Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 01:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
512 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 570
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 512
Total: 512

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-800 NG Overhead

Started by gapleb, October 29, 2014, 06:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gapleb

I'm planning an overhead. For now, functionality and scale dimensions are my priority. I don't need honeywell switches and realistic feel. Does anyone have a list of all the switches I would need? Has anyone tried making panels like FDS does? They laser cut white acrylic and paint it grey. How is text and backlighting added after that part?

Jan737

Hi,
I,ve made some diy lasercut panels. Very good results.

regards
Jan

blueskydriver

Hi Gilbert,

Welcome to the CB. I read your other post and I figure you might need some guidance. First, use the search engine here on this site. I know you've heard that before, but it'd help you faster then waiting for someone to reply.

Next, to answer your question about FDS panels. They use white acrylic, painted first, then laser etched text. In other words, the laser etches into the paint and acrylic just enough to remove the paint and show the white text. Then they laser cut the openings, holes and do final cuts. Now that I told you these things, let me save you some serious time, money, heartache, brain cells and "doing it the hard way"...

Yes, you can laser cut everything yourself if you have access to a laser cad cutter, but by reading your other post, I don't think you do right? So, just getting everything setup is no easy feat; unless, you laser cad cut everyday and really know what you're doing. Yet, even if you did, you know there are the costs of running the laser cutter, ventilation, materials, paint and so on. Thus, by the time you make your own panels, you spent the same as it would cost for the FDS panels. Email or call Peter Cos about pricing.

Therefore, why not save your money and buy stuff in steps. You know, go for the MIP first, then the FWD Overhead, then Pedestal, then AFT Overhead and so on. Trust me when I say a lot of us members have gone down the "do it yourself" road to only realize it would've been cheaper and easier to just buy everything, and then put it together like a plastic airplane or car model, or kit form.

Please understand I am not trying to discourage you; instead, trying to make it easier and faster. If you rather not wait too long. You could have everything printed on adhesive backed decal sheets and adhere them to cheaper, clear plexiglass, and then block the backsides for back lighting. Search for the Circuit Breaker Panels that Jack Pilot did...

Next, there are so many variables to all of this, you might not get the exact 100% scale anyway, so don't try for it. Just go for what makes you feel happy, because it'll be you using the sim 99.9% of the time... With that in mind, have you thought about going after a real cockpit nose section? You could get a B737-200/300 for well under $10k, heck maybe $5k nowadays. You do that, you will be way ahead of the game. Before you dismiss it, think about this. You might not have room for it now, but you could put it in a storage bin, and then you strip it out inside there. You could use the panels and everything else separate from the shell because you have to remove them anyway to get rid of the old wiring and insulation, etc. Then, when you have the room for the shell, you set it up and put everything back inside it. By then you will know everything about each part, so working with and using them would be easy.

Finally, I say this too every new member. Please go visit a another member who has a cockpit setup already, like Scott, Sam, Mike in Arizona, myself and so on. The point is, you will know a whole lot more and will understand what everything really is by doing so. Plus, if all you've done is looked at internet pics or CB member pics, you will be disappointed when your sim doesn't turn out the same. Some of those sims you see have been worked on for many years, so it looks easier said then done, so too speak. However, if you see one up close and personal you will be happy that you did it first...

Good luck with your project,

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Okay, I posted right after Jan did, so what you should do is read my post, think about, and then send a PM to Jan. if he has done some diy laser cut panels that is great, he could be there for you I'm sure because most, if not all of the members really liking helping others; albeit, you put in a lot of time researching and searching the website here beforehand...

Best regards to both you and Jan,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

gapleb

Super helpful advice, thanks J and J! I have access to a full machine shop at my university with a laser cutter. The DIY approach appeals to me the most, but just buying all the parts in a kit from FDS does have its merits. Time and money are both in my mind, and I need to think about space for all this stuff too. This weekend I will search through the forum for some answers instead of being lazy.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate