Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 04:52:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
506 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 506
Total: 506

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My CNC engraving nose

Started by Wendy, July 04, 2010, 02:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendy

Hello CNC friends and cockpitbuilders,

Because engraving always took to much time, you have to do it letter per   letter and adjust the Z-axis until the letter is nicely engraved.   Because of this nightmare that is caused by panel irregularities, I   decided to design a special nose.

And now finally my engraving nose is ready and I can show it to you.   I've designed it myself but because I do not have a lathe I had a metal   workshop made the complete engraving unit.

The principle is very simple, turning the copper wheel lets you move a   metal canister up and down and by doing this the engraving depth can be   set to a few hundred mm. The small black screw can block the setting.   The Z-axis is floating free on the panel with a constant pressure of 350   gram and the white plastic nose follows the irregularities in the   panel. All this ensures a constant engraving depth all over the panel.

The first tests completed according to plan. What a luxury, whole lines   of text at once, and engraving was right from the first time. The   plastic on the nose does not scratch the panel.
  The weight of the current floating Z-axis on the panel is approximately   350 grams. The excess weight of the Kress was taken off with two   feathers.

I've included a panel which formerly had a faulty engraving. Watch all   text that is upright (newly engraved with the nose), so it's a bit of a   mess but you may well see the difference between the old engraving   (upside down) and the new engraving. This panel was a good test because   the surface had large differences (greater than 0.2 mm).

Enjoy, Wendy

jackpilot

Hi Wendy
Good to have news from U.
Amaaaaaazing stuff!! (way over my head but so what!!)

Jack

Jack

Aerosim Solutions

That's a great idea Wendy - ingenious! I have experienced a few panels with inconsistant thickness but generally the material is uniform. I made a platform for my machine with a raised section I use for engraving. I mounted this platform then use a large endmill to deck it flat, this ensures it is true to the cutting head. When using this I have become confident my panels will engrave well and I can go and do other things while the CNC is working.

Don't forget I have a lathe if you need the odd part here and there!

Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Wendy

Hi Gwyn,

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Gwyn.

Regards, Wendy

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate