Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 04:48:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
504 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 541
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 504
Total: 504

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

A little FPS experiment

Started by jskibo, January 25, 2013, 07:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jskibo

So I'm in the middle of changing my PC up a bit and collecting sale parts for a 3PC  build in anticipation of Xplane trials at some point.

I wanted to build up a reference file of changes, tweaks and impacts to my system performance.

To start, in base install of P3D, only tweak being infinity mask 84.  Running three screen with bezel mask resolution of 5916 x 1080, FOV of 150, zoom .64, FPS locked 30, sliders all right except water at one notch back from right.

System is an older i7-920 @ 170Mhz 3.5Ghz, 12GB, dual GTX285s latest drivers

On Ground at KMDW active runway 14
On ground at KDFW Dreamteam add on airport 11

6000 ft above KMDW 21
6000 ft above KDFW Dreamteam 17

Using above config, Kostas tweaks

Ground at KMDW 17
Ground at KDFW  14

6000 ft above KMDW 27
6000 ft above KDFW Dreamteam 21

Next change will be with Same PC, but GTX680.

Then I will switch to an i5-3570K at do both stock and overclocked

Less than 4 years to retirement......

jskibo

Quote from: Flying_Fox on January 25, 2013, 08:34:37 AM
John, could you list the actual tweaks you applied?

Thanks,
Nick

[BUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 (84 if using a quad with hyper threading )

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

blueskydriver

Have you tried unlocking your FPS limiter to unlimited? I have always reached more FPS when set to unlimited...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 25, 2013, 11:54:29 AM
Have you tried unlocking your FPS limiter to unlimited? I have always reached more FPS when set to unlimited...

John

I have been running unlimited for a long time now. I am pretty sure by now that when you are running 3 undocked views, unlimited fps is a no brainer as you will never get past 25 at any busy airport anyway and once you are airborne, limiting frames does not seem to help at all in my experience anyway.

But let's get something straight, running FSX with 3 undocked windows on any single computer with current high end hardware will never give you a perfectly smooth simulation unless you dial down all the settings and you don't fly at any major hubs. You simply have to accept the odd stutters & fps drop no matter what tweaks you install or no matter how much you over clock. You can wish all you want it wasn't so, but unfortunately, it is  ;D
Just lower your expectations or be prepared to spend...there is no free lunch.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jskibo

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 25, 2013, 11:54:29 AM

John

John, I have and while I get high frames in the air, I actually have experienced worse on the ground.

The GTX680 is in and doing a little better than the dual GTX285s. Still tweaking but getting nearly the same numbers except now I'm running 2X SGAA and the world looks better.

jskibo

Mau,

Yah I'm not looking for 70, just looking to turn up the candy and AA while keeping a flyable rate.

More so I'm prepping 3 PCs  for XPlane use down the road.  Picked up some new Asrock Extreme6 motherboards, cases and memory for 3 PCs.  Wife is grabbing an i5 from Microcenter in Detroit since she is going there this weekend, too bad it's only 1 per customer, $189 + $40 of the extreme6 boards is a pretty decent price.  GTX680 was $419, and the 670 I was looking at was $399 so that was an easy choice, though not ready to buy two more just yet.

Joe Lavery

I have to agree with the guys, I recently upgraded to an i7 with 16GB RAM and an AMD Radion 7970. My FPS is unlocked but I don't have my sliders jammed to the right. I've tweaked it using various settings found on the net, so the external view on 3 monitors is (for the most part) fluid and (almost) without stutters.
I get between 90 and 110 frames in the air and never below 20 on the ground at just about any airport I go to. I recently reviewed Aerosoft's Dusseldorf which is one of the most detailed airports I've seen. Yet I still managed over 20 FPS while taxiing. If I lock the FPS I lose a staggering 10 FPS so I agree with Mau and John, unlocked is better.

Cheers
Joe

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jskibo

I'm liking the 2x SGAA setting in Nvidia inspector

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on January 26, 2013, 04:05:38 AM
I'm liking the 2x SGAA setting in Nvidia inspector

2x SGAA?? I can't find this mode anywhere in Nvidia inspector. Is that a typo?

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

jskibo

It's under antialiasing -transparency super sampling 

Called 2X sparse grid super sampling

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate