Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 07:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
568 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 568
Total: 568

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cannon connectors

Started by davjones, November 17, 2014, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davjones

Anybody ever tried to remove the connector inserts from the female half of a Cannon connector?

Must be a special tool for this but I wouldn't know how to get one and I wonder if one could be improvised.

Thanks!

...Dave

quid246

Check all the big electronics houses... Mouser, Newar, DigiKey.  They sell the Cannon plugs, so they sell the tools....can't say they will be cheap though.

philb737

Easily done, insert a fine sharp Allen wrench tool with the same pin diameter preferably one with a handle into the pin hole and push-in from the top! Sometimes , it helps if you pull the wire from the opposite side while pushing from the top. I've removed over 100 pins using this method :o
Cheers,
Phil
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Edoradar

The tool you want is DRK20B or equivalent. It removes both pins and sockets 20AWG size from Mil 26500 serie connector and others.
Edoardo Criscuoli Altieri b767simulator

davjones

I don't think there's any question you can't find an answer to on this forum!  I thought I was pushing the envelope with this one, but wrong again!

Phil's method is naturally my first choice due to the cost of the tool, but if I can't make it work I know exactly what I need and where to look for it.

Phil, I did try the allen wrench thing just quick today and failed.  I couldn't find an allen wrench quite small enough to get in that hole.  Now, when you said use an allen wrench, I figured you said that because it was just a convenient tool to push with.  What I did was to use a drill bit that fit in the hole, but once it bottomed, I could not press it any farther.  Which makes me wonder, do you need the allen wrench to actually turn something in there? 

Thanks for all the help!

...Dave

philb737

Dave,
How about a short video demonstrating how I take the pin out using my technique :).
Cheers,
Phil

philb737

727737Nut

737 Junkie

quid246

Here's a link to one vendor that has all the datasheets.... just plug your desire P/N into OctoPart.com and see what's the cheapest.

http://www.peigenesis.com/en/connectors/by-series-type/bacc45a63connectors.html

davjones

Thanks so much for doing the video, Phil.  I see that the allen wrench is not for turning, but just a push tool, as I thought in the first place.  I think my problem is that I couldn't push on it hard enough with the little drill bit I tried.  No time tomorrow but I'll try again on Saturday and report back.

I'm sure it'll be easier after I get the first one loose and can see exactly what holds them in and what it takes to release them...

Thanks again!

...Dave

davjones

Said I'd report back today but never did get a chance to mess with it.  Won't be able to use an allen wrench though, at least not with what I have here.  Smallest I have is 3/64" -- small but not quite small enough.  Hopefully I can improvise with something else that's very small and yet rigid.  Where'd you ever find an allen wrench that small with a handle?

Obviously, it's the right tool for the job!

Another report soon...

...Dave

philb737

Dave,
I just used an old probe lead from a multimeter :) and it works like a charm!! ;D Concerning the allen wrench,I purchased it in Germany many many years agooooo.
Cheers,
Phil

blueskydriver

Hi Dave,

You can buy the allen wrench (also called ball wrench) with handles from some hardware stores, but to get the smaller sizes, go to the website for Du-bro.

Standard here:

http://shop.dubro.com/p/5-piece-ball-wrench-set-qty-pkg-1

and Metric here:

http://shop.dubro.com/p/5-piece-ball-wrench-set-qty-pkg-1-1

Most items are for the Remote Control (RC) hobby, but they sell an Imperial (standard) and a Metric set. If you need individual odd sizes, just search their website. I suggest you purchase both sets above because you will use them with your simulator, be it as what they're designed for, or to do the odd things like removing pins from cannon plugs...  :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

davjones

Okay -- back again.  What I came up with is an 18 gauge finishing nail, head cut off and point filed mostly flat.  Put it horizontally in the end of the vice jaws, leaving just enough of the nail protruding to do its work -- maybe 5/8" or so.

Then just press the connector on, and poof, the contact is out.  Ridiculously easy.  And surely plenty cheap....

Only small problem is that the nail is just a little tight, so will try to file off just point .001 or .002" all the way around to loosen it up.  Or see how the next smaller size might be.  Works great as is, but I don't want to take a chance on permanently opening up the contacts and ending up with problems due to a loose fit.

John -- yeah.  We never know what unintended purpose we'll end up using our tools for.   :)   

Thanks so much to all for the outstanding help!

...Dave

geneb

That video was REALLY painful to watch. :)

You know that you're destroying the internal clips inside the cannon plug right?  If not outright, then damaging them pretty badly.

You can get a tool like this: http://www.jameco.com/1/1/26294-91285-1-insertion-extraction-tool.html that will allow you to remove the pins without doing damage to the pin or the connector body.  The extractor is inserted in the back of the connector and it folds the little plastic clips out of the way and prevents them from re-engaging the socket or pin as you pull the wire out.

I can do a video of how it's done if you want to see that I'm not nuts. :D

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate