Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 11:18:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
518 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 Yokes - linked or not?

Started by XOrionFE, February 15, 2012, 04:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XOrionFE

As we were talking about Maurice's projector setup the point was made about centering the view for the captains side so as to eliminate crab effect.   This means the FO side will have really exaggerated crab effect and the sim would really be best flown from captains side.    This begs another question...

If setting up the sim to really be flown from the captains side with the views then does it make sense to desire linked yokes or is this really not even necessary?  I have my yokes linked but will soon be incorporating a real TQ and converting it for the sim like Rob has done.  This is going to creat a problem because my crossover tube for the yokes will be in the way.  I have to reengineer my yoke setup to account for the TQ and have thought of going to a non-linked setup to make it simpler.

If the captain side is being setup to be the real flying position then I assume this won't matter much anyway to have them linked.   I have never tried dual yokes in fsuipc so I am not sure how well it works.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Scott

dharrison

Scott,

Knowing how we use your sim I think you miss out not having the linked yokes. Especially when we start putting people in the aircraft that don't really know how to fly well. Gives the opportunity to coorec inputs like an instructor. I know it's alot more work, but I'm happy to help you get it set up. Just let me know when you want help and I will head on over.

I think in the end you loose some emersion if you don't have them linked.

Don

XOrionFE

I agree it is nice to have them Don.  Just tough trying to figure out how.  On vaca in Florida this week and in California the following but will touch base when I get back and we can have a re-engineering night.  CP also agrees that linked is better and I will lose something if I don't keep them linked.   

Scott

firstinflight

First and foremost, you aren't supposed to be thinking about this while on vacation. Enjoy the water and sun.... :-)

Second, Its something I can preach, not sure if I can practice it... :-)

CPJ
www.simulationresearch.net
FSX, Jetstream 737, Prosim737, Engravity CDUs, CPFlight, Active Sky 2012, Ground Environment, AI Traffic, UT Europe, PilotEdge, NThusim, Aerosoft Airports, Dreamteam airports

firstinflight

Now for the response -
I had a single yoke for a long time. Then I had dual yokes - unlinked.
But after you experience dual linked yokes, it's hard to go back to having unlinked yokes.
In my opinion, it would diminish the experience.

As for FSUIPC, dual inputs for the same axis are handled okay. The most recent input is used. And it works pretty well.

As for the crab effect, on FS9, it is not pronounced at all. But in setting up FSX last week, I do notice it's significantly higher.

CPJ

FSX, Jetstream 737, Prosim737, Engravity CDUs, CPFlight, Active Sky 2012, Ground Environment, AI Traffic, UT Europe, PilotEdge, NThusim, Aerosoft Airports, Dreamteam airports

blueskydriver

Scott and Don,

You guys need to come visit our sim, it has dual linked yokes and pedals, and the most appealing thing is how it was made by the place that built it (Mankato, MN Old Northwest Trainer).

Our sim visuals is set for the center of the widescreen and have been flying it that way all along, so don't notice it much, like Maurice says, we got use too it. However, like I posted in his thread, that if we could somehow assign camera positions views to keys, then when the FO takes over, just hit a key (could be a button assigned through FSUIPC), and then when Captain takes back over you just press the button to send it back. It would not be that unsettling to have the camera views like that, if was only brief moments and for switch over. Heck, you could even say "You have the aircraft and respond I have the aircraft"; thus, meaning you'll pay less attention the switch and more to saying who has the aircraft (like real pilots do).

Finally, with having dual linked yokes and pedals, I would not change it for the world. So, if you can work it out around your Throttle Assy, you should do that...

Oh enjoy the sun and fun, as Chicago is getting rain/snow right now; well, that is what it is visually showing for real weather in the sim and we just landed 5 mins ago, and now parked at gate C6. So, you're not missing anything back home...uh, maybe your sim by the sounds of it...lol.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :idiot:
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: firstinflight on February 15, 2012, 06:09:31 PM

As for FSUIPC, dual inputs for the same axis are handled okay. The most recent input is used. And it works pretty well.

CPJ

Ideally with linked yokes & elevators, you should be using the same potentiometer for both yokes and the same potentiometer for both elevators and therefore there is never any conflict. This is how mine is set up.

But as far as Scott's question is concerned, I do agree that it seems weird to bother with linked yokes/elevators if one only flies from the captain's side. The only real reason is purely 'cosmetic'...it just looks better  :). Knowing what I know now, I personnally would not bother with linked controls if I were to start over again. I really don't believe anymore that it is worth the aggravation, but that's just me  :)

By the way, having linked elevators was very easy to do but linked yokes was much more complex.

Maurice

Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

firstinflight

I am curious as to how one can have unlinked yokes and have them work of one potentiometer?

In the simplest case, it could be 2 individual CH product yokes providing the elevator input. In a better case, it could be two home engineered yokes operating of two potentiometers. The minute you make them operate of one potentiometer, haven't you linked the two yokes in some way?

And maybe I am missing the point - what does linked yokes mean if the elevators are not linked?

CPJ

Maurice

Quote from: firstinflight on February 15, 2012, 06:52:13 PM
I am curious as to how one can have unlinked yokes and have them work of one potentiometer?

In the simplest case, it could be 2 individual CH product yokes providing the elevator input. In a better case, it could be two home engineered yokes operating of two potentiometers. The minute you make them operate of one potentiometer, haven't you linked the two yokes in some way?

And maybe I am missing the point - what does linked yokes mean if the elevators are not linked?

CPJ

I believe you misunderstood me. I do have linked yokes working with one potentiometer. I also have linked elevators working with one potentiometer.

You can easily have linked elevators without linked yokes. In that case, each yoke would need its own pot but the elevators would still need only one pot.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

Jack

firstinflight

Quote from: maurice on February 15, 2012, 07:07:42 PM

I believe you misunderstood me. I do have linked yokes working with one potentiometer. I also have linked elevators working with one potentiometer.

You can easily have linked elevators without linked yokes. In that case, each yoke would need its own pot but the elevators would still need only one pot.

Maurice

Got it!

Kennair

Funny you should raise this Scott as I'm considering that very setup.  Since moving to a new house I have a smaller room allocated for the sim however that aside I was seriously considering going "One Sided" anyway for the reasons already pointed out.  Most of my flying is solo and I am going to use 50" plasma's for outside view.  I believe the crab effect will be greater with these monitors rather than projectors.  Our commercial sim uses projectors but with a 10m screen set 2.5m from your eyes the crab effect is greatly reduced.  I don't however have the real estate at home to recreate this setup.  I have already purchased a single set of rudder pedals from Gwyn and am working on a single control column assembly to achieve my aim.  I must say I was encouraged to go down this road after seeing FDS's FlightMax product line specifically designed for single seat operation.  I still intend having FO flight display screens and a full width panel however.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate