Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
718 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 724
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 718
Total: 718

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Master card & Display card connectivity problem

Started by egkkman, October 19, 2011, 09:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egkkman

Hello,

I have an Opencockpits master card connected to a USB expansion card. It has a tested 5V supply.

When I connect a display card I get inputs 001 & 002 showing up in controlador.exe without any seven segment displays connected. If I move the display card to the adjacent 40 pin connector I get inputs 37 & 38 shownig up.

The same thing happens if I use a different ribbon cable and/or display card.

I am concluding that both display cards have a problem but it seems unlikely they would both have the same problem unless it is a batch issue.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I have posted at Opencockpits too.

Thanks in advance.

My regards

Dave

fordgt40

egkkman

Hi,

As mentioned this issue was solved in another forum, I just thought I would say how, in case anyone else makes the same mistake as me.

Opencockpits say that four display cards can be connected to a master card. This is true, however I interpreted the manual as meaning one card per 40 pin header on the master, this is not correct. To connect four cards they should be connected as a 'string' on a 40 wire ribbon cable on the J1 header only.

As an aside, computer IDE cables and plugs are not suitable for use with the Opencockpit cards. The cable must be 40 wire, computer cables are 80 wire and are connected in such a way that they will not work. Buy some 40 wire ribbon cable, 40 pin IDE connectors and make your own leads.

My regards

Dave

Bob Reed

Quote from: egkkman on October 19, 2011, 10:15:01 PM
Hi,

As mentioned this issue was solved in another forum, I just thought I would say how, in case anyone else makes the same mistake as me.

Opencockpits say that four display cards can be connected to a master card. This is true, however I interpreted the manual as meaning one card per 40 pin header on the master, this is not correct. To connect four cards they should be connected as a 'string' on a 40 wire ribbon cable on the J1 header only.

As an aside, computer IDE cables and plugs are not suitable for use with the Opencockpit cards. The cable must be 40 wire, computer cables are 80 wire and are connected in such a way that they will not work. Buy some 40 wire ribbon cable, 40 pin IDE connectors and make your own leads.

My regards

Dave

Not 100% true. The old 40 pin IDE cables are just straight through cables and work fine.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate