Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
461 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 461
Total: 461

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

*A lot* Of Pre-Build Questions

Started by WNCaptain, January 13, 2012, 08:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCaptain

Hey guys,
   In the near future I plan to start a 737 build. However, I have many questions.

-Will an 8ft*8ft platform made by 2*4's and plywood on the top(where one would stand) with some of that colorful carpet you usually find in schools and businesses work with the FDS 737 shell?

-Planning on buying the FDS MIP, CDU, OVHD, and Pedestal. With the overhead, I'm planning on having them put most of it together and backlit out of the box so I would just have to tweak a few things and mount it. Is that feasible?

-I don't have  much of a technical background, but I think this is how it works:
Everything plugs into an FDS InterfaceIT card, and the FDS InterfaceIT card has two outputs, one going to a power supply and one USB which plugs into the computer. The powersupply then is plugged into an outlet. The monitors for the electronic instruments plug directly into the computers. Correct this if I'm wrong, which I'm sure I am. The closest thing I've done to doing this is installing a radio in a 1990 Ford Bronco!

-How much is this going to effect my electricity bill? I won't be flying anymore than 8 hours per week.

-Where do you place the speakers so they're out of site of the pilot?

Thank you guys so much. I'm excited to begin building my project.

Cody

jackpilot

Cody
The best place to get your specific info is FDS.
Check their  site and  forums.
Plug and Play is more an image than a reality in Sim Building.
You need a basic understanding of what does what and how they relate, this is why reading forums content is a good way to get most answers to your questions.
As for your plateform, it should be built with 2X6" minimum . Casters, depending how many, should be super heavy duty.Carpeting is probably the least important and non urgent item.
Check that you will have ceiling clearance for the projectors if any.
The FDS shell is 6 feet high.
Jack

Jack

727737Nut

8' by 8' is plenty big.  It actually only needs to be 50" wide in the front if I remember correctly from when I had my FDS shell.  Jack was right.  2x6" min preferably 2x8" if you have the height room. 

As for cost of electricity, in my area it is .06 per KW. I put a wattmeter on my sim and with 2 pj's, 4 PC's, numerous power supplies and other stuff, I was average about 15.00 a month for a whole lot of flying.

Hope that helps.

Rob
737 Junkie

XOrionFE

I was about to say that if worried about the electric bill in all of this craziness then this is probably the wrong hobby to get into.  THat is probably the cheapest part!

Happy to help in any way i can so long as questions are more specific but as Jack said, do a lot of reading up and research first as this is far from a plug and play hobby and there is a learning curve to all of it.    I would also say some good computer knowledge is a must.

Scott

jetpilot

My FDS shell is not attached to any base yet so measurements can variate slightly once I mount it on the platform.
However, as a reference, when planning your base:
FDS shell:
67" wide in front
96" wide Aft
84" Long
69.5" high at the aft.
I hope it helps

Roberto

WNCaptain

Thank you guys :)

I'll be contacting FDS to set up some options and things. Luckily, I have a friend who works with the FAA and has plenty of technical knowledge relating to electricity and is willing to help and I know a computer inside and out.  I'm not exactly worried about the electricity bill, just a bit curious :)

Thank you guys. I'll get some 2x8's or 2x6's in the near future and begin to construct the platform. It's just going to be a small wooden platform so it wouldn't be sitting directly on the floor. Looks better that way :)

Thank you all!
Cody

blueskydriver

Recommend you visit someone with a FDS shell. You'll pickup a lot of tips first hand...

BSD
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Flying_Fox

Hi Cody,

What type of screen you are going to use? If you go for a curved screen it's more convenient to build the screen and projector system before you build the platform and shell.

Just my 2c CDN :)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate