Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
230 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

220 FOV screen

Started by Kumar Patel, March 18, 2017, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumar Patel

I am thinking about curved screen for my sim,  I was thinking about 220FOV from natvis - https://www.natvis.com.au , apparently it's the best :) and also the most expensive  :'(

I am measuring my space  to accommodate that screen and I need your help guys.

1) what is the distance from your eyeview to the floor  (straight line)
2) Are your monitors/screens in dead centre in relation to your eyeview? or are they slightly lower so when you look out your window you see more ground and not as much sky when looking up.
3) what is your distance from your eyes to the front screen and to the side screens?

I would greatly appreciate your info as this will significantly help me with my planning.
Thank you
Jack

Nat Crea

MODIFIED Response: Mixed up Jackpilot with JackthePilot.

Jack, I originally quoted you a "complete" Visual System and fully installed, not just a screen to be clear...yes more expensive than just a screen alone.

Nat

jackpilot

Just in case, Nat it is not "me"
Hope you noticed
Jack

Jack

Kumar Patel

Quote from: Nat Crea on March 19, 2017, 02:18:55 PM
MODIFIED Response: Mixed up Jackpilot with JackthePilot.

Jack, I originally quoted you a "complete" Visual System and fully installed, not just a screen to be clear...yes more expensive than just a screen alone.

Nat

I never knew I can just buy the screen alone.

navymustang

Jack - sent you a PM regarding your trip to Orlando. Check out Northern Flight sim. Very low cost and have worked great.
I have used at home and in my business.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

737man

Have you checked out Simpits in New Zealand?
Excellent 230fov Sreen...

Sam Llorca

BE CAREFUL GUYS!

CHOOSE YOUR VENDORS WISELY, ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS AND MOST IMPORTANT, DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY.

:2cw:

blueskydriver

If you're looking for just a screen goto Carl's Place here:

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-projection-and-movie-screens/

OMG! When I went to copy and paste the link I noticed Carl updated his website, but the crazy part he has a picture of my simulator. I sent him that pic year's ago (for him to use) when he first had flight simulator guys buy his screens. Not sure, but I think I was the first or second person who ordered a screen from him to be used in this manner.

Basically, I emailed him and then we spoke on the phone about it. My screen that I still use is 9' high by 39' long. I had the black border added and purchased the grommets to be placed every 6" a part; plus, I ordered the bungees from him as well. If you get a screen, make sure you get the bungees...trust me on that one.

If you search my older postings there are plenty of pics and info all about it. Albeit, Karen and I did all the projectors and warping setup ourselves, so that is what we posted about. There are two ways to go, you have too spend time working with this and there is a learning curve; otherwise, hire someone like Nat to do it for you. It all depends on how much time you want to spend learning versus flying. If I had it to do over again, I'd contact Nat...

John

I am not affiliated with Carl's Place or NatVis in any way, just providing info for you.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Kumar Patel

Quote from: blueskydriver on March 22, 2017, 10:03:48 AM
If you're looking for just a screen goto Carl's Place here:

http://www.carlofet.com/projector-projection-and-movie-screens/

OMG! When I went to copy and paste the link I noticed Carl updated his website, but the crazy part he has a picture of my simulator. I sent him that pic year's ago (for him to use) when he first had flight simulator guys buy his screens. Not sure, but I think I was the first or second person who ordered a screen from him to be used in this manner.

Basically, I emailed him and then we spoke on the phone about it. My screen that I still use is 9' high by 39' long. I had the black border added and purchased the grommets to be placed every 6" a part; plus, I ordered the bungees from him as well. If you get a screen, make sure you get the bungees...trust me on that one.

If you search my older postings there are plenty of pics and info all about it. Albeit, Karen and I did all the projectors and warping setup ourselves, so that is what we posted about. There are two ways to go, you have too spend time working with this and there is a learning curve; otherwise, hire someone like Nat to do it for you. It all depends on how much time you want to spend learning versus flying. If I had it to do over again, I'd contact Nat...

John

I am not affiliated with Carl's Place or NatVis in any way, just providing info for you.

I would absolutely go with NatVis, he seems like a nice guy and his products seem fantastic (based on pictures), I know you get what you pay or but $25000 for just a screen 3 projectors and 1 computer seems way overpriced IMHO. There are tons of other companies I was recommended for a fraction of the price.  I don't mind paying $25000 for a highly complex motorized Yoke or Throttle  but just a screen is way too much. As for warping software I heard all you need to buy is Fly Elise-ng and the setup is easy.

blueskydriver

Quote from: jack-THE-pilot on March 18, 2017, 03:18:26 PM
I am thinking about curved screen for my sim,  I was thinking about 220FOV from natvis - https://www.natvis.com.au , apparently it's the best :) and also the most expensive  :'(

I am measuring my space  to accommodate that screen and I need your help guys.

1) what is the distance from your eyeview to the floor  (straight line)
2) Are your monitors/screens in dead centre in relation to your eyeview? or are they slightly lower so when you look out your window you see more ground and not as much sky when looking up.
3) what is your distance from your eyes to the front screen and to the side screens?

I would greatly appreciate your info as this will significantly help me with my planning.
Thank you
Jack

Hi Jack

Certainly, evaluating and comparing costs, then chosing the one that best fits your budget is the best thing to do. However, that's really what we all must decide and that old saying "what's in your wallet?" applies here.

Also, without seeing the invoice from Nat, I cannot comment on his pricing. Yet, the main questions to be answered are this, what do you want your visuals to look like and what is better...you doing it or someone like Nat coming too do it for you (which I assume is included in his pricing)?

Guys have been chasing the ultimate visuals rainbow to only come up short in bad resolution, slow frame rates, the blurries, and so. All the hours spent trying to get there is beyond belief (not just me, but many others). Plus, there was a time where no one really knew what the answers to questions were, as in the ones that you're asking now, but today it's easily found by searching the forum. However, I will save you some time...

Q1: the height of your eyes should be where the horizon is center in your wind screen. So, when seated and level the horizon line will be in the middle.

Q2: most people place the vertical center line in the middle of the windscreen from left to right. Although, you're technically flying in a crab view due to the way the simulator programs work, so some people shift it over to center the captain's eye point or the first officer's eye point.
When looking out above the windscreen and below it, what do you want too see? Ceiling/backwall, carpet or whatever floor type, basically anything the screen does not cover? My screen goes from ceiling to floor minus the 2"-3" on top and bottom for the screen frame, so the screen can be put up tight. Thus, in my case, my projected visuals cover the entire white area of the screen, so that is what I see when leaning forward and looking up or down.

Q3: the distance of the screen is measured from the throttle handles out to the center of the projected center screen (unless you shift it like I said above). I believe it is around 7'-8' radius out, so the simple way is to mark a point (use a nail here) on your ceiling directly above the throttle handles, then measure out a string for the r=8' (this value might be higher or lower based on the aircraft simulated). Now, with one end of the string attached to the nail, attach a pencil to the other end and stretch the string out level making point marks or just draw the circle on the ceiling. Keep the string even as you go around (loop knot on string so it will spin and not wrap) and you'll have the location of where your screen should be based on the ceiling. For the bottom, you just drop a plum to get the vertical level and mark on the floor with tape or whatever, now you have the bottom screen location on the curve.

If you want 180 degree only draw a 180 degree half circle, if you want to 220 degress; well, you draw the 220 on the ceiling. I just drew the whole circle and marked it off in degrees based on 10 degrees all the way around (makes it easier to find 220). Then, if you want to cover up your pencil circle, paint your ceilng black like I did, plus it helps with reflective light...but, that is another matter in itself that you will find out by doing it yourself, along with many other variables...

Lastly, here are a few pointer questions for you (you do not need to answer them for me, but for yourself):

-whatever screen you use, does it match your projectors output in contrast ratio/brightness?
-what type of frame will you use?
-planning no screen, but plan on using a curved wall like drywall, that's painted? Who will build it and paint it the right color?
-what type of projectors are you going to use...short throw, HD, Ultra HD? If you're going to use 3 projectors, who will you buy them from and what kind of support will you get from that company. Also, how many pixels must be burnt out before they exchange any one of the three...1-2-3...25? Just one or two burnt pixels in your direct view will drive you crazy!
-did you put your screen up without touching it with your bare hands or letting it touch the floor? One good dirt spot is enough too ruin it...better yet, a bug that someone else saw and whack!...now you got a dead bug stain that will not come out.
-did you change your mind after reading my post and decide to go with large lcd screen monitors?...lol ???? Okay, how many, what stands will you use, do you know the difference and what you gain/lose between monitors versus projectors and a screen?

I could keep going here, but I won't because I don't want to scare you off...instead, I want to help you. Still, no matter how much I can say here in postings, there is no way I can account for all the variables you will encounter; unless, I came to your house and helped you do it or do it for you...

Ask Karen/Simlady about that part. When I say I do this or that, I really mean her because of reasons shown in my older posts...search them out amongst the others like Scott, the other Jack, Sam, Trevor, and so on. Better yet, look at Brian Williamson's post right now, you can see some of the variables he is facing...here:

http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=6373.msg45431;topicseen#new

Best Regards,

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Nat Crea

QuoteI don't mind paying $25000 for a highly complex motorized Yoke or Throttle  but just a screen is way too much.

I Really don't want/need to publicly discuss a commercial discussion I had with Jack here,
BUT just for the record, my quote (in AUD$) included the following, not "just a screen":

1 x System Design
1 x Custom made screen
3 x HD Projectors
3 X Heavy Duty mounts
1 x Custom built i7 computer
1 x TruVIEW software
1 x Complete On-site installation and true 200-220FOV image alignment as per
      www.natvis.com.au/case-studies

All in 2-3 days, not years...100% guaranteed.

Nat

blueskydriver

Hi Nat,

No worries :idiot:

John

blueskydriver

I read my longer post again and at the end it sounds like I am actually offering to come do it for you. Just in case that confuses anyone, that is not what I meant at all.

My offering to help anyone is only through this forum. I leave the true onsite help to guys like Nat, or Steve (FDS)... 8)

John

Edit: typo

JWS

Blueskydriver, not wanting to scare off? I was thinking about a modest curved screen for a single seat cockpit, but hell, what am I getting into? :-\

Regards,
JWS

Edit: modest meaning about 140 degrees with 1 projector (because 180 with 2 projectors will probably be too difficult).

ammarmalhas

I have 3 projectors, now setup with a 216° cylindrical screen. I love it. It gives a great immersive feeling.
I think a 140° screen one projector setup will be the same "trouble" of 3 or even 5 projectors, it may take a bit longer to install and calibrate but you will be doing the same exact things with a one or more projector setup.
You will have to plan and install the projector(s), build the screen of course, buy some warping/blending software, learn how to use it and proceed.
It will be costly.
A 140° can be two large LCD displays and you will get crispier images with higher resolution, but you will have a bezel line between them. You may get used to it and eventually do not notice it.
Please remember that more than one projector/LCD monitor means more views in your sim which means less fps. Two monitors/projectors means 1/2 the fps, 3 means 1/3 and so on.
I hope I did not add to your scare. :o ::) :huh:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate