Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 11:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
542 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 542
Total: 542

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 MIP and best monitor layout

Started by mdavenport, March 24, 2017, 02:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

I'm looking to get a full size 737 MIP and wondered what the best monitor setup is. At the moment I have 3 x 23" IPS for the out of the window view but not sure this is best for a full MIP setup? Would I be better with 4 screens so they can be positioned like the 4 main front and side windows?

It would be good if you could share some of your setup photos showing the screens you have and how you have them with a MIP?

I know some will say get projectors but I don't have the space for them (at the moment)...

Hope you can help.

jackpilot

IMHO and 2¢

23 inches is far too small,
4 Screens will kill your Frame rate

Outside Image has to be at least 3 feet away  from the front window to get a realistic immersion.
As you say you do not have the room for the moment, I would use either one large TV (50-60) or a short throw projector to get a huge image in front of you.
Keep the sides for later , when you have enough  room.
------------
This is with one regular 1024X768 projector (not really high tech resolution but good enough for me)

Jack

mdavenport

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback and noted on the 23" screens - I suspected as much.

In terms of a short throw projector, how much distance does the outside image need to be from the MIP.. Is this still 3 feet away even with a short throw projector?

Anything bigger will need to wait until I get a new sim "hanger" so just trying to get the best I can to keep me happy when I have my MIP.

At the moment these 3 screens are approx. 95cm away from my eyeline running 1.00 zoom.

Thanks

jackpilot

The outside image has to be far from the windshield frame, medium of short throw does nt matter, like the landscape behind your kitchen window, when you move your head you see things that were hidden by the window frame. Has to be the same for the sim.. the further possible the better as long as it fills the windshield.
My 2¢

Jack

mdavenport

Understood. I think the only thing for me to add is that I am going from flying on the desk and getting the MIP to get me off the desk. So for now I won't have window frame but hope to as my sim progresses to something bigger and somewhere with more room but for now I need to make the best of the 3x23" screens.

XOrionFE

60" TVs work very nice if going TV route.  You would need 5 to wrap around a scale nose

mdavenport

They look good... What specification TV is needed for a good simulator screen, i.e. refresh rates and connector (HDMI?). etc?

mdavenport

navymustang

They are great for single seat aircraft like a fighter where you can put your eyepoint in the middle of the screen. But for a large cockpit with two pilots, or even a single seat 737 where you sit to the left of the center, this device is of limited use.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

roarkr

I am using a BENQ 1080ST (short throw 1920*1080 projector) and it gives me a good 80-90 inches front view.

www.flightsim4fun.com

mdavenport

My only option at the moment would be to go for a bigger tv/monitor.

I think I can fit a screen of approx. 75cm tall through my loft hatch so should be able to get a 50" screen in to my sim room.

As I have not purchased TV / monitors of this size, can anyone provide me any recommendations?

I am assuming I would need to go for a 4k but would I need a curved display.

Also what resolution would be best on a screen this size?

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate