Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
53 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Promising Flight Control Dampening....

Started by RayS, November 18, 2021, 09:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

For years I have searched for a good flight control dampening solution to take the 'bounce' and 'freeplay' out of the flight control system.

I think I found it.

There's a company called Airpot (Airpot.com) that offers pneumatic dampeners in various shapes and sizes.

I ordered a sample and although it is small, it is promising.

I've tried numerous solutions, including motorcycle steering dampers (Which is the best I have seen so far) but the problems of break-force are still present.

These pneumatic dampers eliminate those issues. Zero break-force required, smooth operation if you are smooth on the controls, offering just the right amount of control forces and more resistance if you try to 'yank and bank'.

Above all, they are adjustable from "zero force" to "The controls seem to be locked". It's a painfully simple solution but the best I've seen for damping flight controls.

Check 'em out!

Ray Sotkiewicz

bernard S

this has my attention  prey tell once your done   i am thinking linked anti g system  and control loading ?

sagrada737

Ray,

I agree that these pneumatic dampers are promising...   I have been using a "self-centering" gas dampener together with dual springs, which is working quite nicely.  The springs by themselves are too "bouncy", and the gas dampener does have a slight break-away force that is able to be felt when moving the Yoke and/or Control Column.   The low friction aspect on the AirPot device might be a good alternative.

I know that with Boeing's Control Loader mechanism, it uses a Cam type device, but I found it hard to replicate.  Maybe this is a solution...

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

RayS

I'll keep everyone apprised. I spoke with their engineers last week and spec'd out what I think might work.

The custom device will run me $390, which, in retrospect, I've probably spent more than that just researching and prototyping my own contraptions that didn't work.

Ray Sotkiewicz

bernard S

I spoke as well   i love it when I tell them baby talk me through this   I am sold  on it   as I understand its kinda like poor man's control loading

MistyBlue

I heard "poor man's control loading" and my ears perked up, haha.  Interested how this works for you.

bernard S

I have the buggers paying me a visit   this is what happens when you are cooler than Elvis suppliers wanna see ;-) but it will be in new year as I have some chaps coming to help remove rig

MistyBlue

RayS

I had the thought of attaching a servo to the air valve that controls the amount of resistance according to how fast you are going. Now you've got a great control-loading system if you can pull it off.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate