Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 02:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
574 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 574
Total: 574

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Air pump/compressor for WEMAC vents?

Started by ChrisKLAS, December 13, 2010, 11:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisKLAS

Hi all,

I've just finished the install of a couple of WEMAC eyeball vents in my NG cockpit, and would like to add a bit more to the realism by using some flexible 2" water tubing and an air pump/compressor to supply airflow to the vents. I've thought of building something out of 5v PC fans, but I'm not sure those would be strong enough to force air into the narrower tube leading to the vents.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ETomlin

Hi Chris-

Im sure Shane B from our Learjet builder's group can tell you all about this. He has the real WEMAC vents and has found a suitable motor for doing just what you are asking about. As soon as he sees this thread Im sure he will chime in.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

jackpilot

Compressor or pump would be an overkill, noisy etc...

Use a bigger section tubing  which if reduced to the vent diameter will increase the flow (venturi effect) .
Dryer exhaust type is light and utterly flexible.
As for the air source use a sqirrel cage type blower. much more efficient and needs no enclosure.
You even may hook it to a small AC window unit if you want cooling in summer when all PCs and projectors are pumping out calories.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FAN-BLOWER-SMALL-12-VDC-SQUIRREL-CAGE-BRUSHLESS-/310279239834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483e15789a
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fasco-Squirrel-Cage-Fan-Blower-110-115-V-2930-RPM-USED-/170578048160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b73e74a0

PS 12V motors  allows you to switch it on /off from the overhead fan switches.

Jack

shaneb

Hey Chris,

I used this type of blower found on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NASCAR-TYPE-BRAKE-BILGE-4-BLOWER-FANS-41841-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35ae8b815eQQitemZ230561644894QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It is a bit bigger than the blower Jack posted.   I would say the blowers that Jack posted would work as well and may be a little quieter.  I do know that the bilge blowers will move an adequate amount of air but I had to wrap them in a thin piece of insulation to cut down on noise.  I have two of them mounted . . . one for each side of the cockpit so you can control each side.   I have them reduced down from 4 inch down to two inch pipe then sections of flexible tubing running to the WEMAC vents.

I tried some of the PC fans but none moved enough air.
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

ChrisKLAS

Thanks for the outstanding info, guys! Will post back when the air's a' flowin'!

Boeing Skunk Works

I used a hair dryer motor with the fan attached. I ran that into 4" flexible dryer vent hose and then down to 2" automobile pre-heater hose used for carbed engines.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

ChrisKLAS

So, finally a followup... I ended up going with the bilge fans Shane posted, narrowed from 4" PVC pipe down to 2" flexible sump tubing into the vents. Works great! The fans are a little noisy, but it's no problem since they're housed in a separate enclosed room and can't be heard from the sim room at all.

Next step will be interfacing with a FDS relay card (arriving soon) to control L/R fans with the overhead recirc fan switches.

Thanks again!

jackpilot

Quote from: ChrisKLAS on March 20, 2011, 01:30:53 PM
So, finally a followup...Next step will be interfacing with a FDS relay card (arriving soon) to control L/R fans with the overhead recirc fan switches.

Thanks again!
Those things like ventilation, ambiant lighting,  panels backlighting etc,    don't have to be interfaced with the sim itself.
Most can be wired directly to the corresponding toggle depending on voltage/amps.
If your fans are 12V and heavy draw, just use two automotive relays and appropriate toggles . Total cost way less than a card.
And the "clack" of the relays will add to reality..lol
JP

Jack

ChrisKLAS

Quote from: jackpilot on March 20, 2011, 11:57:51 PM
Those things like ventilation, ambiant lighting,  panels backlighting etc,    don't have to be interfaced with the sim itself.
Most can be wired directly to the corresponding toggle depending on voltage/amps.
If your fans are 12V and heavy draw, just use two automotive relays and appropriate toggles . Total cost way less than a card.
And the "clack" of the relays will add to reality..lol
JP

Thanks, Jack, but I already need the relay card for other applications (stick shaker, etc.) so I may as well route the fans through the PMSystems offsets for those two switches. Besides, I'd like to keep the switch functionality in FS (not necessarily sure why I'd want to do that, just do) and the toggles on the overhead are SPDT. :)

jackpilot

Juse to tease you.....so simple and offset bugs proof.

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate