Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 01:54:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
518 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 538
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737NG TQ - Product of Choice?

Started by sagrada737, December 07, 2012, 03:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I still haven't yet decided if I will undertake building my own 737NG Throttle Quadrant for my sim project.  The challenge looks tempting, as it is the kind of intricate mechanism I enjoy building.

That said, in reviewing the full scope and magnitude of building a 737NG home cockpit, I need to balance out the number of sub-systems that I will purchase vs. building myself if I want to meet my goal of completing my sim project in less than two years. 

In that regard, I have been reviewing 737NG TQ choices among those available.  From the price/performance viewpoint, it seems that the  FSC 737NG-Motorized-TQ might be a good choice at 2,500 euros.

http://www.flightsimulatorcenter.com/Product.aspx?lang=ENG&ID=874a2737-1ce7-4c64-a8aa-bccb4b2bd768&CODE=910005

Another possibility that seems good is the Jetstream Motorized 737TQ at 2,300 euros.

http://www.revolution-jetstream.com/Platinum_Line_Throttle.html

Other than what I mentioned above, can you folks provide some feedback on a reliable motorized 737NG TQ in the $4K or less range?  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

If you want to complete within 2 years I wouldnt build anything.   By everything you can from FDS.  It is still going to take plenty of time to put it all together and in addition my advice is to order as much as you can right away as it takes time to make all this stuff and get it shipped to you.  Some parts my be stock while others may take time as there are typically waiting lists.    This is definitely not a hobby were everything can be overnighted.....

Again, go with a turnkey system unless you like the building aspect and dont mind it taking 3-5 years.   I also know some of the folks here have built their own TQs and that alone could take 6 months to a year.   

As for the TQ, if you want the most realism then buy a real TQ and modify it for the sim.  It is a very rewarding project and fits nicely right between building your own and buying a premade replica but in the end it will be much more durable and you will know the inner workings and how to fix things when they break.

My .02

Scott

sagrada737

Thanks for the feedback Scott.  I'll take it to heart.

The 737TQ is an interesting challenge - whether refurbishing a real one (if you can find one that's not too outdated and/or trashed), or building one from scratch.  Either way, that route is a big project all on its own.

That's why I wanted to consider buying a TQ from either Flight Simulator Center or Revolution for a motorized TQ.

The other thing I have to consider is just how detailed and physically real I want my 737NG simulator to be vs. some lesser level of simulated operational capability.  I know tht some guys go for broke, and want everything as real as possible - down to the very last detail.  All this is highly subjective, but for me, I am planning to implement a compromise - so not everything will be exactly like the real 737NG cockpit. 

Still...  I think I can achieve a nice result.  Perhaps that is why I think the visual and operational immersion is very important, with the glass cockpit and outside display going a long way to accomplish that component of the "intellectual immersion" that makes one feel like they are operating a 737NG.

Anyway, I concur that it makes sense for me to buy as much as practical to achieve my 737NG sim goals and timeframe.  I also believe it's important to buy from as few reliable vendors as possible.  I'm also looking forward to building many aspects of the simulator, like the cockpit shell, platform, etc.  As I settle into this project, I expect to establish a more refined understanding of how I will get to a finished result.  The feedback and comments on this Forum is invaluable.

Still appreciate are feedback on ready-made 737NG TQs.  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

XOrionFE

Now all you gotta do is fly out to Chicago some weekend!

Scott

jackpilot

Speaking of compromise, here is one:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4135

Everyone here know that I do not like the old 737 clunker TQ  :laugh:

So, there you are, took me a few months...
but I have what all real 73 should have !!
(Just jokin')
:D

Jack

Jack

sagrada737

No compromise on your TQ Jack - a real work of art!  You indeed are a craftsman to have made all those parts by hand.  The clutch mechanism is nicely done.  Congratulations on a fine job! 

Question:  How does it function in practice with your sim?  Do you have an interface/wiring diagram you would be willing to share?  Thanks.

Mike

tennyson

That is the finest home built TQ I've ever seen, apart from Gwyn Perret's masterpiece!

Two of the finest examples of excellent engineering.

Frank Cooper

jackpilot

Thank you Frank.

Quote from: sagrada737 on December 07, 2012, 12:53:56 PM
  How does it function in practice with your sim?  Do you have an interface/wiring diagram you would be willing to share?  Thanks.
Mike

I use 10cm Phidget slider pots (no gear, just a rod, )
Moving power levers with one hand (of course :D) Engines are always in sync within max 1%.
Interfaced with an FC1 card from FDS using FSUIPC.
I posted here a tutorial on calibrating all axis including flaps if you ever need it)

Jack
PS Flaps gate was made by Gwyn! (went around the world!)

Jack

jskibo

I have an early Gen of the rev sim throttle.  Back before the prices shot up.  I like it and it seems to function well.  Shipping and waiting for it to be built was the tough part.  Think I paid 400 euro to ship a then 1200 euro throttle.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

sagrada737

Thanks everyone for the comments and input on the 737NG Throttle Quadrant - much appreciated.  Over the next month or so, I will sort out my strategy for this system, as to whether to build or buy. 

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate