Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:20:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
496 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 736
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 496
Total: 496

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Simworld MCP /EFIS and CDU Review

Started by mickc, May 06, 2015, 05:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickc

This is an impartial review of Simworld's newest products.
( I am not affiliated with Simworld and do not receive any discounts or other benefits for reviewing their products.)

This review is just the good old  :2cw:

Also, I will update these photos soon, my camera is pretty terrible, especially with backlight shots.
** Some of these photos are from the Simworld website, they are way better photographers than me!

Simworld MCP and EFIS

Out of the box:
Another great product from Simworld, this unit is by far the most accurate unit i have seen to date. 
The lettering on the light plate is in the exact font and sizing of the real unit. 

Mode Buttons are well labelled, with crisp white lettering, and the green checkerboard is not visible when unlit. When backlit, the lettering on the switches are green and the checkerboard pattern is the same style as the real deal.

This is the only unit I have seen with the finger guards next to the Flight director switches, except the FDS unit that is yet to be released.

The C/O and Speed/alt Intervention switches have a nicely countersunk hole, and the correctly sized and shaped buttons.
All switches and buttons have a firm tactile feel, and the knobs are the correct shape and size compared to the real thing.
A nice touch is the extended pointer on the Bank limit selector, i have not seen that on other vendors units.

The disengage bar has yellow and black markings visible when in the down position, a nice touch!

EFIS knobs are the right shape and size, and have actual push buttons at the ends of the knobs, unlike others where its just a sticker on the knob and you push then knob in.  This means that no matter the position of the knob, the text on the button is always horizontal, as per the real aircraft.  This is a first as far as I know.

Also the functionality of the EFIS knobs is correct, the outer knob is switchable between the 2 positions, and the inner ones are spring loaded from left to right.
On the CP Flight EFIS, the outer knobs are spring loaded from left to right but rest in the centre , which is not a proper position, and the inner knobs are encoders.

The buttons on the EFIS are the right size, and have a slightly dished face with clear lettering.

For me, the standout feature of the MCP is easily the displays.  They are not white LED 7-segment displays like most other vendors use, but they are a custom built blue LCD Screen as used in the real unit.

These displays look identical to the real thing, in both color and font, and also are dimmable with the rest of the backlighting.
The pictures don't really do them justice, especially with my shitty camera.

Display bezels are also very well done, and are true to the original shape.

Small light test

Light Test Mode

Detail showing the LCD Display

A shot of a real MCP

Probably the only thing this unit is lacking from the OEM unit is the light sensor below the Altitude window.  With the effort they have gone through to get the unit to look as realistic as it does, the inclusion of this sensor (even though non-functional) would have been good.

Setup and install:

Couldn't be easier!  Simply plug the EFIS units into 5v and the MCP into 12v, plug the CANBus wiring in and its done.
I already had the Simbox controller for the gauges (see review here: http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=4222.0

All CANBus cables and power cables are supplied, however they do not ship with power supplies, as these are designed for fairly complex setups where 5 & 12v power should already be available.

CANBus Cables

Power Cables

Simbox

When my order was shipped, Filip from Simworld sent an updated Simbox and CANBus dimmer to replace my existing ones, and I just need to send back the old ones.  In my opinion, it is outstanding service to receive free upgrades on components!

With the super easy setup of Simworld's CANBus system, it takes literally 30 seconds to get this running with Prosim. No drivers, no pesky USB Serial ports, no software install, no config.

I purchased  the MCP/EFIS bracket with the units, and attaches easily onto the Simworld MIP.  This bracket is thick powder coated aluminium, and is exactly 1:1 scale.  The MCP attaches from the from with 4 screws and the EFIS units also slide in from the front, with screws going into the unit from underneath.  - this is exactly how it is secured in the real aircraft.

Operating:

The displays come alive with battery power in Prosim, and all functions are replicated exactly as shown on the Prosim Software MCP.  The custom LCD displays also have the +/- symbols
Doing a "Lights test" all the switches and indicators light up, and all the LCDs pulse in brightness displaying all digits. - Beautiful!

EFIS controls react instantly, and the speed for the baro and mins setting have dual speeds, making it easy to control.

The backlighting is only active with AC power, like real life, and is flawless on all panels.  The LCD displays also dim when backlight is applied, and brighten with a higher backlight setting.   
Mode switch labelling goes green with the backlighting on, and look very realistic.

Its very hard to get a good backlighting shot, but the units look 10 times better in real life than any photo can show,

The Auto-Throttle switch is a well made setup, much better than the floppy CP Flight ones.  The switch works like the real one, where it will not stay engaged unless conditions are correct, it will just spring back to off.

I did a bit of a reliability test, and turned the power off to the MCP mid-flight, disconnected CANBus wiring etc and the whole system didn't miss a beat.  Everything else on the CANBUS continues to work properly, and once power is back on, the unit picks up where it left off, and comes straight back to life.
Try doing that with a CP Flight MCP :o

Overall:

This is in my opinion, by far the most realistic MCP/EFIS combo I have seen. Certainly better than the current "top dog" of the CP Flight Pro series. 

I know FDS have a new MX model on the way, but the pictures I have seen of it still come short of this unit.  I previously had a CP Flight Pro series, and there is just no comparison.

The only thing I don't really like is that the LCD screens are dimly backlit whenever the power is turned on to the unit.  Nothing is displayed, but it is not fully "Cold and Dark". 
This can easily be overcome by having a relay turn the power on with the battery bus gate in Prosim and in by no means a major problem.

Simworld CDUs

Out of the box:

These units are extremely solid, and quite heavy - a good sign :) 
The main panel is solid machined aluminium, which is well finished with great detail.

The buttons are a nice tight fit, and are beautifully shaped with crisp white lettering.
Buttons have a nice tactile feel and depress smoothly.

The brightness knob is accurate, as is the inset BRT label.  The brightness knob adjusts the brightness of the LCD text, not the backlight as other models do
Backlight is controlled through the Capt & F/O Main Panel lighting controls as it is in the real aircraft.

The handle is a separate piece that can be lifted and folded back down.

The connections are all in the bottom of the unit, with a single connector for 12v power, a VGA port for the LCD screen and heavy industrial CANBus connectors.  All cables exit straight down, so there are no issues with cables fouling on the edges of the CDU bay.

Connections are straight forward

CANBus connectors are industrial locking ones, very sturdy!

The mounting flanges on wither side are Dzus rail compliant, and have a large solid mating surface

Again all power cables and CANBus cables & terminator are provided, as well as the mounting screws and replica Dzus fasteners.

CANBus Cables

Operation:

Again, no drivers etc, just plug into the CANBus and power.  In Prosim, you just start Prosim CDU, and tell it if its the Capt or F/O CDU, then drag the screen onto the LCD and do the normal line setup.

The response from the keys is instant, and the display is bright with great contrast and has a very wide viewing angle.

Indicators for CALL MSG FAIL are all well lit and clear, and operate as they should.

The backlight is incredible on this unit, the full width of the keys are lit with no dark spots, and the color is spot on.  A lot of other CDUs on the market have just the middle of the keys lit, with the outer edge dim, and also have a very yellow color.

Unplugging & replugging in mid-flight again had no problems.

Again with this unit, the LCD stays on but blank with power connected when cold and dark.

I highly recommend all of the above units, and with Simworld support service, you can't go wrong!
They may be slightly more expensive than other units but the extra cost is well worth it in my opinion.

Expect a bit of a wait, mine took around 5 weeks, but that os pretty standard these days for high end units.
They are all custom build with numberous options depending on your setup.

Footnote:

A great testament to Simworld's after sales service -
When testing my MCP/ EFIS i had them powered by my lab power supply.  Due to my own stupidity (and working in the dark to take backlight photos) - managed to push the preset on one of the power supply outputs and sent 28v into the 5v bus  :eek:

So after swearing for 10 minutes straight about the prospect of destroying over 2000 euro worth of gear on the same day I received it, I tested each unit, and found the F/O EFIS had failed, surprisingly everything else was fine!  Even with almost 6 times the rated voltage!

I contacted Simworld and told them of my misadventure, and within less than a week i had a replacement control board for the EFIS from halfway across the planet, and it took all of 5 minutes to replace. 

I cannot speak highly enough of the after sales support provided by Simworld. They even offered to repair it themselves if i sent the unit back, but I elected to have the board sent and fit it myself.
Also the replacement board was way cheaper than a replacement EFIS!

Support like this is something that is hard to come by these days, especially in this industry.

I will be a repeat customer for sure.

quid246

Mick... nice review as always.  I know what you mean about camera not being able to do justice... when I took the quick pic of my MCP last night, I looked at it and the camera, and it again and thought... this camera is a pile of crap!

mickc

Cheers Adam.

The photos always look awesome on the tiny phone screen, but once you upload and view them full size its a different story!

In particular, the blue of the LCD displays is way off in the photos.

Bob Reed

Mick, thanks for taking the time to do and post this review! It has great information in it. Love the looks of this gear.

P906

Hi,

but Simworld does not offer an EFIS on their website....

how did you get it ?

Chris/Vienna

mickc

Quote from: P906 on May 12, 2015, 02:29:05 AM
Hi,

but Simworld does not offer an EFIS on their website....

how did you get it ?

Chris/Vienna

It is available if you ask, they just haven't released it publicly yet

P906

Thx Mick,

will have a talk with Philip...

Chris

willow

Thank you for posting this review.

I currently am using the CP Flight Pro model and am seriously thinking of upgrading to the SimWorld MCP.  This review has helped me make up my mind and I am discussing various options with Flip.   Cheers,   WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

jdavz1

Quote from: willow on June 09, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

I currently am using the CP Flight Pro model and am seriously thinking of upgrading to the SimWorld MCP.  This review has helped me make up my mind and I am discussing various options with Flip.   Cheers,   WilloW

may i ask why your'e changing? I am looking at both and have been heavily tipped off that cp flight is the way to go because of value for money so id love to hear your thoughts

great review too

quid246

FWIW I never owned the CP Pro's.... but the SimWorld one is VERY correct. Of course it will never be the same as a real MCP, but in looking at and bench testing mine... it's a nice piece of kit.

willow

Quote from: jdavz1 on July 10, 2015, 06:31:07 AM
Quote from: willow on June 09, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

may i ask why your'e changing? I am looking at both and have been heavily tipped off that cp flight is the way to go because of value for money so id love to hear your thoughts

great review too

Hello;

The CP Flight MCP is exactly that - good value for money (although it is overpriced, but everything in flightsim is).  However, the CPF MCP is lacking in many ways both operationally and aesthetically. 

The SimWorld MCP is the only unit currently on the market that simulates the real MCP perfectly, is exactly the same size and aesthetically looks identical.  I guess it depends upon what you are searching for - I would like to convert a real MCP but the cost is prohibitive.  The SimWorld MCP is the next best thing.  On another note, I believe that FDS also have a MCP available but I have not had the chance to actually look at it to make a comparison.

After delivery (if I opt for this MCP) I will be able to make a more informed comparison between the two units. 

I recommend that you read the information on the SimWorld website as many of the differences are discussed.  There is also a video to review which shows many of the differences.

Cheers,   WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

tennyson

I agree with all that has been said here, but one of the most important things that affects the average simmer has been left out.
That, of course, is the price.

While I have opted for some expensive solutions and have been more than happy with the outcome, sometimes the cost of comparative items is just not justified.
I am not saying that here, but it needs to be put out there and considered.

I bought the full set of Simworld Overhead gauges (After reading Micks write-up), and even tho expensive, I think the difference and the functionality more than made up for the cost.

As well, some of us poor sods pay the extra for shipping and GST costs once it reaches 1000 dollars (which is easily done when you are talking about sim gear).

I'll go and have a look at what it would cost me to buy it here in Australia and post back here.

Frank Cooper

tennyson

Ok, so the MCP from Simworld, just on it's own is 1788 euro's which at todays rate is $2677.
That is without shipping cost or the GST cost which is Guaranteed to be 500-600 dollars roughly.
That puts the MCP alone at over 3 grand.

The comparable CP Flight unit, the CP Flight Pro is 999 euro's or around $1500, an $1100 difference. Of course you'd still have shipping and customs on that as well.

The EL version of the CP Flight unit is 499 euro's which is $744 and apart from shipping does not attract any Customs charges, as it's under the 1000 dollar GST and Customs limit.

So, without hijacking the thread too much, for functionality, the CP Flight EL is still the cheapest value and way cheaper than the other two, as far as buyers from Oz are concerned.

However, after seeing Micks fabulous write-up, if I had the money, I'd but the Simworld gear in a heart beat....

Frank Cooper

willow

Quote from: tennyson on July 10, 2015, 04:49:01 PM
Ok, so the MCP from Simworld, just on it's own is 1788 euro's which at todays rate is $2677.
That is without shipping cost or the GST cost which is Guaranteed to be 500-600 dollars roughly.
That puts the MCP alone at over 3 grand.

The comparable CP Flight unit, the CP Flight Pro is 999 euro's or around $1500, an $1100 difference. Of course you'd still have shipping and customs on that as well.

The EL version of the CP Flight unit is 499 euro's which is $744 and apart from shipping does not attract any Customs charges, as it's under the 1000 dollar GST and Customs limit.

So, without hijacking the thread too much, for functionality, the CP Flight EL is still the cheapest value and way cheaper than the other two, as far as buyers from Oz are concerned.

However, after seeing Micks fabulous write-up, if I had the money, I'd but the Simworld gear in a heart beat....

Frank Cooper

Hello Frank

The cost of the item is immaterial, as enthusiasts have different depths to their pockets.   It is unfortunate that if you seek a higher level of authenticity, then the price paid is usually commensurate with that level - value for money does not enter the equation.

If you are seeking perfection and a higher lever of reliability, then I am lead to believe that the SimWorld MCP is a better option to the CP Flight MCP.  This in no way degrades the CPF panels which are very good.  However, it should be remembered that the CPF panels are getting quite old now and the design of the panels reflects this age.  I have little doubt that CPF could also replicate the SimWorld MCP to bring their panel into line.

Best,  WilloW

WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

jdavz1

Interesting that we are all from Australia :) I have opencockpits MCP and EFIS which are more than functional but f course the end goal is the have a full replica NG so I am looking at simworld for a few bits but I was told by a sim builder who does it for a living that the CP is a better option in terms of value and full functionality, they do look very good, but as you said the simworld is newer and I have read about how the simworld stuff just connects together and is native to prosim.

I am aware of the GST and release costs associated with living in Australia.

Thank you for your input

tennyson

No problem. I was not trying to detract from the Simworld gear in any way, as I have bought my fair share of their products.

Nor was I having a go, in any way, at Mick's wonderful review, but I am sure that some prospective Aussie builders would like to be aware of the hidden costs for importing quality items like this.

I know that I have been bitterly disappointed on some of the purchases I've made from overseas sellers, when the Import Duties and Customs people start adding their costs on, which doesn't happen until those items reach Australia.

Frank Cooper

Sam Llorca

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading my half dead FDS MCP and I'm thinking Simworld, but before I will like to ask you how does it fit on the FDS glareshield, not asking which is better or nicer looking.

I'm asking if...

1- Does it fit on FDS housing on the glareshield?
2- Do I have to purchase their EFIS panels also or can I keep using the FDS one? will my existing FDS EFIS will work without the FDS MCP?

I asked Simworld but it seems like they are in some kind of vacation at this time.

Your help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Sam

mickc

Hi Sam,

Im not too familiar with the FDS MCP/EFIS setup, but if the EFIS units can run standalone, then it may work.

Also not sure of the Glareshield fitment, I could be wrong, but from what I have heard the FDS MCP is not the exact scale, but the Simworld one is 1:1 with the real thing.

If you can provide measurements of the opening i can see if its the same

Sam Llorca

Thanks for the fast response Mickc,

I'll pull out my MCP next Monday and measure the opening/bay/mounting bracket.

Cheers!

willow

Hello Sam

I have sent you a PM,   WilloW
WilloW  (YMHB)
www.Flaps2Approach.com

Sam Llorca

Thank you for your help Willow, you are a great asset to this site!!!!

Cheers,
Sam

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate