Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 09:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
495 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 495
Total: 495

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Lexington KY 737 project

Started by airupthere, March 13, 2017, 09:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airupthere

Made a video saturday night of my overhead build. Wanted to share with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvIUkEOs_c8

Trevor Hale

Great Job on the Wiring.  Looks like your taking your time..  Nice Job.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

airupthere

Thanks trevor! I did a custom PC build where I sleeved all the cables in my PC - EPS, 24-pin, PCIE power cables. So that gave me all the skill I needed for the crimping, and sleeving. Hopefully it pays off. I hope the TLC pays dividends later.

Kumar Patel

Quote from: airupthere on March 13, 2017, 11:16:49 AM
Thanks trevor! I did a custom PC build where I sleeved all the cables in my PC - EPS, 24-pin, PCIE power cables. So that gave me all the skill I needed for the crimping, and sleeving. Hopefully it pays off. I hope the TLC pays dividends later.

I really like it.  What is the brand of the parts/unit?  is it better, more economical to build it or just buy a ready to use one?  How much time did it take you to complete it from start to finish?

Thanks

airupthere

Hey Jack, here's the info

Panels, 7-segment displays - opencockpits
Switches - 50/50 of honeywell, and opencockpits switches
IO - opencockpits master, usb and IO cards
Guauges - flightillusion.

I think the overhead built by opencockpits (plug and play) is around $3,200..

A big part of the cost in my overhead are the Honeywell switches (the APU switch alone was $50), and the flight illusion guages.

I intentionally try not to keep track of how much money I spend. :) I don't want to make myself sick.

As far as time so far.. A few saturdays here and there doing wiring. So far the biggest thing was mounting all the IO boards on the plexi, and/or at least getting that strategy in place. I'm a programmer, so tinkering with the SIOC software isn't a big deal. I still have more, but it should come together pretty quick. I started building it mid-January, so I've got 2 months into the project.

If you like working with your hands - build it yourself..
If you want the most realistic representation - build it yourself
if you want a fast turn around - buy plug and play. I think the prices are fair

jskibo

Wow, nice wiring job.  1000x better than my former spiderweb of wires!

Less than 4 years to retirement......

dephee

Really nice job on the wiring.

I am building overhead too right now. I use arduino and my own input/output pcb.  My cabling management is a mess compare to yours. nice jobs!!

airupthere

thanks guys. I really got into PC modding in the last couple years, and developed a passion for custom wiring of PC's.. sleeving, heat shrinking, new connectors and terminals - the whole shebang.  I wasn't sure how other people went about the operation, so I was curious if i'm below average, or above. :) Thanks for the feedback!!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate