Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 02:08:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
546 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 546
Total: 546

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 FDS Overhead taking shape

Started by Maurice, August 24, 2011, 02:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

Lots of work to assemble but the LED annunciators' wiring took me only one day to finish. Using a tool to add the connectors instead of soldering wires is the only way to go.

Wiring the switches took quite a bit longer because of all the solder connections at the switches, but still, not nearly as bad as I had imagined.

The interface IT SYS board made all the offset assignments a real snap. I still have to add the IBL connections but these are really easy to do.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

727737Nut

Very nice!  Is that an FDS OH frame i presume?  If you p/u a real APU egt gauge let me know and I can help you interface it.

Rob
737 Junkie

jetpilot

Nice job Maurice.
I see you have a real cabin diff press gauge. What is your plan about it?

Maurice

:D
Quote from: 727737Nut on August 24, 2011, 02:59:23 AM
Very nice!  Is that an FDS OH frame i presume?  If you p/u a real APU egt gauge let me know and I can help you interface it.

Rob

No, it's a home made temporary job to assemble the overhead. I have the FDS mounting kit which works with the FDS shell.

Maurice

Maurice

Quote from: jetpilot on August 24, 2011, 03:09:20 AM
Nice job Maurice.
I see you have a real cabin diff press gauge. What is your plan about it?

No plan for it at all. Jack had an extra gauge which he was kind enough to give me. Just looks better than a fake gauge. Of course, I could always install an air pump to pressurize the shell after sealing all the openings of course  ;D

Maurice

XOrionFE

Looks great Maurice.    What did you use for the Outflow valve guage?  My FDS overhead didnt come with a dummy so I need to fill that hole and was going to use a real one.

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 24, 2011, 06:07:05 AM
Looks great Maurice.    What did you use for the Outflow valve guage?  My FDS overhead didnt come with a dummy so I need to fill that hole and was going to use a real one.

Scott

My overhead came with a dummy gauge so they might have missed packing it. Steve can probably confirm.

I think Trev has a real one which he is not using so you may want to contact him, but I really don't see the point of having a real gauge here. It is so small as to be barely visible anyway

Maurice

jackpilot

Great work Mau.
You are now the living proof that assembling and wiring an Overhead can be done in no time at all!
Great inspiration for some of us.
Jack

Jack

dharrison

Maurice,

Really looking great here! Nice to see it all lit up I bet.

Don

Maurice

Quote from: dharrison on August 24, 2011, 07:41:27 AM
Maurice,

Really looking great here! Nice to see it all lit up I bet.

Don

For sure. And even nicer to be able to start the engines and see all the lights do their thing including some of the blue ones that start bright and then go dim. Very neat indeed.

Maurice

XOrionFE

Oh boy...Don is going to kill me if I dont get going on getting the overhead done

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 24, 2011, 08:46:51 AM
Oh boy...Don is going to kill me if I dont get going on getting the overhead done

I feel for you. Don't forget I am retired and I don't have 3 little ones running around me and wanting my attention. Frankly, I am amazed you got that far already with your simulator.

But as far as the overhead is concerned, I don't know if you got the tool to add the connectors, but if you don't, make sure you get it & don't even start without it. Without it, I would be weeks away from finishing.

Maurice

XOrionFE

I've got that tool Maurice.  What did you do?  Just pull the existing shorther wires off the connectors and put your longer ones on?

What is the green wiring for on the LEDs?

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 24, 2011, 04:04:39 PM
I've got that tool Maurice.  What did you do?  Just pull the existing shorther wires off the connectors and put your longer ones on?

What is the green wiring for on the LEDs?

Scott

Not exactly. When I got the overhead, Peter asked me if I was going to get the tool and since I was, I just got the connectors without the wires. I guess you can exchange them or pull the short wires off (I would exchange them if I were you)

The 10 pin connectors to the sys board has 4 white, 4 green wires and a black on pin 1 (ground). The different colours are just to make it easier to identify and wire.

Did you get a sheet named Legend from Steve? It shows the colour scheme.

When you start the job, you may want to phone me as I can give you some good hints to make the job very easy now that I gained experience after pestering Steve  :).

Maurice

XOrionFE

Thanks Maurice

Yes, starting it.   Send me an email with your number and the best time to call.   Would love to hear your pointers.

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: XOrionFE on August 24, 2011, 04:59:52 PM
Thanks Maurice

Yes, starting it.   Send me an email with your number and the best time to call.   Would love to hear your pointers.

Scott

On its way.

Maurice

dharrison

I'm not going to kill anybody! :camp:  I am just happy we finally got some flights in with full VNAV (for the most part) working. It was a real treat into LAX on the RIIVR3.

Don

NeoMorph

You do realise that you have released the "Curse Of The Wires" don't you. Five minutes after you leave them alone they will tie themselves into knots it takes a master scout or a sailor to even begin to understand.

:huh:
John AKA NeoMorph... Gamer, Simmer, AnythingToGetOutOfNormalLife...er

Project: ATR 72-500, Ruscool panels, OpenCockpits Electronics.
Currently Doing: Awaiting coloured acrylic for colouring rear lighting and working on final versions of overhead panel fixtures (Yay, finally!)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate