Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 12:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
545 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 545
Total: 545

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

almost finished the MIP

Started by jskibo, February 05, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

Well I stayed up until 2am and almost finished the MIP, CDU and Glare. I still have a few nuts to tighten, but I got stuck on the glareshield and wing attachment.

My progress so far.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

XOrionFE

XOrionFE

XOrionFE

matta757

Wow Scott, that looks awesome! The glare cover is one part I have been thinking and thinking about how I am going to execute it, given that I don't have any supplier like FDS for a 757 glare!

Matt

Edit: Matt, would the 777 glare do????
Jack

jskibo

Man is this a fun build with my 16 month old helping :)

Peter solved one mystery for me, Steve is going to chime in when he gets home.  I have to move it to the bedroom before the rest of the kids get home (I'll be glad when the house is built and we are out of the apartment).

This FDS stuff is awesome.  Can't say enough good things about the quality and realism! 
One note, make sure you have access to the smallest metric hex wrench in the world when installing the display frames.....had to run to home depot.

Anyone have a good source for clear double-sided automotive mounting tape?

Oops, gotta go, my daughter is trying to deploy the landing gear again :)

blueskydriver

You can find double sided tape at Ace Hardware and Walmart...

This brings back memories! Doing it back a couple years ago, before Steve and PC had a chance to make up the instruction sheets, did it mostly by guessing...really. Of course, there were lots of emails to both of them, and they are always happy to help (love FDS for that).

Anyway, what can be seen in Scott's and John's pics is new refinements from FDS. There are things like the backing support of the Glareshield, the outside Glare Wing Supports (need some of those big time), the panel in the back of the CDU bay that holds the Sys Cards and Power Supplies and the way they made an MCP mount for Scott's CP stuff.

They made our CDU bay slightly narrow than the B737 actual size, in order for it and the entire MIP to fit in a B727 shell.

Did you guys get the lighting for the front edge of the Glareshield (that goes above the MCP) from FDS? Scott, in your youtube video, it can be seen. If not FDS, then where did you get it?

Keep the pics coming guys...
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

dharrison

He got it from e-bay from a Chinese supplier, I can say from seeing it in person, the lighting is spot on. They are LED strips and they look great. Scott will chime in with the link and specs I am sure.

Don

jskibo

Enough building for today......

Its interesting having a 737 cockpit 3ft from my bed.  Hope I don't fall out overnight.

Surprisingly enough, the wife seems fine with it.  Wonder if now is a good time to ask for the FDS Overhead as a present :)

NeoMorph

That FDS stuff really looks the biz... No wonder loads of peeps here are fans.
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

XOrionFE

I put a seperate post up of where I bought stuff.

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?

I am going to ask Bob and Trevor to make it Sticky and maybe take my name off it and make it a CB moderated post that everyone can put their links on.  I think this would help everyone with one place to find sources of stuff.

Scott

jskibo

saw that, Thanks Scott, great idea.

Picked up a bunch of wire (and solder) from that place.  Nice, they even called to let me know violet wire would be a few days and asked if they should ship it separate.

I was thinking of tying different parts of the panels to different dimmers, but at $76 a motor controller, guess I will rethink.

XOrionFE

Yeah, you cannot use basic dimmers for the IBL.  Too much amperage. 

jskibo

Finally!!

Now I'm down to knobs and putting together those announciators.....Then the wiring fun

This thing looks awesome,  Makes me want to go flying.

jskibo

Looks like my first officer is ready to go.

jskibo

Monitors in. Not happy with the 15" so I need to play with it more. TQ looks good by it.

jackpilot

Quote from: jskibo on February 05, 2011, 07:32:03 PM
Its interesting having a 737 cockpit 3ft from my bed.  Surprisingly enough, the wife seems fine with it. 

Do not dare to think that you are the only one!!!!  lol
Even have a 4X8 screen with Proj. and all bells and whistles going...Ha!

Jack

jskibo

Nice Jack!   :)

I'll have no room in here for that.  Just trying to build all I can so once the house is built I can start flying quickly.  In the end, I get bay 3 of the garage.....Better than nothing though.

I fired up the monitors for a quick test....

jackpilot

Looks superb, you must be so excited!
With the climate we have here, I appreciate working upstairs this winter even if it jams the BD.
My garage/sim room is huge but not attached. Ergo..!
:D

Jack

jskibo

Last for tonight.  More building this weekend, but not alot as my wife is leaving to take the Illinois Bar Exam, so I'll have four kids to manage as well :)

XOrionFE

Haha,  I feel for you John....

Anyway, looking awesome.   It is great when you finally get to fly it.    Sometimes I just have to sit in my captains chair and pinch myself.....

Scott

jskibo

.....taking a break from soldering annunciators (I suck at this).

Yep, can't wait to actually fly it.  After the CDU comes in and I order the CPFlight MCP / EFIS (Thanks for the idea Scott), I may just fly this in the bedroom.  I have a 50" Plasma at a 90 degree angle to the MIP, so I can fly looking over my right shoulder :)

Just spoke to Ali about the captain's yoke.......getting closer.  SUppose I should order some seats someday, but alas where to put them until I have my garage.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate