Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
466 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 514
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 466
Total: 467

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

12v power supply for map light

Started by Skysurfer170, January 14, 2019, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skysurfer170

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to purchase the FDS map light and also the dimmer unit. Does anyone recommend a good 12v power supply for this? Not sure what i'm looking for and i'm not electrical minded.

Appreciate the help.

jackpilot

Get any PC Power supply new, or better second hand, in shops that do computer maintenance. Around  $20 . You will get 5V (red wires) 12V (yellow) ground (black) To make it work you need to
Join the green wire (there is just one) with any ground.

Piece of cake!

Jack

Skysurfer170

Will i cut off the additional wires from it? Also what if i need longer wires?

blueskydriver

Hi Vernon,

A computer power supply has connectors normally for internal connections. However, to use it for your needs, do as Jack suggested, but only cut the connectors off the wires you need. For myself, I'd just remove the connector and wire it to whatever I need it for.

As for extension wires, use those that are about the same size as the ones your cutting the connectors off of. If you look at the wires on the power supply, they might have the sizes written on them. Look for AWG and a number, that is the wire sizing, then head off to a hardware store and buy some spools of wire of that size...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

The best is to cut off all terminals and arrange your PSU so that you can use it for other applications
Something in that vein.

Besides, the FDS lights use LEDs, AWG 20 is more than enough

Jack

blueskydriver

What Jack is doing looks very nice and neat, plus he's using wiring blocks/connectors with fused sections. Having things like this is much safer and makes it easier later on to find errors with power and fix them; a lot of other builders use block connectors as well.

Here is a really old book (pdf link), yet still good enough to use today, if you know little about electronics. Go through it and even try some of the examples...

https://archive.org/details/Radio_Shack_-_Basic_Electronics_Share_Me_Self_Help_Ebook_-_Pdf1/page/n1

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

awdoman

Another way than mentioned above where you dont have to cut any wires, is to buy what is call a Breakout board.  Amazon has this version or there are others.  Check it out, it may help you as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Salon-20-pin-Supply-Breakout-Module/dp/B01NBU2C64/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547575967&sr=8-5&keywords=computer+psu+breakout+board

blueskydriver

Good find Eric! I will order some of these for myself...thank you!  :idiot:

John

Skysurfer170

Thanks alot guys.

That breakout board looks awesome, i may purchase one of those and a ATX PSU to connect it to.

Now i have a question - If I decide to purchase this board do I connect the dimmer and the phidgets relay card i will be using to it

Skysurfer170

Hey guys i just drew this with a normal PSU

mickc

Use the relay to switch the positive side, and also use the Normally Open contact (NO) you have it shown  wired to the Normally Closed contact

Skysurfer170

Now i'm conf With all this electrical stuff

bernard S

no offence     buy book understanding electronics and electrical curcuits    be a great help to you

fordgt40

Buying from Opencockpits their prices exclude VAT and postage will be dear. Ebay is your best bet

Joe Lavery

You could pick up a second hand one that would be fine for a fraction of that price, even buying a broken PC would be better. There are so many bits you can get from so called scrap equipment.
:2cw:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jackpilot

PC repair shops are full of them.
They will sell you a good one for some $20 flat.

Jack

757Simulator

Quote from: bernard S on January 16, 2019, 06:17:24 AM
no offence     buy book understanding electronics and electrical curcuits    be a great help to you

::)

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

That link I posted for the older hand written book for Radio Shack is actually a very good read. I used mine (in book form) when first starting my sim project. I already knew electronics somewhat, but not enough of the "why" for this or that.

Anyhow, you can download and print out the PDF version, just scroll down the web page then choose PDF download. I just tested this and it was fine with no errors or viruses... :idiot:

Happy Soldering,

John

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate