Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
466 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 475
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

2 computer set up - which programs on which PC ?

Started by willow, October 16, 2011, 12:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow

Greetings!

I need some advice to assist in clarifying my thoughts - which are confused on this matter.

I have two computers networked.  One PC will have FSX and the other PC will have Sim Avionics.  The first PC is the FSX machine and has one video card with 2 outputs (external displays or projector).  The 2nd PC which has Sim A installed, has 3 video cards with 6 outputs, will power the monitors and CDU of my Flight Deck Solutions MIP. 

With regard to other programs, such as: Ultimate Traffic 2, Active Sky Evolution & Aviasoft Electronic Flight Bag.   

Should these programs go on the same PC as FSX, or on the other computer running Sim Avionics?

Guidance appreciated.  Thank you,  WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

jonesthesoftware

HI
Personally I prefer the fastest machine to run the outside display as this has the heaviest workload for the processor and graphics cards particularly at airports and with active sky and ultimate traffic. The other PC should be the master FSX running the multiple  monitors for the MIP FMC etc. As the graphics don't change so much for these screens it's a lighter load.
just an opinion
regards
geoff
Building a 767 cockpit

willow

Quote from: jonesthesoftware on October 16, 2011, 07:35:44 AM
HI
Personally I prefer the fastest machine to run the outside display as this has the heaviest workload for the processor and graphics cards particularly at airports and with active sky and ultimate traffic. The other PC should be the master FSX running the multiple  monitors for the MIP FMC etc. As the graphics don't change so much for these screens it's a lighter load.
just an opinion
regards
geoff

Hi Geoff:

First, thank you very much for your reply.

I agree that the PC that has FSX installed should be the faster & more capable PC (it is).  But, wouldn't it be better to install the add on programs such as electronic flight bag (Aviasoft) and Active Sky Evolution (weather) on the other PC running Sim A. - this would then allow the FSX PC to run with greater CPU power and RAM.

I must be missing something here.  Advice appreciated.  Cheers,   WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

hexpope

Hi Willow, well the EFB software would be a good idea on the slave machine. I know the ASE can be networked with FSX if you have the Deluxe edition (states so on their website) As in CPU usage regarding that software, I think it does have an impact if you select a certain option in it. To be honest. You should try it out on both machines and see what works for you.

XOrionFE

ASE directly on the FSX computer will kill it.  It will also affect the sim- a PC at times and I would recommend putting it on a 3rd PC.   Another good use for the 3rd PC is to run radar contact or sqwak box for act using it's sound card to hand headsets and mics.   ASE and Sqwak Box both can be run off a networked PC.

my setup uses 3 pcs and I think this is really a minumum for decent performance.  my FSX PC is an i7 960 while the sim-a box is an i7 920.  They are both over clocked with excellent coolers.  The 3rd PC running ASE and sqwak box is an older amd x2 dual core.

Scott

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate