Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 07:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
570 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 560
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 570
Total: 570

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737NG Sim - Monitor of Choice?

Started by sagrada737, December 22, 2012, 09:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

I took delivery of my FSX and Sim-Avionics computers.  Now I'm about ready to decide on what type of monitors to use for the MIP.

Questions: 
- Considering the Pilot and Co-Pilot, and central LCD Displays, what type of monitors (make, model, size, and aspect ratio) you are using successfully for your 737NG sim platform? 
- Any critical fit or mechanical interference issues within the MIP when fitting the monitors?  Bezel interference issues?

Feedback appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Flying_Fox

Hi Mike,

I use two Acer P185H  widescreen monitors (18.5"  1366 x768) and old Dell 153EP  (15", non-widescreen 1024x768 , found on Ebay) monitor for EICAS screen (picked it on Ebay). Such 15" monitors are rare now. I would prefer 18.5" inch screens because the space behind MIP  is tight. You don't need 19" monitor.  Monitors often are stripped out of plastic cases because of lack of space. The bezels must be removed from the monitors so they are flush with MIP panels. I actually left the plastic back covers on my monitors, however I cut the cover sides to fit. For lower EICAS screen I bought 10.4' 800x600 monitor panel (no case included).

You will need also to cut off the bezel piece with monitor controls and extend the wires to install it somewhere in the convenient place to use (under the MIP for example)

Nick

sagrada737

Hi  Nick,

Thanks for the info on monitor placement.   A picture is worth a thousand words...

I am beginning to understand how tight the fit will be using standard LCD monitors.  It happens that I have two 15" 5:4 LCD monitors that may come in handy.  It looks like I will need the 18" LCD monitors to achieve the fit you described for the PFDs.  I plan on using FDS's MIP package to save some time in construction, so that may offer some additional constraints. 

In any case, it looks like I will have to remove the bezels on all monitors for installation.  I hope to get additional feedback from other builders to help me gain a better perspective on this MIP monitor issue.  My Sim-A computer video setup allows up to 8 monitors on an extended display, so I have some flexibility.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

jskibo

FDS also sells the lower EICAS screen kit that fits perfect.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

nicd

Bit of a general idea here (not going to help you Mike seeing as you've already got PCs) ... has anyone considered a completely different approach to MIP displays?

Think ... no desktop PCs, no video cables, no ethernet cables and no issues fitting all the screens in behind the MIP. 

Stumped?  :)  Now imagine 1 windows tablet PC (10" screen. wireless) behind each MIP hole. That's 6 in total - including both EICAS.

It works too. Been testing this config (in part) for a few weeks and it works a charm.

Total cost may be an issue for some, but I've got a few sub $300 windows 10" tablets from aliexpress that do the job well. Might be more economical for folks not using SimAvionics, but worth a thought.

sagrada737

Hello Nic,

Thanks for the comments.   I think that your idea (sounds like you have actually prototyped it) has merit for certain sim strategies.  As you pointed out, I am using Sim-Avioics.  But I still need five monitors for my MIP.  I like the idea of having a "clean" monitor installation, without having a bulky monitors that are largely unused behind the MIP.

Industrial monitors for commercial are certainly another way to go, albeit fairly expensive.  I found a link to a site that offers LCD kits.  Check out www.earthlcd.com   Here is their 12" LCD kit for $140 :

http://store.earthlcd.com/XLK-12-1-VGA?sc=7&category=8

Mike

sagrada737

Is anyone using the ACER 18.5" LCD monitor for their MIP?  Does this monitor fit in the FDS MIP?

Feedback appreciated.

Mike

Maurice

Quote from: nicd on December 22, 2012, 09:07:58 PM
Bit of a general idea here (not going to help you Mike seeing as you've already got PCs) ... has anyone considered a completely different approach to MIP displays?

Think ... no desktop PCs, no video cables, no ethernet cables and no issues fitting all the screens in behind the MIP. 

Stumped?  :)  Now imagine 1 windows tablet PC (10" screen. wireless) behind each MIP hole. That's 6 in total - including both EICAS.

It works too. Been testing this config (in part) for a few weeks and it works a charm.

Total cost may be an issue for some, but I've got a few sub $300 windows 10" tablets from aliexpress that do the job well. Might be more economical for folks not using SimAvionics, but worth a thought.

When I first read this, I thought this was a really crazy idea but on second thought, besides the cost factor, this sounds like a super terrific idea. I currently still have one PC running one display (PM legacy) for a total of 4 computers just for the displays. Using tablet pcs instead would have made things much cleaner (even now with SimA). If one of my monitors kicks the bucket, this is one option I will definitely consider instead of replacing the monitor.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jackpilot

The monitors choice and install is a non issue.
2 X18½ wide for PFN/ND capt and FO
1X15" 4X5 for standbys and upper DU
1X 10" for lower DU
Stripping them from the bezel takes a few minutes

My 2¢:
18½ monitors sell for peanuts, buy a few as the format will probably disappear
15" also are not manufactured anymore . Get a few too.
Before  fitting  monitors behind the MIP , apply a self adhesive foam strip all around the DU openings.This will prevent dust from accumulating between the monitor surface and the DU glass.

Jack

sagrada737

Helle Jack,

Thanks for the clarification on monitor size.  That's the info I needed.  I already have two 15" 5:4 LCD monitors.  I will pick up a few of the ACER 18.5" monitors next and source the 10" for the lower DU.

Question:  Did you need to remove the bezels on all the monitors?

Also, has anyone experimented with mini-LCD projectors using either a back light approach or mirror system? Many of these mini-lcd projectors are very small (palm size).

Mike

Maurice

Quote from: sagrada737 on December 23, 2012, 09:30:42 AM

Question:  Did you need to remove the bezels on all the monitors?

Speaking for myself, I never removed any of the bezels since the bezels were only 3/4" wide. But I used 19" monitors for PFD/ND (not wide screen) that are a total of 16.5 inches wide including the bezels. As long as your monitor's widths do not exceed 16.5" including bezels, you should be OK.

The 15" Eicas screen is more critical because it sits next to the landing gear lever and the clearance is tight. You should still be able to leave the bezel in place in the 15" monitor as long as it does not exceed max 3/4 ".

If I were you, I would not buy the monitors until you get your MIP and measure the clearances for yourself if you want to keep the bezels in place. If you remove the bezels, there should be no problem with almost any monitor.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments Maurice.  Good advice on delaying monitor purchase until I receive the FDX MIP package.

Question:  What are you using for the 737NG Clock?

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

jackpilot

FDS MIP takes  the above monitors
Advantage of removing the bezels is to put the screen surface forward. no gap between the screen and the DU glass. (which is acrylic BTW !)
For clocks do a search
I used real IFR Sporty's timers framed in the MIP
Joe sells some nice ones (Announcements)

Jack

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments Jack. Interesting idea of using Sporty's IFR Timer product.  It make me think that I don't really need to have the Clock communicate with the FMC and MMRs.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate