Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
466 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3 Window Visuals - Question

Started by Andrew 737, July 12, 2013, 05:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 737

Hi Everyone

During the testing of hardware to create my visuals (3 window method) I encountered a problem I couldn't rectify - when setting up 210 degree visuals over the three windows; when parked in fromt of a building the angles of the building seem to skew off (see picture) is it a side effect or a solvable issue?

The picture is from Ivar Hestness guide - which implies this issue is not solvable using 3 window view setup.

Please note I used this guide whilst researching the problem; I have not set up in accordance. I used Maurice's guide combined with 3 view setup by Flying Fox.

Please can you give your opinions?
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

HarryZ

Quote from: Andrew 737 on July 12, 2013, 05:22:49 AM
Hi Everyone

During the testing of hardware to create my visuals (3 window method) I encountered a problem I couldn't rectify - when setting up 210 degree visuals over the three windows; when parked in fromt of a building the angles of the building seem to skew off (see picture) is it a side effect or a solvable issue?

The picture is from Ivar Hestness guide - which implies this issue is not solvable using 3 window view setup.

Please note I used this guide whilst researching the problem; I have not set up in accordance. I used Maurice's guide combined with 3 view setup by Flying Fox.

Please can you give your opinions?

Andrew,

The ideal degree of viewing for FS X is 135 degrees (45 x 3) From what I understand, that is how the program code was written.  You can go higher if you wish but there will always be a slight price to pay for doing so...like some distortion in the viewing area. This is where the quality of your blending software comes into place because it can fix a fair amount of this distortion.  It takes a lot of fine tuning and patience..

As Ivor has stated in the doc that you showed, the higher blue intensity area from top to bottom of the screen is caused by the overlap of the projectors.  With a 20% overlap of the projectors, this can be fixed with the blending software (with Warpalizer which I use and sell)  Again, it takes a lot of fine tuning and patience.  And if your overlap is a lot less than 20%, this problem because very difficult if not impossible to  correct.

And extending your view to 210 degrees will add to the challenge. Warpalizer is capable of handling an image in a 360 degree dome but if the software program is not written to render this properly you can see that getting it right becomes very difficult.  Personally I think 180 degrees is more than adequate for FS X and a home sim but everyone has their preference.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Andrew 737

Hi Harry

Thanks for the reply and info - appreciated :)

But...

Do you have an explicit answer re the Angles problem on the buildings?

Also the throw of my projectors and associated screen size is what will define my FOV ultimately.
To be perfectly honest 135 degree FOV would be fine but I think the picture will stretch round further according to the projector calculator.

I will test with the projectors when they arrive

BTW screen from Carlofet is ordered! :)
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

PC Specs - 3 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig ram, Samsung Pro 512g & 256g SSD's - 1 x i7 2600k @ 4.6, GTX 780, 8gig Ram, Caviar Black HDD With Crucial Adrenaline & 2 x i7 980x @ 3.3, 6gig ram, GTX 580 & Velociraptor HDD's

HarryZ

QuoteDo you have an explicit answer re the Angles problem on the buildings?

That looks like an issue of not calibrating the blending software.  In fact, it kind of looks like very little calibration has been done in that picture but I would have to know more about the situation before knowing for sure.

QuoteAlso the throw of my projectors and associated screen size is what will define my FOV ultimately.
To be perfectly honest 135 degree FOV would be fine but I think the picture will stretch round further according to the projector calculator.

All depends how far back you place your projectors..the farther back, the larger the image, both horizontally and vertically and more degree of coverage. But remember you'll need 20% of overlap to blend it properly.

If  your screen is already ordered and on the way, then the maximum height of the image will be fixed to the height of the screen....and that will also determine the image width size of each projector and thus how many degrees of viewing you are going to get.

One thing I've learned about projection in my business....the chances of making an error in your calculations are directly proportional as to how much it will cost to fix it >:(
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Andrew 737

Quote from: HarryZ on July 12, 2013, 09:25:56 AM
QuoteDo you have an explicit answer re the Angles problem on the buildings?

That looks like an issue of not calibrating the blending software.  In fact, it kind of looks like very little calibration has been done in that picture but I would have to know more about the situation before knowing for sure.

QuoteAlso the throw of my projectors and associated screen size is what will define my FOV ultimately.

All depends how far back you place your projectors..the farther back, the larger the image, both horizontally and vertically and more degree of coverage. But remember you'll need 20% of overlap to blend it properly.

If  your screen is already ordered and on the way, then the maximum height of the image will be fixed to the height of the screen....and that will also determine the image width size of each projector and thus how many degrees of viewing you are going to get.

One thing I've learned about projection in my business....the chances of making an error in your calculations are directly proportional as to how much it will cost to fix it >:(

Re the building issue - do you believe that we can eliminate that with tweaking?

The screen is 145cm high - that's enough for me.

Harry do you have any way of remotely configuring as well as supplying the software?
Regards and Thanks

Andrew

HarryZ

QuoteRe the building issue - do you believe that we can eliminate that with tweaking?

if the problem is caused by the lack of proper calibration of the blending software, then it can be solved.

QuoteThe screen is 145cm high - that's enough for me.

My screen is slightly higher and is more than enough.  You never see the top of the screen (at least in a 737 scaled cockpit) and the only time you see the bottom is when you look out the side window and down.

QuoteHarry do you have any way of remotely configuring as well as supplying the software?

Supplying the software is easy. It is done via download from Univisual's offices in Norway. You don't pay any additional tax above the cost of the software.  As soon as the software is sent to you, Univisual sends you via regular mail a small dongle that plus into the USB port of your main FS X/P3D computer.  The software won't work without the dongle inserted.

As far as configuring the software remotely....unfortunately no it can't but if you have any computer savy skills at all, you can do it.  There is a learning curve and you need patience and I can certainly assist you along the way.  I have gone through that learning curve and can give you some tips in order to avoid a lot of frustration.  Remember, you are taking the flat square images from 3 projectors and making them fit properly on to a curved screen.  Go to www.warpalizer.com and see some examples of simulation projects where Warpalizer has been used....from the basic to the highest end of projection.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate