Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 06:04:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
546 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 549
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 546
Total: 546

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737-300 Seat Height Adjustment Handle Repair

Started by Michael_B737_ATP, April 13, 2015, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_B737_ATP

Hi Guys,

I have two 737-300 seats, they are in great shape with the exception of the Height Adjustment Handle... it's broken on one of them, as shown in the photo below. My question is, how do I remove these pins?. Do I need a special tool?. Has anyone removed these during their refurbishing?.

Thanks

quid246

You are probably going to need the proper sized pin driver on each.

tennyson

Michael, aren't they just cotter pins, in which case you drive them out with a very small nail punch, or another smaller cotter pin.

As it turns out, I'll be working on a set of Ipeco's in the next few days, so if nobody gives you the answer, I'll take a look and get back to you,

Frank Cooper 

quid246

Frank... yes, they are just some rolled metal pins... nothing fancy.

mickc

Hi Michael,

As mentioned, you will need a set of pin punches, these are all held together by roll pins

Attached is a picture for reference, numbers here refer to this picture

First, raise the seat to full height, and remove the 2 elastic tension straps underneath the seat.  (Fig 18)
You will see an cable adjuster between the 2 height locking pins on the seat base, loosen this off and unhook the cable. (Fig 38)

Tap the 2 smaller pins (Fig 63) on the outside of the boss in about 1/4"  this will release the end cap with the roller pivot, you can now pull it out slightly and remove the clevis pin (Fig 48) than secures the pivot to cable you loosened previously.

If you fail to remove the pivot and cable you will damage it when trying to drive out the pins - Spoken from experience  :(

Then drive the large centre pin out (Fig 114) and the broken handle will come out.

I see you have a new handle, bit there should also be a small steel rod of similar length (fig 138), with a plastic end button on one end (Fig 129) and an hourglass-shaped piece on the other end (Fig 126), as well as the rubber hand grip.(Fig 141)

I have stripped a pair of these seats down to individual components for restoration, and can assist if needed. 

Best of luck!

tennyson

There are Michael, see, the Ozzies are here to help you....hahaha

Mick, you are the man. I remember seeing your post when you refurbished those Ipeco's. It was a great job!

Frank Cooper

mickc

Quote from: tennyson on April 14, 2015, 12:15:11 AM

Mick, you are the man. I remember seeing your post when you refurbished those Ipeco's. It was a great job!

Cheers Frank,

Still got a little way to go yet, i wasn't happy with the finish so i stripped it all back to bare aluminium and started again  ::)

Now i'm just waiting on some OEM replacement parts from Ipeco so I can re-assemble them.

I have a couple of great shots of a complete seat laid out in individual parts, I will be posting a Blow-by-Blow when i'm done :)

Note to other Ipeco seat guys here, I have the full maintenance and parts manual from Ipeco for my seats, I will ask them if its OK to post it here.

(Shouldnt be a problem, but you never know. My contact at Gables has been great usually, but gave me the 3rd degree about the TCAS/ATC wiring digram I requested due to recent Malaysian Airline issues :o) )

quid246

Speaking of Malaysia Airlines... you should see the reaction of people in Malaysia when I tell them I am building a flight simulator.  "Is that legal?"

Michael_B737_ATP

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply's and help, could sure use it.  ;D The other parts are coming from the shipper in a separate box, figured I'd get a jump on getting it apart. Guess it starts with purchasing a Roll Pin Punch Set.

Will a 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm and 8mm Roll Pin Punch Set work to remove these pins?.

Thanks

mickc

Quote from: Michael_B737_ATP on April 14, 2015, 09:39:46 AM

Will a 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm and 8mm Roll Pin Punch Set work to remove these pins?.

Thanks

Should do the trick.

The smaller roll pins are 1/8" - 3.17 mm.

There are smaller ( 1/16") roll pins elsewhere on the seats, but if you only need to replace the handle, that punch set should be OK

Michael_B737_ATP

Hi,

I'll add the 1/8" and 1/16" to the set when I get them at Sears.

Thanks

Michael_B737_ATP

Hi Guys,

The seat is fixed, the instructions were spot on. The only real pain was replacing the end cap.

Thanks

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate