Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
442 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 442
Total: 442

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

3D printed tiller wheel

Started by pierclav, November 03, 2015, 01:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierclav

First things first: credit to Jackpilot for the measurements.

8 hours of printing and plenty of finishing work in the following order:

1- Glazing putty (red) to fill the the surface of the 3d print

2- Sanding (100 and 220 grit)

2- Alternating coats of primer-finisher (grey) and polypropylene bumper primer (clear)

3- Sanding (220 and 400 grit)

4- Black acrylic

5- High-gloss clear coat.

I am pretty happy with the results for a first try. I will be happy to share the Solidworks and STL files (or any other format I can convert to).

Pierre

727737Nut

Very very cool!!   You thought about making them on a limited basis?   Great job!

Rob
737 Junkie

Aerosim Solutions

Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Flying_Fox

Quote from: pierclav on November 03, 2015, 01:24:22 AM
I am pretty happy with the results for a first try. I will be happy to share the Solidworks and STL files (or any other format I can convert to).

Pierre

Excellent work Pierre!

I wonder - which 3D printer you use?

Nick

pierclav

Rob,

I am too busy at the moment to consider get into that business. I am semi-retired but building my cockpit has pretty much turned into a fulltime job. My goal was to save on shipping costs.

Nick,

The print was 1 cm too big for my Prusa so I had to farm it out to a local Makerspace. I live in Thailand so the costs are very reasonable. Not sure there would be a cost advantage if you have to farm it out in your part of the world. I looked at Shapeways and the liked and theirs costs are ridiculous. If you don't have access to a 3D printer that can handle the volume, it makes more sense to buy an off-the-shelf product such as Gwin's.

Pierre

jackpilot

Jack

Flying_Fox

Quote from: pierclav on November 05, 2015, 05:00:11 PM

Nick,

The print was 1 cm too big for my Prusa so I had to farm it out to a local Makerspace. I live in Thailand so the costs are very reasonable. Not sure there would be a cost advantage if you have to farm it out in your part of the world. I looked at Shapeways and the liked and theirs costs are ridiculous. If you don't have access to a 3D printer that can handle the volume, it makes more sense to buy an off-the-shelf product such as Gwin's.

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

No, I don't need to build the tiller - I already have one that I got from Gwyn.
I am just thinking of getting 3D printer, that's why I wonder which printers people use.

Nick

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate