Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 05:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
536 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 544
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 536
Total: 536

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 various questions

Started by TheAviator, September 13, 2014, 04:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAviator

Hello everyone,

To start off, i was originally planning on building an A320, but what i've discovered in my research, is that the A320 parts are more expensive than the 737 ones. (correct me if i'm wrong), so therefore, i have moved over to the 737. And i have a couple of questions about building a 737 simulator.

First of all, my knowledge of electronics equals 0, except for building a computer. And in my reasearch, i have seen that so called ''interface boards'' are used in a simulator build, my question here is, do you pull all the wires from for example the MIP or overhead to an interface board, which then have a USB cable you plug into a computer?
And i was planning on getting FDS's MIP, which i understand you need to buy all the hardware seperately, does this come with complete instructions so that a noob as myself can actually do it? Same with FDS's overhead panel?

Then, i'm curios about the throttle quadrant. I have searched, googled and everything i can think of, and the cheapest motorized TQ i could find, was the ''CockpitForYou'' TQ. It was 1700£, but when i tried to add it to my shopping cart, it said that it was unavailable. Do any of you guys know if they have discontinued the TQ, or do you have to request it? Or is there another supplier on the market where you can get a motorized version for around the same price tag?

3rd, i'm wondering about the yokes, rudders and steering tillers. I have been able to find decently priced rudder pedals from the CAT III shop, wich has a interlinked connection bar also for sale, but what about the yokes? Are the yokes from ACE the best ones out there? And are they easily linkable?

4th and final question, visual system. I would really like to have a 225 degree visual system with 3 projectors. Do any of you have experience building such a visual system at home? And is there any plans out there for such a project?

I am also planning on building my own shell, but if i feel i can afford it, i may go with FDS's 737 shell. I have been saving up some money for a while to actually start this project, but i would like to be absolutely sure that i have done the best possible research before i make my first purchase. So i'm counting on your help! So if there is anything i'm missing, could do better, or should check out, shout it out! :)

Best regards from southern Norway,
Kim.

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

KyleH

Welcome Kim,

First off, I do not think that the 737 is any cheaper to build than the A320. There are more people building 737's so you typically have more options for parts which results in some lower components prices. However, the A320 is a much simpler cockpit to build. There is no motorization in the throttle, you do not need the complexity of the linked yokes, etc. that overall you may not end up with much of a cost difference between the two. Also interfacing would be easier.

If you look at FlightDeck Solutions dual seat trainers, the A320 is actually $3000 cheaper than the 737 one.

Reason's to go for the 737 over the A320 are usually because of space (if you want a scale cockpit the 320 flightdeck is larger) and personal preference for the Boeing aircraft.

As far as how the interface cards work; Yes, the wires from all the pots and switches go to the card, and the card plug into your computer via USB. Then there is some configuring to do on the PC. Note I don't have the FDS cars, but from what I've seen of them, they look relatively simple to configure.

ACE yokes are nice, but do some searching about them before ordering.

I have no experience yet with building the visuals, but may others here do.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

TheAviator

Quote from: KyleH on September 13, 2014, 07:39:34 AM
Welcome Kim,

First off, I do not think that the 737 is any cheaper to build than the A320. There are more people building 737's so you typically have more options for parts which results in some lower components prices. However, the A320 is a much simpler cockpit to build. There is no motorization in the throttle, you do not need the complexity of the linked yokes, etc. that overall you may not end up with much of a cost difference between the two. Also interfacing would be easier.

If you look at FlightDeck Solutions dual seat trainers, the A320 is actually $3000 cheaper than the 737 one.

Reason's to go for the 737 over the A320 are usually because of space (if you want a scale cockpit the 320 flightdeck is larger) and personal preference for the Boeing aircraft.

As far as how the interface cards work; Yes, the wires from all the pots and switches go to the card, and the card plug into your computer via USB. Then there is some configuring to do on the PC. Note I don't have the FDS cars, but from what I've seen of them, they look relatively simple to configure.

ACE yokes are nice, but do some searching about them before ordering.

I have no experience yet with building the visuals, but may others here do.

Hello, and thanks for your reply!
I did not know that the a320 flightdeck is bigger actually, so thank you for pointing that out.

I have always been a boeing man, but i like the look of the airbus flightdecks, that's mainly why i wanted to do something different in the first place, just felt like everyone was doing 737's, not that that's a bad thing :)

Kim.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate