Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
516 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 517
Total: 517

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

My sim progress to date.

Started by Steve A, March 07, 2010, 04:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hale

Hilarious Steve..  the Silent treatment sucks...  just try to hang in there :)
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Boeing Skunk Works

So does sanding down the dining table and refinishing.

Life being married... 8)
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

ETomlin

Quote from: Boeing Skunk Works on March 16, 2010, 09:22:48 PM
So does sanding down the dining table and refinishing.

Life being married... 8)

I LOVE being married, but I laugh a little as I imagine what would happen and what I'd say to myself if I scratched the table and was NOT married...probably something like, "Oh."
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

shaneb

Now in this instance Steve could have responded to the wife in this manner. . .   "Sweetheart I'm sorry for scratching the table . . I should have known better than trying to build that TQ myself, I should have just bought the commercially made TQ for $3000.00 then I would not have scratched the table. I'll do better next time"     :D

Hey Steve if you do try this, let us know how it turns out.     ;D

Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Steve A

I ordered phidget sliders today. I got some slide pots locally ( very cheap ones ) but they were totally unsuitable. I have the open cockpits axis card coming too so hopefully by next week i'll have everything interfaced. I do have spare inputs on the buo836x card up on the overhead but i reckon i cant have enough inputs as my build progresses. I managed to get hold of 3 detent plungers too so all in all the throttle should function pretty well.

Jack comes up with the design and enginneering, then i copy his ideas  :o I just hope i get a few years out of the throttle as its all mostly mdf, the levers will last for ever its the bits i made im worried about lol

The dining table has been repaired but im forever banished from interacting with the rest of the family when i have anything to do with flight simulation in my hands.  :D

Steve A

Still loads of work to do but its very enjoyable.
I fitted padraig style handles, i know the power Handles should be closer together and i may look at that in the future.
Other stuff i have done is made a base, added stab trim switches, parking brake and light, and i just stuck some dummy trim wheels on to see how the looked. Just wish the axis card would come now!!

Steve A

I have put the tq in the sim temporary and wired up one cheap slide pot, mainly its because its Easter and the postmen dont return to work here till next wednesday, and i need to fly albeit with one lever lol.

jackpilot

Hey, is'nt it fun to play with a throttle and virtually feeling that great push in the back!!
Enjoy, very nice.

JP

Jack

Bob Reed

Jack. I know you have heard this a million time but... Nice.... Wow!! :idiot:

jackpilot

You are mixed up Bob!  ;) :laugh:
This is Steve's throttle, which, by the way,  merits your comments 100%.

Jack

shaneb

Hey Jack,

Maybe Bob was talking about your Easter basket!   hehehe   :idiot: 
Intel i7-4960X LGA 2011 / Asus Rampage Blk edition MB / EVGA Geforce Titan Blk video card / Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz 32GB / EVGA 1300w PSU / Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD / WD Black series 1TB 7200rpm HD / CoolerMaster Seidon 240 liquid cooler /  CoolerMaster 932 HAF case / Windows 7 Pro 64

Bob Reed

HA!!! YOu are so right Jack...... Steve.... Nice work! See too many great looking homebuilt throttles! But then again it is real easy to get me confused....  :huh:

Trevor Hale

Oh common Bob.. your always confused :)

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Bob Reed

Steve A

A little update to my build, I was never happy with the cdu bay or lack of it  :-[ so this
afternoon i set about trying to make it look a bit more like the 737.
I've also started on a home made yoke made from some bits i found in a skip  :P
As my build is really a single seat trainer with 1st officer screens if that makes sense i'm not going to try and do dual yokes or have 2 cdu at this stage as no-one only myself ever enters the cockpit. I placed the lower eicas screen in the cdu bay and wished i had done it from the start, its so much better having the screen there to use for atc, graphical cdu, maps etc. Now i need to save up for a proper cdu and throw the vri one away  :o and get the yoke control from opencockpits. Other news the full fwd and aft overhead is getting posted out on weds and i received the axis card from opencockpits, still waiting on the phidget sliders though and as soon as the ovh arrives i need to think about ordering 2 more joystick cards and 2 led64's from phidgets, that should keep me busy over summer.
Here's the pictures.

Screen in place and ready for making good.

Everything glued and ready for paint.

Painted.

Vri cdu in place and everything re-installed.

Dawn at Heathrow checking the screen works.

Here is the start of the Yoke.

Regards Steve

XOrionFE

Trevor Hale

Looks Excellent.  The CDU Bay really makes a difference to your pit Steve.  Great Job.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Steve A

Hi guys, just a little update to my build.
Its the start of the overhead for me now, i haven't yet finished the throttle or the yoke and now my overhead has arrived.
I'm very very happy with the quality and now i have the task of wiring once again, this will keep me indoors for the long hot summer ( wheres that aircon remote )

I was thinking of a couple of buo836x joystick cards for the switches and led64 cards from phidgets for the annunciators. Anyone else use this combo?

Trevor Hale

Steve, I use 4 bodnar boards for the switch inputs and 2 Phidgets LED64's for the annunciators..  So yes, I am using that combo.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

Steve A

Thanks Trevor, i just took a look at the aviation megastore website and found the led64 cards for around 90 euro, thats not bad i thought and went through the order process, then they tried to wallop me with over 50 euros postage, now im angry that something so small could possibly cost so much in postage, i ordered a led card from opencockpits instead, total price 70 euros inclusive of postage. I have to make these sacrifices on such a budget.

The overhead is temp in the sim so i can get some flights in maybe tomorrow,  i havent flown for ages. 1 leo card and 1 axis card with 24 inputs thru a matrix will keep me going till other cards are ordered/arrive.
This has been my most enjoyable part of the sim i have built so far.

jackpilot

Very nice front office!
Coming along real good.

Jack

shaneb

I really enjoy seeing the cockpit start taking shape . .  that looks great Steve.  Hope you can get some flying time in!     :idiot:

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate