Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
166 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

How to mount a yoke

Started by FSAddon_boss, August 15, 2021, 07:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSAddon_boss

Just wondering how everybody hid their yoke 'housing'..... you know, the big ugly bit of plastic that commercial yoke companies have the actual yoke go into?
I have both a CH and a Saitek yoke, both are equally big, and the housing does not fit behind the panel, because that's where the monitor running AirManager sits.

So should I just LOWER the yoke then underneath the monitor? Will that still make the aircraft flyable (I'd have to sit lower).

I saw someone just made his own yoke, but that's beyond my skills I think....

Ideas?
Best regards,
Francois
retired

blueskydriver

What about modifying the housing? You could make it smaller and/or remove the components and build them into your MIP...

Don't be afraid too experiment, and as they say "think outside of the box"....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

Quote from: FSAddon_boss on August 15, 2021, 07:59:17 AMJust wondering how everybody hid their yoke 'housing'..... you know, the big ugly bit of plastic that commercial yoke companies have the actual yoke go into?
I have both a CH and a Saitek yoke, both are equally big, and the housing does not fit behind the panel, because that's where the monitor running AirManager sits.

So should I just LOWER the yoke then underneath the monitor? Will that still make the aircraft flyable (I'd have to sit lower).

I saw someone just made his own yoke, but that's beyond my skills I think....

Ideas?
Just mount it underneath the panel, it's only 70mm. If you think about it some aircraft are fitted with a floor mounted yoke that sits at waist level  or lower. It wouldn't take long to get used to the lower position.
I did that myself just cut two panels of mdf or plywood and shove the yoke between them. Make some strips just a bit wider than the yoke and put one at each end and one in the middle. You can even fit a thin panel over the yoke stem so it appears to be fixed inside the structure, just cut a slot in the strip to hide the big housing.
I used the same strip to mount the switches and flap lever etc.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

FSAddon_boss

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated by this b....y amateur.
John, I did think about that, but am afraid to open the thing up. What if it explodes (there must be springs inside) and I cannot put it back together again ?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Joe, that might be the easiest solution indeed. Will just need to experiment with a dummy setup I guess....
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Joe Lavery

This is how I did it Francois.

The panel in mine is slightly angled but it could be vertical if you want to make it easier..  8)

I'll send you a PM shortly.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

FSAddon_boss

Oh that's cool Joe ! Thank you for the idea !!!
Best regards,
Francois
retired

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate