Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 09:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
572 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 572
Total: 572

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 dual linked yoke system for my sim

Started by Flying_Fox, November 25, 2013, 10:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying_Fox

Hi All,

Here is my dual linked yoke system for my sim. I  work on them in my workshop outside the simulator. The wooden box matches the sim's yokes compartment, so the yoke can be just moved into sim compartment later. The whole assembly can also be easily taken out for maintenance.

The mechanical design is based on the info posted by Edward (sluyt050) here:
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=3614.msg28297#msg28297   Thanks Edward!!

It is not fully completed yet, and I do not have actual yokes right now.

Here are the details:

The inner columns made from aluminum railing posts (2 x 2 inches)  from Home Depot.

The threaded rod was temporarily installed for initial assembly and adjustments:

I tried to use all standard details that can be bought in hardware stores wherever possible. The outer columns supposed to be the familiar 3" ABS pipes from Home Depot ;)  Their outer diameter are slightly bigger that 76 mm real Boeing column diameter, but they will do. Especially in the dark cockpit.  :angel:

The standard 1/2" bearings used as top column units and for bottom fittings.
Sawing off the bearing "ears":

There are six 10-tooth chain  sprockets used with two  #35 chains. Two sprockets for the chain inside each column and two sprockets with the chain connecting the columns. Each chain  has two turnbuckles installed for adjustments (thanks for the tip about installing two, Edward! )

The mechanism works the same way as in Edward's case, however the design is somewhat different, adjusting to my local dimensions and requirements. I had only 200 mm gap between floor and simulator base floor, so I had to fit the mechanism there .

Turn left (spring removed for greater visibility):

Turn right (of course, depending where from you look at it  ;) )

Here are the videos:

SAM 4823

This video shows the mechanism work with removed spring first for greater visibility:

SAM 4825

Since I used sliding (60mm) pot from Phidgets, I had to allow ~50 mm linking mechanism  travel to simplify pot's movement.

In this video you also can see the sliding pot movements:

SAM 4824

Nick

Raymondvanderploeg

sluyt050

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your detailed presentation. I choose for a similar approach some time ago. One remark: from the film I got the impression that the spring is quite light. The roll pressure as per the Boeing maintenance manual should be +or -15 pound
(ref. http://www.flaps2approach.com/journal/2012/8/2/construction-commenced-new-platform-to-mount-b737-yokes-colu.html).
Good luck with finishing your yokes.
Edward

Flying_Fox

Quote from: sluyt050 on November 26, 2013, 12:45:11 AM
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your detailed presentation. I choose for a similar approach some time ago. One remark: from the film I got the impression that the spring is quite light. The roll pressure as per the Boeing maintenance manual should be +or -15 pound
(ref. http://www.flaps2approach.com/journal/2012/8/2/construction-commenced-new-platform-to-mount-b737-yokes-colu.html).

Hi Edward,

The spring I bought was marked as 16 pounds. I did not measure its tension myself - will try. Your spring actually looks more solid to me.

Thanks again,
Nick

Caflyt

Perfect timing! I'm just about to start rebuilding mine as I'm adding my FO side.
I too try to build everything from materials I can easily access, so Home Depot and Lowe's see a lot of me. It looks like it's time for another trip. Where are you thinking about getting your yolk handles from? That is the search that I am currently on.
Craig

sluyt050

Quote from: Flying_Fox on November 26, 2013, 05:08:10 AM
Quote from: sluyt050 on November 26, 2013, 12:45:11 AM
Hi Nick,

Hi Edward,

The spring I bought was marked as 16 pounds. I did not measure its tension myself - will try. Your spring actually looks more solid to me.

Thanks again,
Nick

Hi Nick,

The spring should be much heavier than 16 pounds. You have to take into account the momentum ratio. For your information: I have about 12 lbs force measured at the yoke. In my configuration this requires a spring of approx. 126 pounds max. force (spring constant = 43 pounds/inch). Yah, I understood it really requires muscles to hand steer a 737!
Edward

sluyt050

Quote from: Caflyt on November 26, 2013, 07:14:38 AM
Perfect timing! I'm just about to start rebuilding mine as I'm adding my FO side.
I too try to build everything from materials I can easily access, so Home Depot and Lowe's see a lot of me. It looks like it's time for another trip. Where are you thinking about getting your yolk handles from? That is the search that I am currently on.
Craig

Routech in Romania is one option I know: ref. http://www.routech.ro/index.php/yocke/boeing-737. Maybe not so attractive for you.
Edward

Flying_Fox

Quote from: Caflyt on November 26, 2013, 07:14:38 AM
Craig

Hi Craig,

Not sure about yokes yet.  I am torn between buying the real ones and building them myself.

Here is a thread that inspiring me to build my own. The result is amazing (as well as the rest of stuff listed in that thread.
http://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/130429-%D1%88%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8B-%D0%B8-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B8-%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%91%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D0%B2-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%85-%D0%B4%D0%BB%D1%8F-%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%88/page-4#entry2469170

It's from Russian builders forum, however if you open it with Google Chrome it will do automatic translation for you.

Nick

Caflyt

Nick,
That's just the sort of thing I'm dumb enough to try!
I may save that for a "last resort" though.
Very good pics though I haven't translated it yet.
I love that kind of stuff!!!!!!
Craig

Flying_Fox

You all will be laughing  ;) :idiot:

Here is my pitch amortization design. No springs, no gas springs. Then what?
A pair of socks and tennis balls.   :P

6-mm aluminum plate fixed between two hardwood pieces. Pieces may move in front/back direction - that's the way to fine tune the column angle in neutral position.

Two socks with 5 tennis balls each.

Socks are just tied up together and wrapped around harwood pieces. Hardwood pieces have small channels to restrict balls moving a bit.

Lower balls are hitting the floor. Top balls push into the sim platform floor through a couple of wood pieces that regulate the gap. In the neutral position (8 degrees forward) both ball rows are just slightly pressed on.

In both extreme positions the force on the yoke reaches above 40 pounds. The force can be regulated by the number of balls. Can't do more precise measurements as light test frame tends to jump itself.  ;)

Advantages? Cheap and easy. Absolutely silent movement.
Disadvantages? Will see how it will hold the correct neutral position - so far so good (however that's what trimmers are for  ;) ).

Nick   :2cw:

Caflyt

I'm often amazed at the ingenuity of my fellow Sim Builders but I really didn't see this one coming!
How does one even begin solving a problem with...."what can I do with these extra tennis balls and my old socks"?
I guess it is along the same theory as pneumatic shocks but I have to wonder about you Nick :)

Nonetheless, I'm watching your progress closely as I am readying myself to undertake a similar project.
I am close to building a floor structure and the yoke system has to be done as well. I will likely mimic Maurice's rudder design also I think. (Unless pantyhose and gum balls are called for)

Keep posting please!

Flying_Fox

Well, in all my insanity   :o   :eek: I already think to apply the same approach to the roll mechanism.   :idiot:

Maurice

Great balls of fire!!!  :o Amazing use of lateral thinking Nick. Simple and quite ingenious I must say. The key to reliable self centering is not to apply any pressure on the balls while in neutral position.

Well done!

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

fsaviator

This puts a whole new spin on the term "it takes B%**s" to fly a jetliner... ;D
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Raymondvanderploeg

I just received 2 complete yokes+columns !!! Don't know I really keep them or sell them.

Well if I do, I see some good inspiration here !

Regards,
Raymond

Jetcos

Great approach Nick, what did the dog say when all his tennis balls disappeared?

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Sam Llorca

This simmers!!! What happened to my balls???  They disappear after WFT, can someone bring them back?

Thank you,
Tiny

goof2092

Hi Nick

Thanks for sharing this post. I am going to make mine based on this. Please help me understand the chain linkage from the top sprocket to the lower pivot point. How is the chain connected so it turns the horizontal chain mechanism? You mention that you have used 4 sprockets, but if I look at how this is working, it seems there is another sprocket hidden inside the column at the bottom pivot where the chain is passing?

Thanks

anthony
mac bookpro, 4GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core i5, Mac OSX 10.6.8.
x-plane 10.25, sioc, uipcx, flywithLua, Teensyduino

Sam Llorca

goof2092

Hi Samuel,

Looks interesting. I, however, backed the guys trying to do a low cost option at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisdynamics/affordable-force-feedback-flight-sim-control-yoke. I opted for the type that you can install more or less like the image done by FSC. I think the FSC one will be costly ;). I intend to use Nick's design to attach the device from the FF kickstarter guys.

Anthony

Flying_Fox

Quote from: goof2092 on December 21, 2013, 12:33:01 AM
Hi Nick

Thanks for sharing this post. I am going to make mine based on this. Please help me understand the chain linkage from the top sprocket to the lower pivot point. How is the chain connected so it turns the horizontal chain mechanism? You mention that you have used 4 sprockets, but if I look at how this is working, it seems there is another sprocket hidden inside the column at the bottom pivot where the chain is passing?

Hi Anthony,

Yes, that's correct - another sprocket is inside the bottom of the column:

Also, note that I drilled small holes in the axle bolt for the sprocket set screws, so they hold better:

It is possible to add some sort of bearings for this axle bolt, however for this version I decided to make it as simple design as possible.

goof2092

Aha, thats the one. Many thanks Nick and very clear now. Will proceed to start getting the parts together. Good tip on the small holes on the bolt. The outer one does not need them as I think the sprocket will be on part of the threads on my bolts.

Anthony

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate