Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
522 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 736
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Building a platform.

Started by jackpilot, August 09, 2011, 05:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpilot

Starting to build a new platform "a la "Maurice"
Any advice, comments, remarks, tips welcome before I make  my own errors???

Using 2X6X8 for an 8x8 square .
What about nails VS screws, casters etc...
Jack

Jack

phil744

never dont it myself jack but screws would be a better option than nails, then you can dis assemble and mod if needs be :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

kondrat

Hi Jack,

Not sure how much room you have. I have not a lot so I built with 2x4 and used 2x2 angles to connect top and bottom. Also it is two part structure so I can easy  take apart in case moving to another house.

Denis

Boeing 777-200LR project
http://www.flikr.com/project777

DaveC

I guess the type and style of your base will depend on the amount of space you have for it.  Building a base with an outer "U" section for the shell, and an inner pullout area for the MIP and seats, is a huge advantage if you have the room.  I can't imagine working on a sim without getting super easy access to the back of the MIP.  I pull mine out probably 2 or 3 times each session I work on it (thanks for the idea Maurice), but then I never consider a job finished until I have done it for the 3rd time.

I like to build it strong.  2 x 8 frame with ¾" plywood deck and lots of internal support structure.  I used heavy duty casters (8 total) each rated at 1000 lbs.  I NEVER build with nails.  Horrible invention.  They come out when you don't want them to and never come out when you need them to.  Use screws only.  I also made the front of the pullout section narrower at the front.  This is harder to build but is definitely worth it.  The interior pullout completely self guides when sliding in and never binds pulling out.   My base is 8' wide by 9' long.  This allowed me some wiggle room to independently move the shell and MIP forward and aft to make sure they lined up perfectly before bolting them down.  I have a 30" add-on at the front for computers to sit on so the entire unit can be wheeled around.

I have 15' video cables connecting the computers to the MIP monitors.  I also have 15' USB cables running from each computer to powered USB hubs on the pullout base, so I can pull out the interior without disconnecting anything.  So far, no problems with the 15' USB cables.  If I have a problem in the future I can use 4' or 6' USB cables and go directly from the computers to the powered hubs and I will only have to disconnect them when pulling it out.  Two 12 socket power bars are mounted on the pullout section and one 12 socket power bar is mounted to the "U" base to plug everything in to.

Good luck.

PS.  Gary is too kind and I am deeply indebted to him for his assistance in helping me fix seats, configure computers, interface Sim-A, and a hundred other things.  I would not be where I am at with my sim without his help.

Dave C.

jackpilot

Many thanks Guys
Of course nailing is out.
I suppose 8X8 is fine as I will put the computers on a wheeled rack as Mau did.
Total access anytime.
Gary , would you be kind enough to tell where you got your cables (vid and USB) as here are so many avail including crap that does not work. Quality in this matter is a must I think.
I have room enough as I use a 2½ car Garage (I manage to squeeze 3 for winter storage!)
Jack

Jack

Garys

Thanks for the kind words Dave. Definately has been great to help out.

Jack, I bought my video cable from this canadian seller   http://stores.ebay.com/ftaelectronicsent
cables are good quality and shipping was quick. Another good company that alot of guys from work recommend is http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Gary

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate