Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
107 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 107
Total: 108

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Lear 45 build

Started by shaneb, October 18, 2009, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneb

Hey guys and gals,

I posted this over at Hangar 45 but thought this tutorial could be useful if anyone was building control columns using PVC pipe. Nothing high tech . . just ordinary tools you may already have.

I completed the side access door for the control column. This is used if you decide to use a design  using pulleys to interconnect your yokes. I used 1/8 inch plexi to make my door . . you could use other material such as thin metal sheeting as well, but I wanted a door that held its contour to the column.

I started by making a paper template that would cover the hole cut in the column.  I also placed marks where I wanted to drill holes for the screws that will hold the door in place.

After making the template, I transfered the template to the plexi, cut to size on the table saw and drilled the holes for the screws.

Once the holes were drilled, I taped the door to a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe so I could bend to shape. I used a heat gun and some gloves to complete the next step.  I heated the plexi to a point that it would mould to the shape of the pipe.  Using welding gloves to protect from the heat, I pushed down on the plexi starting in the middle then pushing both sides down over the sides of the pvc pipe.  It took several attempts to get it to the shape desired.

Here it is after bending and allowing it to cool

I then taped the door in place on my control column and drilled the holes for the screws. I did this prior to painting so I could see how close the holes would be to the side of the access opening and to make sure I had it aligned properly over the access hole.

I then sanded the door prior to painting

Painted green . . .  apple green or pistachio  very close to the same color

Front of the door painted black . .

Door installed . .

Just one way to make an access door for the columns . . hope it helps
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

shaneb

I've finished a few small tasks that were preventing me from moving forward with the project . . since my last update I have welded two mounting brackets to attach the rudder and pitch axis slide pots to the shell floor. I have also drilled two holes in the lower part of the control columns to eventually accept wiring for the yokes and I've mounted the control column assembly in the shell . . hopefully for the last time . . we will see.

As a side note, I am capturing about 85% of the travel on the rudder slide pot and 100% on the pitch axis . . in fact I had to do some adjustment so I didn't capture all of the pitch travel . . probably getting about 90 to 95%. I was concerned about  bending the rod attached to the pot.

Here are a few photos of the pot brackets . .

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

DarrylH

shaneb

Got a couple of chart holders from Rand (Emesis)  for the Lear yokes . . these are going to work really good and add a little more to the L45 sim.

and with the chart light on . . .

jackpilot

Quote from: shaneb on September 09, 2010, 03:55:52 PM
. . since my last update I have welded two mounting brackets to attach the rudder and pitch axis slide pots to the shell floor.
. Here are a few photos of the pot brackets . .

Very good design Shane!! (pretty sure Maurice will consider the idea fr his yokes linkage  ;) )

Jack

shaneb

Thanks Jack,

I hope to be able to test the pitch of the columns soon.  I was able to connect the pot to  test the roll when I had the columns out of the shell but not the pitch.  I plan on buying several used computers to later run the avionics packages, but will use one of them temporarily with FS9 loaded to test flight controls since it takes far less to run FS9.   Later I will add a new computer to run FSX. 

Joe Lavery

Shane, without wishing to hijack your thread can you tell me where you got your link rods, (I think here they call them "Clevis arms") in fact what they're called will allow me to Google for a supplier here in the UK.  ::)

I'm talking about the thin metal rods with a brass coupling and what appears to be a plastic ball joint at the end, shown roughly in the centre of image 2, posted on September 09, 2010, 07:55:52 PM.

Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

shaneb

Hi Joe,

You should be able to find these parts at an R/C aircraft supplier.   I found these at Tower Hobbies (they also have a website) I have provided a link below to the parts.  Hopefully this will help you find the parts in the UK.   

link for the ball links.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=GPMQ3842

link for the metal rods

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=GPMQ3750&search=Go

You may also need a nylon clevis to attach to a slide pot . . here is the link

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK080&P=7

Hope this helps.

Joe Lavery

Brilliant Shane,  :) That's exactly what I needed, isn't it a pain when you know what you want but don't know what it's called, or where to get it from  ;)

As usual one of you guys can provide the answer.

Thanks again,
Regards
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

shaneb

I know exactly what you mean . . I know what I want, I just don't know what it is called.  I've spent many evenings on the Internet searching for parts, not knowing what their correct name is!      :idiot:

shaneb

Hello all,

An update to my Lear 45 build . . I finished the rudder covers and installed them this evening along with the aluminum plates to the raised floor section around the rudder pedals.  I also finalized my yoke/column setup.  Here are a few photos with the TQ and center pedestal installed along with one seat to test fit everything.

MLeavy737

Looks Great Shane!! Really coming together!

Mike Leavy
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

autocadplease

Top notch stuff, Shane!
Grant D.
Nelson, B.C.
FSX PM Boeing TH2Go

ETomlin

Yep, Shane's project is certainly top-shelf.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Maurice

Very nice Shane, even for a toy airplane  :laugh:

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

shaneb

Thanks Maurice . . the toy airplane   ;D   is now using some of your design input.  I switched my column system over to a design using  air shocks and it works very well.  Thanks for the photos and input! 

XOrionFE

Looks awesome Shane.  I really like the yokes.  Looks very realistic.   What strut did you end up going with?  Pictures please....

Scott

Maurice

Quote from: shaneb on October 12, 2010, 04:09:07 PM
Thanks Maurice . . the toy airplane   ;D   is now using some of your design input.  I switched my column system over to a design using  air shocks and it works very well.  Thanks for the photos and input!

Glad I could help. But just curious...did you order the gas springs from McMaster-Carr?

Maurice

shaneb

Maurice . . . do you really want to know?   Well . .yes I did . . I had to sign a form stating that I would not ship any air shocks to you or any of my Canadian brothers . . they think you may be trying to build a satellite launcher with the springs to spy on the U.S.       ;D    :idiot:     

Maurice

Quote from: shaneb on October 12, 2010, 06:17:37 PM
Maurice . . . do you really want to know?   Well . .yes I did . . I had to sign a form stating that I would not ship any air shocks to you or any of my Canadian brothers . . they think you may be trying to build a satellite launcher with the springs to spy on the U.S.       ;D    :idiot:     

Spy on the U.S.?????? Why on earth would we ever want to do that? We have enough morons right here in this country, so why try to observe other specimen in the US? Besides, all we really need to do is watch the elections coverage in the US for a very good laugh at various moronic US politicians every day thanks to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Steven Colbert report.

Maurice
ps The political opinion expressed in this post is totally personal & in no way reflects the opinion of management, nor is it condoned or encouraged by management....blah, blah, blah

shaneb

ahhh . . . hard to believe we don't have a monopoly on morons in the states?   Oh, and don't get me started on politicians . .  put them all in a bag . . shake it up . . they all come out the same, you can't tell a difference in them .  . the summary of my political opinion!     ;D

Maurice

Quote from: shaneb on October 12, 2010, 06:58:30 PM
ahhh . . . hard to believe we don't have a monopoly on morons in the states?   Oh, and don't get me started on politicians . .  put them all in a bag . . shake it up . . they all come out the same, you can't tell a difference in them .  . the summary of my political opinion!     ;D

Pretty much the same here North of your border. Something about politics that transforms even decent people into blabbering idiots with questionable moral ethics :)

Maurice

Boeing Skunk Works

Very nice Shane. Looks like it rolled right out of Bombardier.
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on October 13, 2010, 04:17:10 AM
Very nice Shane. Looks like it rolled right out of Bombardier.

Ditto....

Jack

shaneb

Thanks guys . . A lot of small details to take care of now as most of the large components are finished.  Now comes the fun part . . wiring all the panels up and getting speakers installed.  Getting closer . .     :laugh:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate