sides are and where its been machined, That spray on putty/filler primer is useless ive found out, it does work but u have to use quite a lot and you end up with too much on the non cut sides and its really easy to chip. as for texture plasticoat do a leather effect paint, works well, then just give it a black top coat, just personal opinion here but go for satin black not matt, reason is simple, u can keep satin paints clean, matt paints look scruffy after a short while when the dust settles and you can never clean it right.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Kennair

Quote from: phil744 on June 11, 2010, 09:01:03 AM
Nice work Ken, im i big Boeing fan as you know and i like to say "if it aint brown it stays on the ground" but even i admit the T7 will look better in gray than, as Mr Carter put it "baby scheißen brown"

Af for painting the glares yep MDF is a bitch, its like painting a sponge, what works best is basically car body filler and apply a thin skin on it then sand to shape, especially where the cut sides are and where its been machined, That spray on putty/filler primer is useless ive found out, it does work but u have to use quite a lot and you end up with too much on the non cut sides and its really easy to chip. as for texture plasticoat do a leather effect paint, works well, then just give it a black top coat, just personal opinion here but go for satin black not matt, reason is simple, u can keep satin paints clean, matt paints look scruffy after a short while when the dust settles and you can never clean it right.

Thanks Phil, great tip.  I'll give the body filler a go in preference to the putty.  I've also been thinking of getting them professionally upholstered instead, considering they've cost me bugger all to this point.  Still got switch holes to cutout first so I'll get onto that while considering the ultimate finish.

Thanks again,

Ken.

Boeing Skunk Works

Use the one-part auto body glaze instead. It's thinner and doesn't need to be mixed. It also dries faster. It comes in a tube.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

DarrylH

Ken,

give me a PM if you are interested in some "vinyl" look finish. I used a combination of paint/primer from Protec on the Spitty panel and that is similar to the finish I got.

Darryl

Kennair

Thanks Darryl, PM sent.

I found an automotive texture spray product (SEM Texture Spray) that looked promising.  In my internet trawl I found some example photos on a site detailing how to build a Lost In Space robot! http://www.cruff.com/b9/Photos/Torso/.  It's amazing the hobbies people have.  Others probably stumble upon sites like this one and remark similarly.   ;D

Ken.

Maurice

I used Rocker Guard which is a rubberized paint/coating you spray inside fenders to protect them from stone chips etc... It works & looks great with a vinyl like texture and can be painted directly over MDF with no priming required. It can also be painted if you don't like black.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Jetcos

Rocker guard or gravel guard will work. Test spray on a piece of cardboard and change the distance that you spray at. This will change the texture. Do light coats and several if ness.  There is also a spray that is a texture that you can spray on bumper covers or fascia's. This spray is a finer texture to match bumpers with the painted and textured areas. Comes in black or greys. Most auto supply or collision supply stores would carry it.

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Aerosim Solutions

Hey Ken, I have to ask! All these suggestions about painting a fake vinyl, why not upholster in real vinyl like my wings and top cover. It's really easy, bring them over on Sunday and I'll do it for you. I'll have your TQ ready to take home Sunday night if all goes well this weekend. I've made the top covers and lightplates, it's ready for painting and engraving. Wish it was mine!!!

Cheers, Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Kennair

Thanks Gwyn,

Real upholstering was certainly one of my options.  I still need to finish it off so I'll give you a hoy when its ready.  Excellent news on the quad too, can't wait to pick it up.  Keep me informed of the finish date, I'm available Sunday so can certainly attend the ceremony.

Cheers,

Ken.

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: Kennair on June 14, 2010, 05:25:05 AM
Thanks Gwyn,

Real upholstering was certainly one of my options.  I still need to finish it off so I'll give you a hoy when its ready.  Excellent news on the quad too, can't wait to pick it up.  Keep me informed of the finish date, I'm available Sunday so can certainly attend the ceremony.

Cheers,

Ken.

I'll see if I can organise a bbq for the ceremony!!!

Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Boeing Skunk Works

I wish my 727 had the range!
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on June 14, 2010, 04:05:22 PM
I wish my 727 had the range!
Shutdown the spare motor Mike, will that help? Or you could visit YPPH in FS and marvel at the boring scenery to be with us in spirit. That's Wild Turkey spirit by the way!!!

Gwyn

Bob Reed

Here is something that just dawned on me about this subject. You can paint it with satan paint and texture it and it will look very good... at first.... But after 3 months, 6 months a year........How are you going to clean it? If it is textures you are not going to be able to spray it and wipe it with a cloth... Just thinking here...

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate